• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Shonen Jump title

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:49 am Reply with quote
Well I would expect them to use the literal translation, "Boys Jump", but as long as they keep the "Jump" part, I'll be happy. If they don't, what matters is the content inside the magazine is kept intact.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Well I would expect them to use the literal translation, "Boys Jump", but as long as they keep the "Jump" part, I'll be happy. If they don't, what matters is the content inside the magazine is kept intact.

I doubt they'd use "Boy's Jump"... it sounds kinda silly.. but I see no reason to ditch "Jump" - it's a good name, and the name is common enough within the anime circles (at least) that people would be able to associate it with the Japanese 'zine of the same name. OTOH, just "Jump" makes it sound like a Basketball magazine. :)

What interests me is how they plan to market it in America:

"...will be patterned after Shueisha's Shonen Jump..."

"Viz plans to achieve circulation levels of over 1 million within the first three years of operation and, like the Japanese edition, is targeting advertising support as well. The partnership will engage the Cartoon Network, Suncoast, the store for movie lovers, and Diamond Comic Distributors as promotional partners to support the publishing venture."

Based on these two statements (from the PR) and ICv2's published top 300 comic sales ([url="http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/1461.html"]here[/url]) where Viz is well behind DC, Marvel and Image (whose comics take up almost the entire top-100)

... i'm not sure how successful it would be. It's a risky venture, IMO, and I have serious reservations about the circulation of 1 million in 3 years.

Plus, the PR gives no information about _how_ the comic would be bound, or how they plan to make a profit off of it.

Shonen Jump is a very low-quality, disposable collection of comics -- in fact, it's really only meant to be used during the week it's made. After which, most people simply throw them out. Additionally, it's very *very* cheap, which I can assume only comes from massive subsidization by the actual comics themselves (which are much more expensive, although higher quality)

My older phonebook mangas are showing wear and tear, and some of them I've only read once or twice.

Phonebook manga simply isn't meant to be stored for extended periods of time, no matter how well-kept...

.. and, unless I'm wrong, America doesn't have an overly large "throwaway comics" industry. Most people buy comics to _keep_. I'm not sure how successful a magazine that is BASED on discarding the comics would be.

Additionally, the manga in the magazine would need to be available separately, because that's how the magazine "works" -- you buy the phonebook, see a title or two you enjoy, and then each month buy a tankouban.

They might be able to get away with older titles (like DBZ and Inu Yasha) for a while, simply because there will be *so* many new people who will be introduced to manga for the first time... but i doubt they could survive with an entire magazine filled with titles previously released in the states.

Based on their PR, I expect the magazine to exist for at least 3 years... in which time, we will probably see a mix of new and old titles... probably with a number of manga that created the anime on CN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:50 pm Reply with quote
"I'm not sure how successful a magazine that is BASED on discarding the comics would be."

I just hope Viz will actually make the magazines out of recycled paper like the Japanese do. That and my friends wonder how they'll be able to keep up with any new manga series when they only publish 2 books per series per year.
Armblessed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping they dont edit it. Viz is very fond of editing the manga they translate. Given, they usually do a pretty clean job of it, but I hate it. I usually end up feeling cheated if I find out after I have read some manga that it was edited, and knowing if it's edited often makes the difference on whether I buy translated manga or not.
Unless they come up with some really interesting content, whether Viz's "Shonen Jump" is edited or not will be probably be the deciding factor on my purchasing it regularly.
Another thing that worries me is that I hope they sacrifice quality of paper and what-not for price. Viz's regular manga collections are printed on nice paper, but they are really expensive. Puts a big drain on my limited funds and keeps me from buying more or trying new titles.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Armblessed wrote:

I'm hoping they dont edit it. Viz is very fond of editing the manga they translate. Given, they usually do a pretty clean job of it, but I hate it.

Given the age group they will be marketting this anthology to I would expect that they may need to do some editing in some case (Japanese have no issue including explicit, non-sexual nudity in children's entertainment, ie: the 3rd page of the original Dragonball). Everything will also probably be floped.

Hopefully they will keep in mind past lessons and release the Graphic Novels unedited and unflopped.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that they well publish Kenshin in English finally. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm going to say something that's probably going to make me VERY unpopular here, but...

I prefer my manga flipped.

Being an English reader, that I read English every day and have done so since I was a child, my mind is automatically defaulted to reading from left to right, and having to reverse this train of thought for any duration of time is, I find, irritating. Picking up Tokyopop's recent Cowboy BeBop graphic novel, I was constantly lost in the pages. I realize not everyone is like myself, and congrats to you guys who can fight against the urges of my native language.

I can sympathize with the companies that unflip things, though; the manga market is still quite small, and the audience that reads the stuff is more skewed towards those who prefer things unflopped, unedited, and untouched by the filthy, filthy hands of us dirty Americans.

Everything in my life, though, reads from left to right. Hooray Viz!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vicious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:12 am Reply with quote
I never really had problems reading manga one way or the other, it'd take me maybe ten seconds to adjust and then it'd be natural. There was one problem though, sometimes after reading to much manga I'd pick up the newspapers comics and read the punchlines first :)
ashram12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:08 am Reply with quote
>>Being an English reader, that I read English every day and have done so since I was a child, my mind is automatically defaulted to reading from left to right, and having to reverse this train of thought for any duration of time is, I find, irritating. Picking up Tokyopop's recent Cowboy BeBop graphic novel, I was constantly lost in the pages. I realize not everyone is like myself, and congrats to you guys who can fight against the urges of my native language.
<<

The only quip I have against flipped manga is that it usually is more expensive than the unflipped manga. With that said, reading things from right to left honestly isn't that hard, you just need a little bit of practice, that is, if you care enough to practice. And also, I find it fun to read stuff backwards once in a while.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I plan on buying Shonen Jump but if it's edited or flipped i really don't wanna subscribe to it cause i'll kinda feel ripped off. Have they announced any other titles that'll be in it besides Dragon Ball and YuGiOh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Cgoten wrote:

Have they announced any other titles that'll be in it besides Dragon Ball and YuGiOh?

Nope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1