• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adventure anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I looked into Twelve Kingdoms but, at least from the trailers I saw on Youtube, I really didn't like the animation style or overall quality. Maybe it's unfair to judge from a trailer, but it just seemed so unappealing.
Basically, what LydiaDianne said. I don't think it is unfair to judge a show by its trailer (that's what they're there for), but whatever misgivings there are about the animation evaporate in the presence of the superior storytelling, beautiful and intricate settings, and great and original character development. I never had a problem with the animation style. This is the best anime I have ever seen in terms of world building and truly making you believe that these fantastical countries are real. The amount of thought, detail and depth that goes into the laws, culture and tradtions in the twelve kingdoms are amazing and intricate, and not once did I find myself thinking that an event occurred just to create drama as often is the case in other shows.

The tone of the show is serious and can be dark (so you might have to be in the right mood to watch it), but I recommend this to anyone and everyone who loves adventure, fantasy, and well-thought-out stories. This series is a treat.
HattoriHaze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Since my main option has already been picked twice (Moribito), I'll go with the adventure one I watched before it. Xam'd is full of idiosyncracies that I enjoy. The creature ideas, and how humanity is influenced by spiritism, technology, and preconceived notions, intrigued me. Observe the spiritual and political world from the window of an airship delivering mail.

Also, I'm a big fan of Last Exile (I think that's what it's called... Might just be Exile). This provides adventure in the classic vein: It's not about fighting, political maneuvering, or deep introspection (though there is certainly plenty). It's about flying across the sky in your vanship, exploring, and challenging yourself. Going on an adventure, rather than just having an adventure happen by circumstance.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Someone already mentioned Last Exile, so I'll refrain.

It's a very obvious recommendation and I might get killed for it, but One Piece is probably one of the longest, strangest, and satisfying journeys that I am aware of. It's hard to get in to at this point though because it's so bloody long. I've been trying to catch up from the very beginning for months.

Claymore maybe, though it doesn't feel all that adventurous. Same idea with Ergo Proxy. I recommend both in general though.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Someone already mentioned Last Exile, so I'll refrain.

It's a very obvious recommendation and I might get killed for it, but One Piece is probably one of the longest, strangest, and satisfying journeys that I am aware of. It's hard to get in to at this point though because it's so bloody long. I've been trying to catch up from the very beginning for months.

Claymore maybe, though it doesn't feel all that adventurous. Same idea with Ergo Proxy. I recommend both in general though.

i'll also jump on the Last Exile bandwagon, great show. Sequel as well.

as for One Piece, i can't get myself to like it. It's so over the top that it's hard to swallow for me. I basically got bored of the cast quite early(in One Piece terms, that would mean around episode 3421, right?), they just didn't interest me at all. I also hate the character designs to death.

Claymore...hm, i guess it's alright enough a show to recommend it. At least it is good enough to bridge the gap if you don't know what to watch and are into medieval-like settings.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
In temrs of films, Steamboy was quite good. Well, I have not seen it in a while, and I would probably need to refresh it, but there were some really interesting sequences in it, and I liked the combination of the Victorian London and the sci-fi elements.
Deathnid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
A newer series released late last year Sword Art Online is a good fantasy/ adventure/ si-fi kind of jazz with a hint of romance (the second half actually has a bit more than a hint) Its not as deep as something like Last exile (wich is great), but it has a nice plot and charecter development.
l7997

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to post here because I was looking for a good adventure, drama, and maybe romance-ish show. One with a strong, charismatic, admirable female lead. A protagonist like Youko in Junni Kouki would be fitting. Unfortunately, It looks like this thread is to just recommend shows. Where would I post then? is that not allowed?

It'd be nice to have a strong female lead thread.
ZeusPanda

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Kiba: A little less known than other main adventure anime series (like that of One Piece). It has a decent story, although a bit rushed. The character development is pretty well done, too. It can feel cryptic at times, but they do not seek to explain everything to you so you'll have to keep your eyes and ears open for hints rather than full blown explanations. While the animation is of good quality, the story is rough. The action scenes are great, there are spirits that people can summon and fight along side, which makes it kind of similar to Shaman King (if I recall correctly since it has been over a decade since I've seen the show).

Trigun: A masterpiece of a tv series. Vash is the embodiment of Plato's Unfortunate Moralist (a person who is moral, but has the reputation and is seen as immoral by everyone else) and it clearly illustrates the struggle that Vash has in deciding how to proceed with evil and how other people treat him because of his reputation. It, also, walks the line between comedy and heavy drama really well with action peppered in to fuel both the comedy or the drama. I cannot say anything bad about this show at all. It's just excellent. I will say that you should not be fooled by the comedy of the show and take it for being light-hearted because that is not the case and everyone that I talk to that thinks little of Trigun does so because they are fooled by the comedy.

Hunter x Hunter: A great anime (much better than the manga, too) that illustrates a whole new world through the perspective of a young and good hearted adventurer trying to be a hunter like his father. The MC is really optimistic and enthusiastic, which you cannot help but be affected. The world is a fantasy world with different giant creatures (like dinosaurs and giant dogs/wolves) but nothing like a rich fantasy world. The criticism of this is that the character development for the MC does not exist. He is static, but the minor characters develop instead, which is okay. In the latest arc the character undergoes some development, but it is unclear of whether or not it materializes as actual character development or it is just a decision that the author will decide to shrug off.

There are more I can recommend, but I'll stop here.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
l7997 wrote:
It'd be nice to have a strong female lead thread.

I know this comment was made last fall, but I thought I'd mention that we do have such a thread now thanks to nbahn: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2828171
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
If you're looking for something fun along the lines of Hunter x Hunter and One Piece, I'd recommend Magi, another shounen adventure series with a great sense of discovery. The world is based loosely off the 1001 Arabian Nights (and many of the characters are named after 1001 Nights characters), so the setting is pretty unique among anime. All of the countries the main characters travel to are well-thought-out and a lot of fun to explore, and the system of magic is pretty interesting, too. The series can also get surprisingly political at times. In particular, it deals with issues like slavery and oppression with a lot more sensitivity than one might expect from this type of show. A couple of arcs in the middle of the series are pretty weak, but IMO the stronger parts more than make up for those bumps in the road. The clever little references to the 1001 Nights are a nice bonus.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
So now it is 2016. My question: Did any good adventure series come out in 2015? (Please, no unannotated lists.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2