• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil May Cry.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty pleased with the bike and bridge sequences in episode 2

(though, the posted yotube clips are pretty awesome as well... if not more so).

The speed effects used were pretty cool.

And the stuff with Patty in it is still amusing (she's apparently trying to raise business prospects...)

That said, I need to get to episode 3...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two episodes through my DVD player (burnt them to a DVD-RW). The art and animation are quite sleek (duh!~ Madhouse Anime exclamation). I don't remember Lady actually looking the least bit attractive in DMC3, and her voice actress really distorted my perception of her character, but she seems a lot more alluring in the anime Anime catgrin.

Also, I have to say the music is actually a lot better than I expected. I don't know if the composer(s) are the same as the video game, but they definitely did a good job with a mix of rock, techno, and even that little bit of acoustic guitar I heard in DMC's office.

Voice acting is pretty solid as well. While I prefer Toshiyuki Morikawa to play those really morbid villain or anti-hero-type characters (Alex Row, Griffith, Naraku, Sephiroth), he doesn't seem so bad as Dante. He lacks a lot of the humor that the video game had in his cocky dialogue, but he definitely pulls of the bad ass part pretty well.

The only thing I'm concerned about his where the story will go. From what I can gather, a majority of the series will probably be episodic. But since the games didn't have much of a plot either, I think I'd prefer if they just threw together a lot of "cool" missions and maybe some semblance of a story sometime after the second half.

I think they could do some pretty cool things with the series as a whole if they just made up some decent writing. But other than, it retains a lot of the over-the-top and stylish ambiance of the games so far, which isn't really a bad thing if you just want eye candy.

Hopefully, if the series is decent enough to eventually buy, Right Stuf will have the entire series with artbox in the Bargain Bin just like all of their other ADV titles Smile.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was pretty funny. It's a cat fight between spoiler[Lady and Trish.] It wasn't best of fights but was certainly amusing. At first I thought spoiler[Trish was dead and some demon had just consumed her soul and taken the form of her.] Now we know that there's going to be more to the series. Can't say this episode really lead any where but it had a nice ending. Dante has no luck with money at all. Laughing
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Devil May Cry episode 3

Hmm... this episode was fairly touching; while the whole difficulties of unconventional relationships thing has been done before, I like how it applied here since it was something that Dante could reflect on; got to learn more about him because of this episode.

That said, the cheesy/snappy dialogue is really fun and I feel like Dante is a more solid character because of his little quirks (good at fighting, bad at gambling, bad with women, hates olives on his pizza, eternally in debt).

And the focal theme of the show seems to be "appearances are deceving."

Though, my fears of the animation not being as sharp as the first episode pretty much came about here; there were some awkward moments, but then it's not too bad, I guess.

Some sharp sequences, but the action sequence at the end could've looked better.

(and is really a letdown when you consider the excellent bike sequence the episode before)

====================

Damn, I'm an episode behind yo.
zozer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I like all the action, but I would like a main plot line please?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 3. The writing wasn't too bad at all. It's a little weird that I'd experience this much more depth in comparison to the games, but I like the way it's headed so far (in fact, I think I'll bump my rating from Decent up to Good).

Dante seems a lot wiser in the anime than wise-cracking, though he still has his moments (I love his straight-forwardness about TVs interrupting his naps, his love for beer and olive-less pizzas, etc.). In the games, he was just a bunch of witty humor and "I'm gonna' kill you monsters" mentality.

Here, I think Morikawa and the script add a little more to his character, something I never experienced from the game version of Dante. I actually like it a lot. But one thing I wish they could've done better with was extending the fights. I mean, yeah he's an uber-talented devil hunter and everything, but it's just too easy (much like the 2nd game Rolling Eyes). I kind of wish the series were longer so they could draw things out a little more, be it the fights, story, character development, or drama.

But oh well, maybe there's a chance they'll make either a 2nd season or OAV extension one of these days. It's definitely got style in the presentation. I just wish they could put a tad more into it Anime hyper.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Anyone still keeping up? I know the lack of a central plot leaves more to be desired. But if you're a fan of the game, the style and presentation should be nothing short of expected.

I watched episode 9 today from Ayu-Conclave, and I'm really liking how the series is turning out. It's episodic, yes, but it retains a lot of the "coolness" and "flashiness" of the game, making for a nice combination of drama, action, and some subtle comedy between Dante and company.

However, is it just me or is Madhouse sort of giving up on the animation? I'm sure the franchise is decently popular enough to warrant a group like that to even draw it, the animation quality seems really.. choppy in the last 3-4 episodes, and I don't mean slideshow-choppy like the style they use in Gungrave and Claymore. I don't know how else to describe it, but just doesn't seem to possess as much fluidity as the first few episodes.

Other than that, I would really like to buy this series when it comes out on DVD, if not to be a completionist for the games (minus the 2nd one). Of course, being an ADV title, I again can just wait until Right Stuf puts in their Bargain Bin, and I'll be all set. I'm also curious to hear this in (Japanese) 5.1 eventually Smile.

Oh, and I have to say again, great soundtrack. It's on the cusp of grading in the A's for me at this point. It fits very well with the mood of each episode, and I love the opening theme music. It's especially bittersweet and descriptive of Dante's character when it gets to the strings part (love that melody Anime hyper).
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
At this point. I just want Dante to use Devil Trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnHLsEjvzs

That would sell the series for me if Dante did that.
Shunsui

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Does Devil May Cry have the potential to be a great Anime series? That is a question that keeps coming to mind. I have played the games and loved them. But a game turned in to an Anime, have not found many of those. But it's still a young series and you can judge an anime in such an early stage. Well I like it so far, how about you?
Demonise69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
Yea, Devil May Cry rocks!
The anime series is awesome, and the action is great, but with only 12 eps I can't really see where the series is going. If you ask me they need more action and less...randomness? I dunno lol that's just my opinion. All in all this is a great addition to an already brilliant series
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
Shunsui wrote:
Does Devil May Cry have the potential to be a great Anime series? That is a question that keeps coming to mind. I have played the games and loved them. But a game turned in to an Anime, have not found many of those. But it's still a young series and you can judge an anime in such an early stage. Well I like it so far, how about you?
Note: I merged this with the main Devil May Cry thread.

Um, there are plenty of anime from games, among them Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Gungrave, Xenosaga, Disgaea, Orphen, and any of the many dating-game adaptations.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed in Devil May Cry because it had the background and potential to be a great action anime but instead we got served with something rather lacklustre and dialed in at times.

I quit watching around episode 4 and opinions from people still watching ssaid it showed no sign of improvement. This aniemes quality turned out to be DMC 2 instead of DMC 3 :(
baggzient

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I have recently signed up to this forum purely for the purpose of voicing my opinion on the crap series on DMC. I am huge fan of the game and hearing of the release of an anime on DMC...well you can imagine my heart was racing.

I was expecting the plot from DMC 1 and 3 (DMC 2 seemed to be just a filler) to be used in the anime series.

I was expecting to see the fight scenes last longer than 5 second K.O.s I was also hoping that each episode ( or mission!) would lead to a much more substantial end to the series referencing either, Mundus or the battle with Virgil or any of the great fights in between.

I mean where the great bosses in this series ONE BOSS and it only lasted for like 5 secs.

I hope the makers of this anime especially the director SHIN ITAGAKI is reading this cos I think you boys must have been playing Crash Bandicoot or something cos you did not do DMC any justice by putting out this seriously lame series.

Im pissed!!! no swash buckling action, no devil trigger ( or what like 2 secs where you see his eye in eps12 ooohh!) no reasoning behind his strawberry sundae obsession. Where did the girls come from, why are they teaming with dante? If you've never played the game they just look like random hoes shooing away to impress him!!

Dont the producers realise that the two woman have amazing stories of their own but YOU GUYS and I mean the creators of the anime failed to bring them up.

Wheres before and after virgil.
If you think about it doesnt make sense, DMC 1 is where he met the Trish , and thats when Virgil was already working on the dark side of the force ( recall the necklace dante and the demon have in the game).

Now heres the mess up, DMC 3 is the prequel to DMC 1 and here dante meets the half demon tomb raider...how can trish be his old partner in the anime shouldnt be the other way round!!! RUBBISH I TELL YA!! AAAARGGHHH
I hate to think what will be put up on the next 12 eps cos I cant watch anymore.

In my opinion I think the anime should b scrapped and thought out a lot more. For those who have played the game knows that DMC emplores itself over the intense and adreline fuelled fight scenes not just with your usual minions but with them badass bosses.

They should start the series from DMC 1 game where dante is called to his first mission. They could easily string out episodes reaching 50 or 60 with the finale being MUNDUS.

I mean how difficult is it to produce a anime with the plot already drawn out from the game.

This anime had potential and could have been sooooo much more.

I beg of the creators to reconsider the anime and start from fresh!!!!!
Joey Shuuyu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
If you have, can you share some details about the show?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Use the search, if you put in "devil may cry" make sure you select it to use all terms, not any.

[Threads merged ~Zalis]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5