• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lucky ☆ Star!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I LOL'd at episode 6! Laughing

spoiler[THAT is how you do an Initial D parody! They pretty much nailed every main aspect of the series, and it probably cost quite of bit of their budget.

Man, the teacher sucks at directions. No thanks to Konota though!

DAMN, Miyuki has a nice body! Embarassed

Though Konota's swimsuit....ummm well it reinforces the fact she's freakin' small!

Yeah, shooting the watermelon does seem wasteful and messy. Of course "those guys" learned it the hard way when "he" did it. Wink

Has anyone payed close attention to Miyuki in the bath house scene? Now you know why you get damaged hair after your fun time in the ocean. Surprised

Speaking of bath houses, it also reinforces the fact that Konota's hair is viciously long!

Hmmm, were Kagami and Tsukasa talking about that "time of month" which would suck especially if you go to the beach?

That was a pretty trippy sequence of Tsukasa imagining being underwater once she put that shell up into her ear. And it ended in a rather....yeah! Laughing

Lucky Channel was very amusing this time especially when Akari beats up Minoru, shows the finger, and sort of bashes the state of the otaku of today.]

I LOL'd at episode 6 also~!

spoiler[OMG that Initial D parody was the bomb. I seriously laughed when I saw it. It had all the basic things that Initial D had, even the yellow Rx-7. They truly captured the art of Initial D with the frame changes from the foot petals, stick shift, whell, etc. It even included the well known drain ditch turn.

Man I love beach episodes. I would've loved to see Konota in a 2-piece. That school bathing suit was just too plain but she still looked cute in it.

And yes, that information that Miyuki supplied us was very informative. I noticed that Konota was washing her hair very aggressively. I know that feeling, it's really hard to take care of long hair.

I think that Kagami and Tsukasa were talking about "that time of month." Then Konota comes along and Kagami's like "..." xD

Yeah this week's Lucky Channel was indeed more amusing with Akari being A LOT more aggressive. I like how she has that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Complex, goes from cute to demonishly cute xD]

Can't wait for 7~!
dgreater1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Eps. 6 gave me one of the most LOL experience.

Indeed the spoiler[Initial D parody was a the BOMB, I was sure a reference would happen when a yellow FD past them, but I wasn't expecting I would be laughing out loud that my lungs begun to hurt. That was a pretty long laugh to tell you, the cup of water, the steering, the changing of gears, the finger hitting the steering wheel and also the spectator commenting about the race, even the BGM style was referenced. But the bomb was the gutter turn! That long reference really made my lungs hurt from laughing. The Danzen Pretty Cure Song was hilarious too. And the next scene after Tsukasa's seriousness when she was listening to sea breeze with a big shell. This is definitely a LOL moment episode for those who can follow. I must also say, Miyuki's explanation was really informative, a useless information though Anime smile; I'm beginning to see one of Kotomi's characteristic in her.]

Lucky Star gets better and better I tell you. You have more experience with anime & games to be able to follow up though :3

Last edited by dgreater1 on Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess one of the best things about having a lackluster first episode is that the series can go nowhere but up. Lucky☆Star has been consistantly improving quite immensely, IMHO, which is very rare for pretty much any anime I've seen thus far.

The final picture in the next episode preview of ep. 6 makes me very hopeful of a good Higurashi parody coming up next... ^_^
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Can anyone explain to me what Timotei is. I don't understand that one at all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
It's a shampoo brand. Supposedly Konota was imitating a really old shampoo commercial where a girl stroked her hair. Cousin Yui got the reference since it existed in her time period.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:

Apparently if you Google it; it's shampoo. I'm guessing that Konata was copying a shampoo commercial.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
ryokoalways wrote:

Apparently if you Google it; it's shampoo. I'm guessing that Konata was copying a shampoo commercial.

That's the one joke I didn't get in the episode.

The spoiler[Initial D & Pretty Cure] references were hilarious. Plus I like how they spoiler[poke fun of fan-service] in the second half.

Also, funniest Lucky Channel segment yet! Would anyone out there want to host a show with Akira?!?!
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

Also, funniest Lucky Channel segment yet! Would anyone out there want to host a show with Akira?!?!

I think I would give it a shot, but we'll probably end up fighting and wasting the audience's time arguing about pointless things. Not that the Lucky Channel now is pointless or anything :3
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy the show, but not the lucky channel bit, that's probably the only part I actually find consistently annoying. Obviously when I don't get a joke or reference (which isn't that often) but the channel is consistently unfunny.
acff

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
from the very first scene of the first ep i was like "oh, it's going to be that kind of show"

and i'm not disappointed, even if it was slow to start
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how long this has been the case, but...

Motteke! Sailor Fuku full version is finally out! (In other words: Motteke! Single album has recently been released). 4 additional minutes of insanely cute hyperactive goodness!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Indeed, when the translator translated some of that as stuff like:

"all-nighter for sure lololo
I'm feeling it tonight roflcopterskates
bbq"

Oh man, that was a genuine laugh out loud moment.

I found that immensely funny too, but they obviously weren't accurate translations, I don't think there's really any way to translate Japanese 1337 into English or even English 1337. What's the deal with all the w's? and the random hiragana characters, dormcat you have any light to shed on this?
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
selenta wrote:
Indeed, when the translator translated some of that as stuff like:

"all-nighter for sure lololo
I'm feeling it tonight roflcopterskates
bbq"

Oh man, that was a genuine laugh out loud moment.

I found that immensely funny too, but they obviously weren't accurate translations, I don't think there's really any way to translate Japanese 1337 into English or even English 1337. What's the deal with all the w's? and the random hiragana characters, dormcat you have any light to shed on this?

@Past - The strings of w's are just shorthand for a form of the Japanese verb warau, which means "to laugh". The more w's in the string, the funnier the poster thinks it is. It is basically the Japanese equivalent of LOL or ROFL. I don't have that episode of LS on the computer I'm using right now, so I can't give you an answer regarding the hiragana characters.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh thanks. It's probably pointless to try to translate that that chat text faithfully. Hmm I wonder how the R1 companies are going to handle it should Lucky Star get licensed.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
It is possible to relate to the luckystar's characters, but the amount of refrences in it makes it also very obscure to someone who doesn't watch much anime or play games. I wonder if it will get published here.
I like the the gamer girl's father, probably some kinda of weird otaku, and in a way it is actually indirectly addressing the audience. but the nerd power of the blue hair girl (sorry, bad with names) is kinda beaten right now.
over all , awesome till now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 31