• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meet ANN---Manga Style

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Name: Colin
Pets: 2
Ethnicity:White
Marital Status: single
Religion: hard to define
Drink or Smoke: Both
Favorite Food/Drink: Anything Italian, Guiness
Favorite Games: Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy IV, Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy XII, Gears of War, Halo 1/2.
Favorite Bands: Tool, Pink Floyd, Opeth, Megadeth, Weezer.
Favorite Anime: Akira, Haibane Renmei, Anything by Oshii, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Akira, Lain, Texnohlyze, Niea_7, far more, but I'm blanking
Favorite Movies: Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Matrix, American History X, Attack the Gas Station!, Wild Zero, Jail Breakers,
Favorite Manga: Ode to Kirihito, Rurouni Kenshin, Buddha, Phoenix, Apollo's Song, Azumanga Daioh, Akira, Beck, Berserk, Eden, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Astro Boy, many many others.
Favorite Manga Authors: Osamu Tezuka, Katsuhiro Otomo, Nobuhiro Watsuki.
Favorite Type of Manga: Drama, Slice-of-life.
Favorite Books/Comics: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, anything Asimov, Slan, Dune, much more...
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Frank Herbert, J.R.R. Tolkien.
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Amazon
Favorite Place to Read: My desk or bed.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: about... ten years ago now.
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Beet the Vandal Buster... I'm not quite sure what inspired me to even touch it, but it scarred me forever.
Other Hobbies: Guitar and violin. Study of alchemy and metaphyics. Geometry and art. Charcoal, painting, sketching.
Pet Peeves: Shallow people, people who can't stand silence, and just keep talking and talking...
Lelouch Lamperouge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Name:Lelouch
Pets:none
Ethnicity: 100% human
Marital Status:single
Religion:Islam
Drink or Smoke:none ( thanks for the god)
Favorite Food/Drink:PEPSI
Favorite Games:(any Football game)[by playstation]
(basketball & football) [sport]
Favorite Anime:Detective Conan &CODE GEASS
Favorite Movies:none
Favorite Manga:there is no favorite but some of manga I interest in them
Favorite Manga Authors:I haven't paid attention for authors compared to the story.
Favorite Type of Manga:no specific type( good art & good story)
Favorite Books: Holy Qura'an \Comics: I don't like
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Sir Arther Conan
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: I have never did
Favorite Place to Read: any calm place
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books:about..3 years ago
Worst Manga/Book You've Read:none
Other Hobbies:watching documental films,news, graphics designs.
Pet Peeved:who think that they are policemen everywhere they be even though their ethics are so bad.
small-minded and defeatist people.

Last edited by Lelouch Lamperouge on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
And so, this thread is the official introductions thread for the manga forum now.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I noticed, fighterholic. I think this is the only sticky I'll read. I've always wanted to read the Qura'an but I don't know how to read Arabic. Different cultures and religions interests me.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess it's about time I get around to this. Razz

Name: Laura
Pets: Yes, one cat. He is eight years old and I love him dearly.
Ethnicity: Mixed, half Korean, half white
Marital Status: Unmarried but in a relationship
Religion: Non religious/Atheist
Drink or Smoke: Drink socially, no smoking.
Favorite Food/Drink: Korean food, sweets and desserts. Teas! Must be loose leaf, none of that packaged stuff. Also all kinds of juice, water.
Favorite Games: Classic Nintendo/SNES games; old school RPGS, newer RPGS. Final Fantasy series; Chrono Trigger; Paper Mario/Mario RPG series; Persona, Okami, God of War, Katamari games, list goes on. I'm a pretty big gamer.
Favorite Bands: Classic rock, also alternative rock from the 90's: Red Hot Chili Peppers (#1), Nirvana, Sublime, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Also some J-pop and I love classical music. (Especially with the piano)
Favorite Anime: Too many, Mushishi, OHSHC, Monster, FMA, One Piece, just to name a few.
Favorite Movies: Nightmare Before Christmas is my all time fave; Usual Suspects; Pulp Fiction; Reservoir Dogs; Oldboy; My Sassy Girl; Princess Mononoke, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Favorite Manga: Fruits Basket!, FMA, One Piece, Genshiken plus more.
Favorite Manga Authors: I really like Tite Kubo and Hiromu Arakawa because of their humor and sketches and bonus chapters in their manga.
Favorite Type of Manga: Shoujo, Shounen, Romance/Comedy
Favorite Books/Comics: Count of Monte Cristo, anthing Fantasy, Shannara series, Song of Ice and Fire, His Dark Materials, Also any Stephen King book but my all time favorites would be the Dark Tower books (especially Wizard and Glass).
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Stephen King, Terry Brooks.
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Kinokuniya, Borders, Barnes, Rightstuf, also used bookstores.
Favorite Place to Read: My couch, or anywhere there is enough light.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: Manga about 3-4 years ago, but I have been reading books as long as I can remember, so I guess since I was 5 or something. Always have been a big nerd. Embarassed
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Um, nothing really comes to mind, I guess I have to think about it. It's hard for me to hate something, and I don't really actively read manga without researching and knowing I'll like it. But the closest would have to be the Elfen Lied manga.
Other Hobbies: Besides anime, manga, video games and reading....well I love to watch sports and I do visit the ESPN website on a daily basis, along with ANN! Razz
Pet Peeves: People putting the toilet paper roll on backwards.

Well, I'd like to post another picture, but I want to make it different from the ones already posted in the Meet ANN Thread in the anime section. I hope other people will start posting their pictures too! Mine will come soon, I hope.
Lelouch Lamperouge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I noticed, fighterholic. I think this is the only sticky I'll read. I've always wanted to read the Qura'an but I don't know how to read Arabic. Different cultures and religions interests me.

Hi,if you are really interested in it, you can read the meanings of the whole Qura'an in English or any language.

There is the meanings of whole Qura'an by this software(1st one)
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/downloads/index.asp

In Canada, you will find the translation of Qura'an( as a book)in any Islamic Center
here some addresses will help you
http://www.islamicfinder.org/worldIslamicCountry.php?more=more&startPoint=0&endPoint=50&country=canada&lang=english

Also, I have watched it broadcasted by Islam channel from UK (every night[GTM]) (Arabic sound with English translation text)
http://www.islamchannel.tv/index.aspx
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Hi,if you are really interested in it, you can read the meanings of the whole Qura'an in English or any language.

There is the meanings of whole Qura'an by this nice software(1st one)
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/downloads/index.asp

About the books in Canada, you will find the translation of Qura'an( as a book)in any Islamic Center
here some addresses will help you
http://www.islamicfinder.org/worldIslamicCountry.php?more=more&startPoint=0&endPoint=50&country=canada&lang=english

Also, I have watched it broadcasted by Islam channel from UK (every night[GTM]) (Arabic sound with English translation text)
http://www.islamchannel.tv/index.aspx

That's awesome thanks. I like learning what other religions believe from a literary perspective instead of having the media paint a negative picture on a group of people from a particular religion due to ignorance.
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Name: Shannon
Pets: 4 cats
Ethnicity: Irish
Marital Status: Practically Married, but we have no money hahahaha
Religion: Catholic

Drink or Smoke: Drink occasionally, I keep trying to quit smoking.

Favorite Food/Drink: Sushi, Potatoes, Corned Beef, Grilled Cheese, Clam Choweder (new england), chicken, most veggies. Drink --> Milk (non alcoholic),
Rum (alcoholic)

Favorite Games: Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Mille Bornes, Rumi. Computer...Sonic (original), Mario (Original 3), Mortal Kombat (original), Zelda (original)....I just got a Wii like a month ago, and I like that. But I don't have too many games for it yet.

Favorite Bands: Soul Coughing, Less than Jake, Guns and Roses, Beastie Boys, G Love and Special Sauce, Kenny Rogers, The Bee Gees, Reel Big Fish, Bjork, Poison, Motley Crue, and the list goes on.....

Favorite Anime: Sailor Moon, Princess Nine, Cowboy Bebop, Pretear, Escaflowne, Myizaki (I know that is spelled wrong) movies. Voltron, Gatchaman

Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones tril., Karate Kid, Half Baked, Dazed and Confused, the Patriot, Freddy vs Jason, Star Wars tril., The Princess Bride, The Wedding Singer, Instantly the new transformers movie and the list goes on...

Favorite Manga: Sailor Moon, Kamakaze Kaito Jeanne, Full Moon, Peach Girl, Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Othello, Ultra Maniac, and Imadoki. Not finished, but will probably become favorties are: Gentlemans Alliance Cross, Hana Kimi, Gunslinger Girl, Perfect Girl Evolution, Magical X Miracle, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Ouran High School Host Club
***Favorite manhwa is Honey Mustard. Unfinshed but will become favorites that are manhwa are Faeries Landing, President Dad, and Neck and Neck.**

Favorite Manga Authors: Arina Tanemura, Naoko Takeuchi (for Sailor Moon alone)
Favorite Type of Manga: Shojo
Favorite Books/Comics: Classic Literature & Spider Man comics
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Salinger, William Kennedy, And more recently, William Shatner
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Store: Borders. Online: dreamlandcomics.com
Favorite Place to Read: Where ever is quiet enough to read.

When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: I got into reading Manga late. I have been watching anime since I was a kid, but didn't get into manga until I was in my 20's. Now I actually prefer manga to anime

Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Worst Manga....Forbidden Dance....but that's because I am not into dance. Worst Book.....a coworker tried to get me to read part of Paris Hilton's book....it was awful, I got through about 10 pages.

Other Hobbies: I collect 80's toys, and I play softball. I also like to paint ceramics with my niece

Pet Peeves: Having to be around people who have no common sense. That and people who run up a lane when they see a line of cars who have already merged, but they feel that they don't have to wait in the line. ugh that gets me.

Last edited by Torhu_San on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Name: Jason Green
Pets: Nope. I'm allergic to all of God's creatures. Razz
Ethnicity: White (mostly Irish and English)
Marital Status: Single
Religion: Lapsed Catholic/"Agnostic"
Drink or Smoke: Drink socially, no smoking.
Favorite Food/Drink: New York-style pizza, Coke.
Favorite Games: I grew up on the NES and SNES, so that's where most of them would be from. Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past, Mega Man 2, Super Smash Bros., River City Ransom, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3, Super Mario Kart, Guitar Hero 1 & 2....I can't wait for "Rock Band".
Favorite Bands: The top 10, in no order whatsoever: Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould solo, Pearl Jam, Sloan, R.E.M., The Cure, Nirvana, Green Day, The Replacements, Matthew Sweet, Wilco. I'm a much bigger junkie for music than any of my other obsessions, and own well over 1000 CDs.
Favorite Anime: This varies wildly depending on mood, but just for what I've watched the most, probably Akira, Fist of the North Star (movie), Ranma 1/2, EVA, Goldenboy, Fullmetal Alchemist, the original Tenchi-Muyo! OAV series, Oh My Goddess!....I could go on for hours.
Favorite Movies: High Fidelity, Swingers, Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Mallrats, Orgazmo, Star Wars and Empire, and, if I'm feeling dumb and nostalgic, Can't Hardly Wait and the first 3 American Pie movies.
Favorite Manga: Hands down, Maison Ikkoku. Also love: Ranma 1/2, Oh My Goddess!, Gunsmith Cats, Dominion, Domu, Love Hina, Mai the Psychic Girl, The Mermaid Saga, One Pound Gospel, Sanctuary, Sugar Sugar Rune, Suzuka, 3x3 Eyes, Urusei Yatsura,
Favorite Manga Authors: I will buy absolutely anything by Rumiko Takahashi, Katsuhiro Otomo, Masamune Shirow, Kenichi Sonoda, Kousuke Fujishima, and Ryoichi Ikegami.
Favorite Type of Manga: Romantic comedies (especially with male leads, especially when they AREN'T harem comedies/Love Hina rehashes), hard boiled gangster-type stuff.
Favorite Books/Comics: Wow, I'll have to come back to this one....
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Erik Larsen, Robert Kirkman, Warren Ellis, Nick Hornby, Alan Moore, David Sedaris.
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: I buy all my comics and about half of my manga from my local comic shop, Star Clipper. The remainder of my manga and all of my anime comes from Right Stuf.
Favorite Place to Read: I usually read on my couch, or in the chair in front of my computer.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: I started reading comics when I was 5 (1984), starting with Spidey Super Stories in Electric Co. magazine and then moving on to the real Spider-Man comics, then the Transformers comics that Marvel was putting out. I started reading manga in 1994, after my friend showed me the first 4 episodes of Ranma 1/2 and then showed me that he had the first 2 volumes of the manga as well.
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: I can usually tell what manga I'm not going to like and avoid it, but for a couple recent ones that severely underwhelmed me, Free Collars Kingdom and Shugo-Chara.
Other Hobbies: I listen to music as much as humanly possible, and love going to concerts all the time (from no-name local acts to huge arena rock shows). I also host a radio show on my alma mater's radio station (though I haven't done one in a couple months). I play softball during the summer, and usually follow the St. Louis Cardinals and the Rams pretty closely.
Pet Peeves: Text messages (the things cost me 10 cents to read, people!), people who use netspeak out of shear laziness ("u" and "ur", or even worse, use "your" and "you're" completely incorrectly regularly), music snobs, artists who rip on their fans or (even worse) their critics, people whose first impulse in any internet argument is to tell the person they're disagreeing with that they "need to get laid"....I could keep going but I won't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mathious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
mathious wrote:
Name: Christopher Thoennes I go by Chris but lets just call me mathious on the network
location: Hartsel Colorado (but I normally hang out at Colorado Springs)
marital status: single
religion: Lutheran or Catholic (my dads Catholic and my moms Lutheran) I haven't been very religous in the past year infact I think the last time I went to church was during Christmas
drink/smoke: no to smoking and for drinking yes, no, maybe I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.
likes: driving, anime, manga, food, sleeping, video game, playing with my dog, ignoring my mom just to get her irritated, working, hanging out with friends, and of course ANN
dislikes: being grounded, people that are completely clueless (meaning they don't get even the simplist of jokes sr if they always answer to you huh?), chores, and PERVERTS.and I do admit I was one once upon a time but no longer am because in the end my parents l paid fines of over $200.00 (those websites I would like to forget but probably will never in my life time).
favorite anime: full metal alchemist, Naruto, Bleach, Ranma 1/2, Spiral, Ai Yori Aoshi, Fruits Basket, and many more
favorite manga: Bleach
favorite games: kindom hearts and the Final Fantasies
favorite drink: chocolate malt
favotite foods: pizza, ramen noodles, salads, chicken, lasagna, steak, spagetti, and mexican food
favorite sports: soccer, rugby, football, and discus (which isn't exactly a sport)
favorite music: I'm going to do my favorite bands Nickelback, Daughtry, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down, Def Leppard, etc.
fun facts about Chris: I got the master bedroom of our house, I'm almost 6 feet tall, actually 2 inches shorter. I weigh about 132 lbs. I'm the youngest of the family. I now have a collection of over 200+anime. I live with my mom because my parents are divorced. I got a pretty good job when I was 13, because I got $10.00 for every cord of wood I split and I normally do a cord every hour and 15 minutes, or you could figure I get $40.00 every 5 hours I work. I have one pet named Katie she is a dog. I'm going into the ninth grade after summer break.

heres a few extras about me
pets I have one dog named Katie and she's an English Shepard
More Games God of War 1&2, Asheron's Call, WoW (world of warcraft), midnight club 3 dub edition, Sudeki, Morrowind, Balder's Gate Dark Alliance, Fable, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Leisure Suite Larry (just kidding although my brother once showed me it), Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, and many many more.
ethnicity I am white yet I probably have nearly as many possible types in me that I could think of. a few are native american, german, irish, polish, chinese, mexican, and a lot more. I only have small amounts of those in me but I have a huge variety.
Stores I buy Manga from on land- Barnes and Noble internet- rightstuf, roberts anime corner store, and there are others but I can't think of them right now.
another fun fact I'm an uncle of 4 right now but by the time it's november I'll have 7.
fun facts about my love life I've never kissed a girl (on the lips) even the one I went out with for 5 months.
One time after only one date Cameron and I said I love you to eachother (she was one girl that I thought would have been THE ONE except I ended up moving away)
My brother got me my first girlfriend and he made me lose my first girlfriend. You see what happened was I was extremely shy back then and there was this girl I had a crush on. If I remember right her name was Shelby and we met in Holmen WI. Anyways my brother saw that I liked her so he went to talk to the girls older sister and convinced her to have us meet. So Shelby and I ended up talking and got to know each other over the following weeks, but apparently my brother was getting to know Shelby's older sister. So I ended up going out with Shelby and Josh (he's my older brother) ended going out with Shelby's older sister. I was fine with that but I was the one who ended up having the phone number to Shelby's house so Josh had to borrow it from me when we wanted to call his girlfriend. One day he asked to borrow the phone number and I said ok so he used it and when I asked for it back he said that he gave it to me but he didn't, he lost it. So whenever I ended up going to the pool Shelby was never there when I was because we couldn't arrange to meet each other. Then when I finally saw her again mom told me that We're moving and I was like WHAT. I never saw Shelby again after that day. oh and so everybody knows I was only 9 back then. I blame my brother for the loss of my first girlfriend. One more thing the girl I dated for 5 months wasn't Shelby, Shelby and I dated for I think 3-4 months. I still make my brother fell bad about that even though it's been 5 years now. For some reason whenever I get into a serious relationship I end up moving away. I don't know why but I'm starting to think my mom has a grudge against me.

Last edited by mathious on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Favorite Games: I grew up on the NES and SNES, so that's where most of them would be from. Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past, Mega Man 2, Super Smash Bros., River City Ransom, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3, Super Mario Kart, Guitar Hero 1 & 2....I can't wait for "Rock Band".

Other Hobbies: I listen to music as much as humanly possible, and love going to concerts all the time (from no-name local acts to huge arena rock shows). I also host a radio show on my alma mater's radio station (though I haven't done one in a couple months). I play softball during the summer, and usually follow the St. Louis Cardinals and the Rams pretty closely.

Those games rock! For Mario kart, the best level is that rainbow, although I used to always fall off the edge. (The first island one is another fave) I was going to go into radio broadcasting but I picked television instead
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Those games rock! For Mario kart, the best level is that rainbow, although I used to always fall off the edge. (The first island one is another fave)

Oh, no way. The "ghost" levels with the wooden planks are my personal faves. Especially the first one with the short cut. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, why not.

Name: Jonny
Pets: none
Ethnicity: black (african-american, whatever)
Marital Status: single
Religion: Christian
Drink or Smoke: no
Favorite Food/Drink: Pizza, crabs (blue, snow, dungeness), Chinese food, root beer
Favorite Games: Final Fantasy (7-12, minus 11), Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2), Halo 2
Favorite Bands: Eminem, Wu-Tang Clan, Busta Rhymes, Lupe Fiasco (okay, so they're not "bands"), System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, Modest Mouse, some j-pop and j-rock (especially the pillows)
Favorite Anime: Bleach, Naruto, YuYu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, Gunslinger Girl, Basilisk
Favorite Manga: Bleach, Death Note
Favorite Type of Manga: Shonen (at the moment)
Favorite Books/Comics: Boogipop series
Favorite Place to Read: my room
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: two years ago
Other Hobbies: school, attempting to draw comics, sleep
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:
Those games rock! For Mario kart, the best level is that rainbow, although I used to always fall off the edge. (The first island one is another fave)

Oh, no way. The "ghost" levels with the wooden planks are my personal faves. Especially the first one with the short cut. Smile

That one is awesome too, but not as cool as the rainbow one. I think you need a feather to spring towards the other side. Wasn't Koopa the fastest character in that game?
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Wasn't Koopa the fastest character in that game?

Nope! It depends on your definition of "fast" is....Bowser and Donkey Kong had the highest top speeds but the slowest acceleration, the Princess and Yoshi had the highest acceleration but the lowest top speeds. Koopa and Toad were basically the middle of the road on everything, but had the best cornering, but Mario and Luigi sacrificed a bit of cornering for slightly better speed stats.

Me, play Mario Kart too much? Why, what gives you that idea?! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18