• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:
Not the rest of the world doesn't stereotype or anything, not at all. Rolling Eyes

Nothing I said implies ignorance of that. People everywhere can be tools. Right lelliel? Rolling Eyes back at you. Try reading a post and absorbing the information contained within it before arbitrarily trying to snark at people genius.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
teferi wrote:
Also, the people that discount almost an entire season as not being worth it. This always happens, and a month later they're raving about 6+ series.

Yeah.. every season is the 'worst season ever', then a month or two later it's 'the best season ever'. Pretty much clockwork.

It's like people don't want to enjoy all these anime or something. Meanwhile, I have a hard time finding shows in a season I don't like.

Sounds similar to how when Facebook makes change a lot of people do not like them, then after some time like them.

I do agree that this happens every season and when anime fans start saying this I tune them right out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:
Meh. Doesn't look like there's much targeted at adults.

Almost all of the new series are targeted at adults o_O It's just that they're targeted at anime geeks-adults, and apparently that's not what you're looking for.

Man, I've never had my geek cred questioned before. I don't know whether to be insulted or relieved. Very Happy Most of these look more like teen/YA entries to me. High School Slices of Life, HS Students being heros, etc... *Granted, anime is overwhelmingly packed full of young protagonists in all genres* but some are, without a doubt, very adult oriented. The main characters in Gantz are students, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it. My 10 year old wouldn't have any trouble following most of these new shows, but something like Monster or Texhnolyze might be above his comprehensive level. I was referring more to strictly adult shows. There's usually at least one each season that really is NOT intended to be viewed by kids. To be fair though, I have developed pickier tastes over the years. After a while the tropes start seeming obvious and a title has to stand out more to get my attention. I guess I'm in the classic anime "rut." There are always at least a couple that I'll take a chance on though. Sometimes a show can surprise you and those unexpected gems can be some of the most memorable.
maaya wrote:
Quote:
It's been a while since we've seen a decent cyber-punk entry.

Indeed, recently it's become a rare genre in animes. But you can try Mardock Scramble (it's a movie triology, but still ...) and maybe Last Exile, which is steampunk and the first season was quite good.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, I think I've fished out the Cyber Punk pond. I suspect that the genre will revive at some point. I'll just have to wait until then. I jumped on Mardock Scramble the instant I could find it. I was pretty good and I'm waiting for the next installment. Last Exile was great. I watched the first one years ago. One of the few I will definitely be trying out this season is the Last Exile sequel.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
maaya wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:
Meh. Doesn't look like there's much targeted at adults.

Almost all of the new series are targeted at adults o_O It's just that they're targeted at anime geeks-adults, and apparently that's not what you're looking for.

Man, I've never had my geek cred questioned before. I don't know whether to be insulted or relieved. Very Happy Most of these look more like teen/YA entries to me. High School Slices of Life, HS Students being heros, etc... *Granted, anime is overwhelmingly packed full of young protagonists in all genres* but some are, without a doubt, very adult oriented. The main characters in Gantz are students, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it. My 10 year old wouldn't have any trouble following most of these new shows, but something like Monster or Texhnolyze might be above his comprehensive level. I was referring more to strictly adult shows. There's usually at least one each season that really is NOT intended to be viewed by kids. To be fair though, I have developed pickier tastes over the years. After a while the tropes start seeming obvious and a title has to stand out more to get my attention. I guess I'm in the classic anime "rut." There are always at least a couple that I'll take a chance on though. Sometimes a show can surprise you and those unexpected gems can be some of the most memorable.

You should give Fate/Zero a try even if you have no interest in Fate/Stay Night. Fate/Zero's main protagonist is a retired assassin who's now married and has a 8 year old daughter. Some of his opponents are also married or have been married, and all of them are adults. If the series follows the novels then already the first episode should have scenes you probably wouldn't want your child to see.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
"he can extract weapons from his nearby friends" (
Guilty Crown)

what does that mean? does he reach into his friends ear and instead of a quarter pull out a riffle....?

Anywho, Shana can't start soon enough for me~~~~~~ so many years of waiting and it's almost here~~~~
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:

You should give Fate/Zero a try even if you have no interest in Fate/Stay Night. Fate/Zero's main protagonist is a retired assassin who's now married and has a 8 year old daughter. Some of his opponents are also married or have been married, and all of them are adults. If the series follows the novels then already the first episode should have scenes you probably wouldn't want your child to see.

Thanks. You've sold me so I'll go ahead and check it out. I had been avoiding it because I didn't want to invest in the first series. Hopefully, I won't be too lost without having seen it.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
Man, I've never had my geek cred questioned before.

Well, maybe you're a geek for something else, but at least it sounds like you aren't interested in shows aimed at (male) anime geeks nowadays.

Quote:
Most of these look more like teen/YA entries to me. High School Slices of Life, HS Students being heros, etc...

Yes, but I guess that's mostly because a lot of anime otakus are nostalgic about childhood and school life, so a lot of animes have these settings even though they're not really aimed at teenagers.

Quote:
My 10 year old wouldn't have any trouble following most of these new shows, but something like Monster or Texhnolyze might be above his comprehensive level.

Mmh, for adult series, the comprehension level doesn't necessarily reflect the intended audience. A lot of anime clearly aimed at adults are incredibly childish and flat. Sometimes, if it weren't for all the fanservice I'd mistake an adult show for a children's show.
On the other hand you sometimes get children's shows like Denno Coil and Beast Player Erin, who are among the most complex, deep and well done series of the last years.

Quote:
There's usually at least one each season that really is NOT intended to be viewed by kids.

I'm not really sure what you mean, since there are like 8, 9 titles, which will most definitely be pure fanservice, i.e. really not for kids.
But afaik, on ANN's list the only children's / teen's series are Hunter x Hunter, Bakuman, Cross Fight B-Daman, Chibi Devil, Battle Spirits, Phi-Brain and maybe Gundam (which could also be counted as "mainstream"). And two of these are card game / toy - promotion shows.

Let's just hope Last Exile 2 will turn out to be as good as the first season.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Well, maybe you're a geek for something else, but at least it sounds like you aren't interested in shows aimed at (male) anime geeks nowadays.

You're absolutely right that the fan service and Moe type shows do not particularly appeal to me, but I wouldn't say that a being an "adult male anime geek" necessarily constitutes enjoying those particular genres. One guy can be as much of a tried and true anime fan as the next and still not be into Moe. People usually categorize a lot of the shows I like as leaning more toward the "masculine" end of the spectrum, though I'm actually pretty eclectic. My collection runs the gauntlet from stuff like Aoi Bungaku to NANA to Ninja Scroll. Whereas, I tend to avoid the sophomoric ecchi stuff, I lean more towards graphic violence, intense language and more mature sexual content. Note that I'm not talking about hentai here (though I've got nothing against it). I think its entirely within the male anime geekdome parameters to prefer things like Trust and Betrayal, Berserk, and Ergo Proxy. They're manly too...right?

maaya wrote:
Mmh, for adult series, the comprehension level doesn't necessarily reflect the intended audience. A lot of anime clearly aimed at adults are incredibly childish and flat. Sometimes, if it weren't for all the fanservice I'd mistake an adult show for a children's show. On the other hand you sometimes get children's shows like Denno Coil and Beast Player Erin, who are among the most complex, deep and well done series of the last years.

Maybe if I'd qualified "adult" as "adult comprehension level" it would have cleared up the misconception, though that is exactly what I meant. Totally agree with you about some children's shows appealing to an adult audience. I actually really enjoy watching several of the shows my kids are into. But in this case, I was hoping to see the inclusion of at least one show where the mature nature of the show couldn't be called into question. I mean, would anyone ever mistake GITS or Monster for kids fare? That's all I meant.

And yes, I have high hope for the new Last Exile too. Fingers Crossed.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
I think its entirely within the male anime geekdome parameters to prefer things like Trust and Betrayal, Berserk, and Ergo Proxy. They're manly too...right?

Mmh, I guess it's just that I don't see anything particularly geeky about these shows. Anybody can enjoy them just for good entertainment. Of course, there are different ways to define it. I'm going with the definition posted here some time ago.

Quote:
But in this case, I was hoping to see the inclusion of at least one show where the mature nature of the show couldn't be called into question. I mean, would anyone ever mistake GITS or Monster for kids fare? That's all I meant.

I see. I think as animes these shows (would call them "mature seinen") are rare (have become rare?) overall, not only this season. You'll probably have more luck with mangas (... and books and live action series, of course).
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Mmh, I guess it's just that I don't see anything particularly geeky about these shows. Anybody can enjoy them just for good entertainment. Of course, there are different ways to define it. I'm going with the definition posted here some time ago.

Interesting article. I love getting different people's take on what constitutes an "Otaku," though I never equated that term as being the same as the American "geek." It seems so uniquely Japanese, and carries so many connotations for people that I tend to avoid touching it. A lot of folks refuse to accept that a non-Japanese person can even be an Otaku. I'm from the generation that was called a "geek" simply for liking any anime at all, so for me that term spans a wide range.

maaya wrote:
I see. I think as animes these shows (would call them "mature seinen") are rare (have become rare?) overall, not only this season. You'll probably have more luck with mangas (... and books and live action series, of course).

They do seem to be getting scarce, but there's usually a few offered up each season. Sometimes they fall under the cyber-punk category, but not always. Mardock Scramble is one that I would include in the style I'm looking for. Do you think that could fall under Seinen or would it just be considered cyber-punk? I guess if GITS falls under that genre according to ANN it could apply. You're right though, I may have to start looking more toward manga if this dry spell continues for much longer. Shame. I always look forward to each new season in hopes that the next BeBop or GITS might be among the latest offerings.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
Meh. Doesn't look like there's much targeted at adults. .... I guess the R rated fare isn't selling well these days or something.

I think Hyouge Mono is continuing, although it's kind of hard to watch outside of Japan. I wonder what happened to the promised anime based on the (Section Chief/Division Head/President) Kosaku Shima mangas? But neither of these would be the kind of thing you are looking for.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I recognized some of the puzzles in the Psi-Brain clip. But that tends to be the sort of thing that's more fun to play than to watch. Maybe someone was trying to justify their video game addition.

I'll probably check out Last Exile -Fam and I'm likely to catch the latest Sengoku. And I might watch Shakugan III, although I can't recall if I've seen the second part yet. Many of the others I'll have to check out before committing to.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Gotta be honest, I want to check out Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere but I'm just not feeling the level of seriousness the show seems like it could have. Just... a tad too much fanservice for me to take it seriously. I'll give it a try but beyond that eh...

I will however be checking out P4TA and Mirai Nikki, been highly anticipating the second show in particular.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Chihayafuru: Honestly, at this point I'll try any show that doesn't look like it's aimed at moe-loving otaku. This looks like it's aimed at women.

I know what you mean. And yes, Chihaya-furu is a (award-winning) josei manga. I guess it's the show that everybody who liked Bunny Drop (also a josei) should watch, because there's apparently no other show that could be at least a bit similar.

Awesome, then I'll definitely check it out. I tend to like josei quite a bit...it's a nice change of pace.

Quote:
Quote:
Phi Brain: Meh, this looks pretty generic...Oh, and I like some of the seiyuu. So I'll give it a try but I don't have high expectations.

Just keep in mind that it's a children's show ^^

Oh yeah, I know it's a kid's show! But so is Princess Tutu...and My Little Pony:FiM for that matter. Kids shows don't automatically have to be lower quality just because they're for kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh yeah, I know it's a kid's show! But so is Princess Tutu...and My Little Pony:FiM for that matter. Kids shows don't automatically have to be lower quality just because they're for kids.

You call Phi Brain generic yet praise My Little Pony, putting it in the same sentence as Princess Tutu for that matter. Rolling Eyes

Now I've seen everything. Razz MLP is one of the most bland and generic shows I've seen out of any country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11