• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chase Wang on Anime Expo 2007

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
anybody remembers when Tsukasa hojo, nobuhiro watsuki, Inoue Kikuko and Yuu watase were all UNDER THE SAME ROOF? and for a minimal $25.00 ticket or free you could approach the stage and shake hands with them?

Where is THAT anime expo eh?
The policy with the guests all depends on what their managerial staff and they want. This is not something the con decides. You should know this as a volunteer. Whether AX knew some of these things (SOS canceling, the limit of 50, etc) in advance is the real issue itself.

Nermal wrote:
There were so many people crossing the street illegally; I'm glad no one got hit (that I know of).
As a NYCite, let me be the first to say that there is nothing wrong with responsible jaywalking. Wink
DropDeadRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
Mr. Wang is the assigned apologist/spin doctor for AX and as such his responses the expected non-answer answers.

But this made me practically choke on my tea:

Understandably, 3.5 hours - even 30 minutes, in my mind – is way too long to wait. Once again, learning this during 2007 will help us prepare for 2008.

"...prepare for 2008." my...

foot. Confused

It took staff almost three hours on Friday morning to figure out that perhaps it might be a good idea to put the pre-registered and unregistered attendees in separate lines. If AX hasn't learned how to do registration correctly after 14 previous ones, the debacle that was the 2007 con will likely make little to no impression on them.

The fact that many of the staff were volunteers and/or new to AX is just an excuse - and pretty sad one at that. The buck stops with the people in charge who were responsible for making sure that all staff members were fully informed and properly trained. They failed.

There are many cons that have higher attendance and an equally large percentage of volunteers, yet are still able to run registration and main events without anything even approaching the nightmare that was AX. I for one will save my hard-earned cash for them.
pandax06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Just blame the Shriners for making ACC take in their convention that was attended by far less people.

What Wang fails to take into account is that most of the attendees are from local areas. LA is a horrible place to have it because to get there, traffic is going to be very heavy. I personally am a local commuter to AX and Long Beach traffic was just absurd, but imagining getting to LA? The 405 is basically the world's largest parking lot. To avoid traffic, I had to leave home at 5:00am just to get to AX with out having to endure much traffic.

I'll admit, after leaving a Lakers game one night, me and my buddies were able to walk around the convention center, but that doesn't mean we weren't scared straight. He might know it's safe, but for an outsider who's not from the Los Angeles area, it's just a nightmare going there even durring the day. I've had the opprotunity to go to LA using the Metro and I seriously had to be on high alert.

Long story short, even though people might not know how LA might be (if it reall is safe as Wang puts it), it's still going to have its reputation. Bigger venue might be a plus, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of attendees at 08AX were to decrease compared to the past years. I'm with all the fans when they scream ANAHEIM

ax ftl
xstylus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
I'm a staffer, but not a manager, so my word isn't exactly qualifiable as official (thus I must give the disclaimer: my opinion is my own, not Expo's). I don't sit in on any meetings, so I'm just an armchair quarterback too.

In my view, Chase said everything there was to say, and said it very well. The best of preparations were made, yet as he said, things happened that couldn't have been predicted. What more did he need to say?

I'm sure you would have preferred more detail, but it's irrelevant because the bottom line is that the ultimate responsibility falls to Expo. It falls on them again to do better for next year, which means being better prepared for the unpredictable. As Chase said, it's a learning experience. I'm still proud of this convention, and remain proud to help.

How about you? I know quite a few people who joined because they felt Expo could be better, and it indeed has become better with them, but I also know they sing a different tune now than before they were on staff. I can't tell you how much it hurts to hear someone say that staffers such as myself didn't try hard enough for this event. I can only imagine how the managers feel.

Last edited by xstylus on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Individual11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
"It's a fan-driven convention." If Anime Expo is still truly a fan-driven convention, then why not ask the fans what we want. It's clear the fans don't want AX to be in L.A. and for very good reason. Long Beach had it's problems as a location but for it to be decided to move AX to Los Angeles could be asking for trouble. As of this post, it's clear the majority of fans much prefer venue over schedule thanks to ANN's new poll. So it would be nice if AX would let the fans have some say in when and where the convention is.

As for AX moving on to a more professional level of operation, I don't think they have a choice. Something has to be done about how the convention is run and I think having a few full-time staffers in charge of thorough planning for the convention could certainly improve the outcome of how smoothly the con goes. I'm sure there are fans and volunteers out there who already have the professional skills needed who would love a job like that and would be willing to put all their effort and passion into making AX a convention other cons would look to.

Regardless of whether or not a staff is ever hired, the coordination of every event should be thoroughly planned out and backup plans ready. That is simply how a convention should be run. If we're not going to get real professionals then we absolutely need to see a much more professional level of volunteers.

I'd also like to say that if AX is thinking about changing location, let us know and ask us what we think about it before commiting to it. I would really like to see AX be more of a "fan-driven convention." However, right now it seems that more and more decisions are being made without ever asking what the fans want.

I will of course attend Anime Expo 2008 and hope for the best. I'm sure the AX staff will learn from mistakes this year and I wish them luck as they plan for next year.
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
I think people are being far too harsh towards the AX staff. I've been attending AX as press for six years now and each year there have been things that have been disorganized and things that have started late. But people act like this is exclusive to AX, which it definitely isn't. After attending Jrock Revolution at the end of May on press passes and dealing with their complete incompetence, AX was a huge improvement. E3 ended yesterday and I can tell you that was a complete and utter nightmare compared to AX. I've gone to well over 50 concerts in my life and I can't think of a single one that started on time.

I know there were problems with this year's AX, but honestly they weren't as big as people were making them out to be. S.K.I.N. started really late, but from what I understand it was largely due to the band wanting more time to rehearse. Also, the interviewer incorrectly states that they played only three songs and played one of them twice. They did play four different songs (if they paid attention to the video screens they would've known that), and the song that they supposedly "played twice" was simply split up by the band introductions and solos mid-song.

As for venue preference, I didn't see a big problem there either. If you considered the walk from one end of the convention center to the other to be too much, you're lazy and/or out of shape. I walked back and forth numerous times and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

As for food, a huge amount of restaurants with a variety of price ranges was directly across the street from the main convention center. Those of you complaining about lack of food in the area, have you been to AX in Anaheim before? There's a pizza place and a crappy Chinese food place that are further away than the restaurants were in Long Beach. There is an IHOP close by that charges $10 for a plate of pancakes, and there are one or two fast food places about a quarter of a mile away. Everything in the area is absurdly expensive with the exception of the pizza place I mentioned earlier. The food choice and pricing in Long Beach was infinitely better than those in Anaheim.

As far as LACC goes, I've been there for the past several years for E3 and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The only real issue is food, which is admittedly scarce in the area. There are several reasonable hotels within a mile of the convention center, and there is parking available. My staff and I have always stayed at a place that's about a mile away from the convention center and walked there and back each day. We've never had any sort of issues with criminal activity or anything "scary" that people seem to be expecting. It's not a pretty area and there are a lot of bums, but it certainly isn't a place I feel uncomfortable walking through.

The convention center itself is very nice, very big, and has a ton of options as far as the layout goes. There are a ton of conference rooms that can be used for panels and the staff is generally pretty courteous. There are two big restaurants in the convention center (expensive burgers and such), and a Starbucks and a ton of vending machines. There is a huge indoor lobby in front of both main halls, and there is a huge open area in the walkway between the two main halls that would be perfect for Artist Alley. At E3 last year there were about 35,000-40,000 people and there was more than enough room without even having any nearby hotels being used for any events. Honestly, the LACC would be far better than the ACC or the LBCC for AX.
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How would you, personally, characterize this year's AX?

I think overall it was a very good year. It was definitely a learning experience for the industry, for the staff, and for myself. It's definitely a learning process, one I think will continue every year.

Very Good Year!? WTF, if this was a good year, what the hell is a bad year?
“Learning process every year” it’s true, but he seems to be a slow learner and is this going to be the excuse for next year too?

Quote:
Well, it's been in Long Beach before.

True, but you have to understand that the staff then was different from the staff now; for the people on board now, Long Beach was a new experience. We have some retention in the staff, but the majority of the people here now weren't here years ago when the show was in Long Beach.

Seems like the staff was much better then

ichido reichan wrote:
Quote:
Learning process? everybody at the anime expo was giving excuses like that, it is a new convention now?

Definitely agree, just because senior staff change shouldn’t cause the con to regress back to a learning phase

Quote:
“but when they were doing the Haruhi dance on stage, the show was well-received. People were cheering and screaming. From my experience in the audience, I mean, it seemed like a positive thing.”

“It was an exclusive world premiere, and from my understanding of it, the majority of the concertgoers felt it was worth the wait. These may have been extreme fans, but I think seeing these J-Rock gods smash their instruments on stage may have excited the crowd even more.”

It seems like he’s picking certain positive aspects from the few con goers who had a good time to justify all the mistakes. I really hope he doesn’t have the mentality that the events were a huge success because we made these few fans happy, rather than accepting it being the disaster that it was.
Of course people were cheering and screaming, majority of fans worship the GOHs so we cheer extra hard in hopes that the they still have a positive view on events after all the mishaps they faced.

Great Interview ANN
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
testor: You'd have to pay for transportation there anyway. Hell, you'd have to take a taxi, or be gouged at the pump, if you flew into Anaheim. Anyway, it's still cheaper than the con food.

Hayate:
Quote:
As for food, a huge amount of restaurants with a variety of price ranges was directly across the street from the main convention center. Those of you complaining about lack of food in the area, have you been to AX in Anaheim before? There's a pizza place and a crappy Chinese food place that are further away than the restaurants were in Long Beach. There is an IHOP close by that charges $10 for a plate of pancakes, and there are one or two fast food places about a quarter of a mile away. Everything in the area is absurdly expensive with the exception of the pizza place I mentioned earlier. The food choice and pricing in Long Beach was infinitely better than those in Anaheim.

What?! But everything those Anaheim-lovers say must be true! Rolling Eyes
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
xstylus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 am Post subject:
I'm a staffer, but not a manager, so my word isn't exactly qualifiable as official (thus I must give the disclaimer: my opinion is my own, not Expo's). I don't sit in on any meetings, so I'm just an armchair quarterback too.

In my view, Chase said everything there was to say, and said it very well. The best of preparations were made, yet as he said, things happened that couldn't have been predicted. What more did he need to say?

I'm sure you would have preferred more detail, but it's irrelevant because the bottom line is that the ultimate responsibility falls to Expo. It falls on them again to do better for next year, which means being better prepared for the unpredictable. As Chase said, it's a learning experience. I'm still proud of this convention, and remain proud to help.

How about you? I know quite a few people who joined because they felt Expo could be better, and it indeed has become better with them, but I also know they sing a different tune now than before they were on staff. I can't tell you how much it hurts to hear someone say that staffers such as myself didn't try hard enough for this event. I can only imagine how the managers feel.

I personally don’t think any of the lower rank staffers were at fault. I’m sure you guys were just given certain tasks to perform and you guys do your best to fulfill them. I think the problem lies with whoever manages the staff. The big problems were with miscommunication; the head staff/manager(s) should have done a much better job at relaying information. Personally, the staffers I dealt with were relatively polite although they did give me different answers to the same questions. But again, I don’t hold that against them, they answered to the best of their knowledge. I think the cheat sheet idea (faq list sounds better) for next year will be helpful.
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: You'd have to pay for transportation there anyway. Hell, you'd have to take a taxi, or be gouged at the pump, if you flew into Anaheim. Anyway, it's still cheaper than the con food.

Hayate:
Quote:

What?! But everything those Anaheim-lovers say must be true! Rolling Eyes

Of course they're right. I'm making it up. There definitely wasn't a Great Steak and Potato Company, a Mexican restaurant, a pizza place, a Cold Stone, an Islands, and a few other places directly across the street. There also definitely wasn't a Chili's, Outback, PF Chang's, a Japanese restaurant, and a seafood restaurant less than 1/4 of a mile away. And there weren't like six restaurants on the pier behind the convention center. But yeah, they're right. Definitely not enough food choices close by at LBCC.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

This isn't about arriving in the city or leaving it, each of which people only have to do once. You just suggested that people pay at least $2.50 for the subway EVERY time they go to Burger King or McDonald's, on TOP of what the actual food costs...just to get "reasonably priced food."
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
LOL, I love marketing guys. They crack me up with their babble.
Quote:
In regards to the staff, most shows of your size are handled by professionals for whom running a convention, maintaining a convention and staffing a convention is their full-time job. Anime Expo still operates with a volunteer staff, and even a board of directors where the show isn't their full-time job. Do you feel AX has outgrown that method and that it's about time to move on to a more professional level of operation? Is bringing in a full-time professional staff something that AX is looking at?

From my perspective, I don't think that's a wise way to move forward.

Why not?

It's a fan-driven convention. Fans know what they want to see, they know what kind of programming they want. For instance, this year we had the first Otaku Parliamentary Debate. To me, that's brilliant; I'd never have come up with that. And it's because we have real fans on the staff. An outsider coming in just to run a show would forget what the fans want, and AX would become a cookie-cutter show, not as tailored to fan taste as it is now.

hahahahaha, fan driven.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Tokyopop didn't have a booth, but they had multiple panels and portfolio reviews and whatnot. They've been diminishing booth presence at most of the shows I've seen them at over the years so it didn't seem relevant.

???
Ok, I just attend Comic-con every year for the last 5 or 6 yrs, but TP is always one of the HUGE signposts on the salesfloor & it looks like once more they have a space large enough to take up a dozen regular booths so once more I expect their TokyoPop banner to be up there for ref ("Where are you"""By TokyoPop""WAIT THERE!" more than once every con. Funi & Viz also work) And they have several panels (incliuding the Star Trek manga one I believe I'll skip. Viz is promising to announce that "big title" for Shonen Jump on their Friday panel)

Quote:
The con's grown exponentially, and we understand that. One of the things we learned in 2007 was that we need to train our volunteer staff more. Maybe give them cheat sheets so they know where everything is at all times. We need to give them more tools and more training, and that's one of the things we'll be working on in 2008.

How incredibly rude to all their volunteer staff without which they obviusly wouldn't exist. They/ve been around for over a dozen years-they should know how to do this by now,

Quote:
Maybe we need to alter our programming, so things end at a certain time at the LACC, and everything else happens at the hotels after hours, and maybe we'll have shuttles for fans to get to those hotels. And I'm not talking about little tiny shuttles, I'm talking big buses, to take care of people with large costumes. We want to make this experience as positive as possible for the attendees.

Like the 3 or 4 shuttles that have run for years to all the parking lots in the area of Comic-con so people who don't manage to land a coveted spot in the underground parking can ride in comfort to & from con? As late as mignight, I believe?

Quote:
So why not just change the weekend and book up the next half-decade?

Well, the difficulty of that is that historically, AX has always been the 4th of July weekend. Everyone usually has an extra day off, and it's a 4-day show, so that helps too.

If they're so set on 4th of July, why didn't they book it 4 yrs in advance at Anaheim? Why are they finding themselves in the position to move to keep that weekend. I know Comic-con is all oer July from a week after AX to one year bumping into August 1 & it's never stopped thousands from attending. I will buy next year's membership at this year's con & request the time off from my job (We have to put in for our annual vacations by something like February 1).

Quote:
San Diego Comic-Con is four and a half days and has never relied on a holiday weekend to bring in droves of people.

Well, that's comparing apples and oranges, I think.

But it's not. I've suggested for some time this is a major problem with AX--that they see themselves as a "fan group", yet pride themselves in being the biggest Anime con in the US. They can't have it both ways. They need to get more professional or they need to reduce their size to fit their planning needs. It really sounds like they can't handle a crowd of more than 30,000.

And face it. A fan gathering is 10,000, maybe 20,000. Bigger than that, they really need to change the way they are looking at this. I really think that't their biggest issue-the need to accept they aren't a little gathering of anime fans & accept they are a major event & major events require planning. It's th3 whole small-town approach--San Diego for years fought the fact we're one of the biggest cities inthe US & kept thinking sleepy navy town & we're now dealing with things many cities much smaller than we are have planned for like a decent public transportation system(ours reeks). In the '70's, these issues would have much easier to plan for than playing fix-gap now. AX needs to deal with these issues now so they can have better cons in the future unless they want someone else (like New York or Otakon) to steal their thunder & become the big anime con every year because at some point people are going to get tired of all this.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

And face it. A fan gathering is 10,000, maybe 20,000. Bigger than that, they really need to change the way they are looking at this. I really think that't their biggest issue-the need to accept they aren't a little gathering of anime fans & accept they are a major event & major events require planning. It's th3 whole small-town approach--San Diego for years fought the fact we're one of the biggest cities inthe US & kept thinking sleepy navy town & we're now dealing with things many cities much smaller than we are have planned for like a decent public transportation system(ours reeks). In the '70's, these issues would have much easier to plan for than playing fix-gap now. AX needs to deal with these issues now so they can have better cons in the future unless they want someone else (like New York or Otakon) to steal their thunder & become the big anime con every year because at some point people are going to get tired of all this.

Excellent point and great analogy using San Diego as well. SD probably hasn't been a sleepy little Navy town since WWII.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
What I'd like to know is: what's a "cookie-cutter" convention?

Is there any large-scale convention around that qualifies as "cookie-cutter"? Has anyone gone to one? Did it suck? Was it made of awesome?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13