• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08

Yeah, I feel ya on that one. I brought my copy of Angel Beats! with me when I visited my family over the holidays. My younger brother started off making fun of it, but soon enough the next day I caught him marathoning his way through the whole series. Couldn't get him to watch PMMM with me though (that's when I checked it out for the first time).
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I didn't think there were other people like that, haha. Anime kind of seemed like something that you either grew up with, or you didn't. Apparently that is not the case as much as I thought. Its cool to see the community grow o much lately. I'm always trying to get friends and family to give it a shot too. Very Happy

Without Netflix, I most certainly would NEVER have checked out any anime, let alone would I have ever thought I'd someday own over 300 blu rays and DVD of the stuff (especially considering that I owned exactly ZERO hard copies of ANY television/movie media beforehand). Instant streaming and other such services have completely changed the game.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I didn't think there were other people like that, haha. Anime kind of seemed like something that you either grew up with, or you didn't. Apparently that is not the case as much as I thought. Its cool to see the community grow o much lately. I'm always trying to get friends and family to give it a shot too. Very Happy

Without Netflix, I most certainly would NEVER have checked out any anime, let alone would I have ever thought I'd someday own over 300 blu rays and DVD of the stuff (especially considering that I owned exactly ZERO hard copies of ANY television/movie media beforehand). Instant streaming and other such services have completely changed the game.

Agreed. While I have nowhere near as many as 300 copies, if you had asked me 13 months ago whether I'd be watching anime, let alone owning the 40 or so blu-rays/DVDs that I do, I'd have said you were crazy. The instant stream medium was the perfect way for me to get into it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:
Agreed. While I have nowhere near as many as 300 copies, if you had asked me 13 months ago whether I'd be watching anime, let alone owning the 40 or so blu-rays/DVDs that I do, I'd have said you were crazy. The instant stream medium was the perfect way for me to get into it.

Funny story. Pretty much the exact same thing as both of you, lol. Two years ago I didn't own a single DVD/Blu-ray of anything. It was just clutter in my parents house and nothing I had seen till then was all that great anyway. Started watching anime a little after that(thank you Netflix!!)... now I pretty much consider myself a collector. I'm starting to get into artbooks and stuff too. Just set up my shelf to stack them on!
I wish I had the budget to buy 300 shows in that amount of time haha.
I just got my copies of PMMM and Fate/Zero. Very Happy
Aniplex is a little pricey, but also usually worth it.

@MacAttack270
Quote:
Yeah, I feel ya on that one. I brought my copy of Angel Beats! with me when I visited my family over the holidays. My younger brother started off making fun of it, but soon enough the next day I caught him marathoning his way through the whole series. Couldn't get him to watch PMMM with me though (that's when I checked it out for the first time).

Sad Its probably because of the whole "magical girls" thing.
I usually start people off with Studio Ghibli stuff and see what they like from there. I definitely have gotten a few converts! Death Note and FMA seem to be pretty good starters too.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I wish I had the budget to buy 300 shows in that amount of time haha.

Yeahhh, I've kinda gone over the deep end lol Having a well-paying job has become both a blessing and a curse over the past year. I do work in television though, so maybe I can find some way to write them all off as business expenses and hope my tax return ends up in the hands of an IRS agent on his or her first day.

Anyway, I try to actively watch about 10 shows at a time so I can make a nice dent in my backlog (which as of right now right now stands at about 2/3 of my entire collection), but my purchasing continuously outpaces my viewing. At this rate, it will be literally YEARS before I'm caught up.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Sad Its probably because of the whole "magical girls" thing.
I usually start people off with Studio Ghibli stuff and see what they like from there. I definitely have gotten a few converts! Death Note and FMA seem to be pretty good starters too.

Yeah, to be quite honest, I wasn't too thrilled about the "magical girl" aspect as well; comments from users on here gave me the push though to give it a shot. 'Ole PMMM even tried to lure me into thinking it was just a classic magical girl anime with those first two episodes. Luckily, enough of it was interesting to keep me going to ep 3, and then bam, that ending with the new ED had me hooked.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeahhh, I've kinda gone over the deep end lol Having a well-paying job has become both a blessing and a curse over the past year. I do work in television though, so maybe I can find some way to write them all off as business expenses and hope my tax return ends up in the hands of an IRS agent on his or her first day.

Anyway, I try to actively watch about 10 shows at a time so I can make a nice dent in my backlog (which as of right now right now stands at about 2/3 of my entire collection), but my purchasing continuously outpaces my viewing. At this rate, it will be literally YEARS before I'm caught up.

Haha, good luck with your taxes!
I've been trying to pull myself back from the deep end for the last couple of months, but it isn't working too well, especially with an anime convention in about 2 weeks. I try to only buy shows that I have already seen though, so that helps somewhat.

Quote:
Yeah, to be quite honest, I wasn't too thrilled about the "magical girl" aspect as well; comments from users on here gave me the push though to give it a shot. 'Ole PMMM even tried to lure me into thinking it was just a classic magical girl anime with those first two episodes. Luckily, enough of it was interesting to keep me going to ep 3, and then bam, that ending with the new ED had me hooked.

I had pretty much the same experience, haha. THAT scene...
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Name: lostbirdinatree
Drink/Smoke: Neither.
Favourite music: Electronic music - mostly dance, electropop and whatever the big names in DJing can cook up - and pretty much anything Coldplay.
Favourite games: The Mirapolis Investigation, Pokemon Black 2, Pokemon Emerald
Favourite anime: Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Detective Conan, Hataraku Maousama, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Angelic Layer (in no particular order).
Favourite manga: everything in the favourite anime list + Yuusen Shojo - Plug-in Girl -, Hikaru no Go, Bound Beauty (in no particular order, and going by what I liked as of this post). This list changes a lot though...
Likes: Being knowledgeable about things. Suggesting anime/manga to others. Barbecue sauce...lots of things go well with it.
Dislikes: Bleach, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Free! - the big 4 things I'm irked about.
Fun facts about lostbirdinatree:
>Played piano up until end of 2013. Only ever taught myself to play one song in that length of time, and that was 'Don't You Worry Child'.
>May be considered self promotion but I have 2 tumblrs. Drop by Courage, a Word of Justice or LOL Yeah Shinichi some time.
>As you may find out from the latter tumblr, sometimes my humour is a bit...weird. Or maybe just obscure references.
May come back and update this some time...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
lostbirdinatree--

Since this is only your 2nd post, I'll take the liberty of saying...

WELCOME TO THE FORA!!! Cool Smile Very Happy
NerdtasticXFox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Name: Aisha Craig, friends call me Aya or Aiya. I have been called AiAi. Call me what you like.

Sex: Female

Blood Type: O+

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: African-American

Religion: Christian ( Baptist)

Pets: None, but want one

Drink/Smoke: Uh No smoking, but I drink when I'm curious about a drink.

Likes: A lot of things. Hehehe, a few things I like are uh, music, reading, writing, drawing, I'm recently getting into science fiction.

Dislikes: Can't list them all, but I definitely hate ignorance and stupidity.

Favorite anime: HAHAHAHAHA! Like I have one. How cute. Two of my favorites are Blue Exorcist and Durarara.

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Uh, I haven't been really reading many manga. Hehehe The only one that I bought and finished was Peach Girl.

Favorite Books: Let's see, I am currently interested in the Percy Jackson series

Favorite TV shows/Movies: I have lots, but what I currently cant enough of are: Doctor Who, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries/The Originals, The Big Bang Theory, the Tomorrow People, Archer.

Favorite Drink: I'm new, so I don't have a favorite.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Soda, Cool-aid, fruit juices

Favorite Foods: Asian, Italian and Mexican cuisine.

Favorite Sites: Heh

Favorite Sport (to watch): Anything martial arts related, boxing

Favorite Sport (to play): Soccer

Favorite Music: I listen to a bit of everything, except Country.

Job: College Student

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/rin.blueexorcist

Hello!
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Welcome NerdtasticXFox! What do you major in?
Summerville is a fun name for a city/town. I hope it lives up to its name.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Aisha--
WELCOME TO THE FORA!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thereat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have lurked for a long time, but as my wife has recently shown much more than her usual interest in anime I thought I would register and perhaps begin to contribute!

Name: Jon - My username is a reference to the characters I tend to play in online gaming - I most often play tank like characters who need to keep threat on the enemy - I created this name as a play on that.

Location: Currently Melbourne in Australia. Originally from the UK.

Age. I would hazard a guess at within the oldest 10% of users here... 36

FavoU (cos there's a U in favourite!! :P) rite anime - Most;y anything with a good story. I am also somewhat of a sucker for mecha..I think my inner 11 year old comes out when I watch them!

Least favourite anime - anything like Naruto, Dragonball etc... I just can't see the point!

My first exposure to Anime was back in the mid 90s with Urotsukidoji, the cut to shreds Manga UK version, and even though I didn't really take notice of the hentai style aspect of it, I actually got engrossed in the story (YES there is a story in Urotsukidoji!) Then a friend and I proceeded to raid our local video rental shop of the massive 6 anime (tho because of the publisher we called them Manga) video tapes they had and devoured them. Going to university stymied my anime habit somewhat, but I have gotten back into it again in the last few years. Hideous antipodean download limits means I can't keep up with everything I would like to, but I am trying to get to watch some lesser known stuff as I am almost sure there are some hidden gems out there!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Threat--

Welcome to the fora!
Quote:
Least favourite anime - anything like Naruto, Dragonball etc... I just can't see the point!

Agreed!
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Hello

I lurk on this site quite often but I decided to try making an account to see what it's like to actively participate here.

Name: Z-Raid
Favorite anime: Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, Princess Tutu
Favorite manga: Soul Eater, Cardcaptor Sakura, Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon
Favorite games: A lot of Zelda games, Borderlands 2, Portal

Facts about self:
- I'm a decent artist and I have won some awards from art contests
- Sailor Moon is my first anime
- I'm allergic to a lot of things
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 199 of 233