• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note dub and its [adult swim] broadcast.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, so I just youtubed as many Death Note director's cut scenes as I could...and all of then DESERVED to be on the cutting room floor. They were fun to watch but I'm glad they weren't in the finished product.

Especially the scene at L's grave. Especially.

For one thing, it would have been bad for Light to lose that much of his composure and dignity that early on. It dampens the incredible effect of the ending to show his psychosis too early. That, and honestly, the whole scene was too gratuitous and disturbing even by Death Note standards. That level of gore and artsy distortion, again, was so much more effective if saved solely for the ending. Finally, and this is a biggie, L's death is enough of a slap in the face that Light dancing (or, well, barking like a dog) on his grave is too hard on the fans, and as evil as Light is, his character deserves more respect than that, and L's certainly does. No reason to show the Yotsube boys in Elfen Lied demises, either. So, bad scene idea. I did, however, like the final image of stoic Light on the outside...and his ghoulish reflection. That was cool. But again, maybe too psychotic too early on.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah man, I totally agree with you on that. L dosen't deserve the crap Light gave him on his funeral. It was a wee bit disturbing and I'm quite glad they edited that part out....
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
It was really funny when L wiped his hands after shaking hands with Light, but I think I still like the one they used is better cause it really got to Light when he said it. The funeral scene, I actually liked it, it shows that Light is becoming less human as time goes on, and even though he wanted L dead, he kinda thought of his as a friend, but when the deed was done, he stopped caring completely about L. And the death scenes after, they were just cool.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, what happened last Saturday, did Daeth Note air at it's origional time slot, or did something else take it's place ?
Champ386

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
They just started the series over with the first episode.
zero_chance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
ALL human beings go to mu. That wasn't made especially clear in the anime...

Well, not within the series' narrative itself. But I'm pretty sure that that was the contents of the series' final eyecatch/bumper. "All humans go to Mu after death" or somesuch.
freezespell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I heard there was a one-shot sequel to the manga. It would probably make a good animated movie sequel to the anime. I don't know anything about what takes place in it, but I might need to look up on it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked the scene at L's grave not because he deserved it but because it shows us exactly the type of thing that light would do later
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
freezespell wrote:
I heard there was a one-shot sequel to the manga. It would probably make a good animated movie sequel to the anime. I don't know anything about what takes place in it, but I might need to look up on it.

Yeah, I read it. It really isn't worth animating though. It just follows a one shot case of some kira wannabe that trys to take Lights place.

spoiler[Near is asked to take the case and solve it, but he denies, as that would be the thing that L would do. In the end, the wannabe ends up killing himself becasue he could not take the pressure of being Kira.]
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
freezespell wrote:

Yeah, I read it. It really isn't worth animating though. It just follows a one shot case of some kira wannabe that trys to take Lights place.

spoiler[Near is asked to take the case and solve it, but he denies, as that would be the thing that L would do. In the end, the wannabe ends up killing himself becasue he could not take the pressure of being Kira.]

ya, it kinda sucked Sad
bamwabam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
hey ok i just watch the directors cut so do you think they will make another deathnote since the other shinigami went into the human world and did ryuk call the other shinigami light at the end?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
well there's a fake wikipedia page that says death note 2 but all sources point to code geass season 2 it's a good trick though.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
I doubt they'll make a death note two cause not everybody knows about the directors cut so they'll all get confused. Also, Death Note has done really well even in North America with a majority of the age groups, I think it would screw things up in a sequel.
bamwabam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ah ok but i still have one question at the end of the directors cut did ryuk call that shinigami light?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
bamwabam wrote:
ah ok but i still have one question at the end of the directors cut did ryuk call that shinigami light?

That's the impression that I got. MOST if not ALL of my friends said they thought that would happen to Light after he died when they first read the manga, given the "heaven nor hell" rule. It only makes sense that the director would come to the same conclusion...

Cheesy as it is. I think it both would have been a fitting end to the series, just because I don't like the idea that all humans go to nothing when they die, (because it makes any moral boundaries the series protested against null and void, if there is no afterlife, there is no moral code) but by the same token, it's more than Light deserves. He deserves to die and go nowhere, but the rest of the cast and humanity deserves to be judged by the codes they held.

Light made his will law. That deserves something far worse...being forgotten entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 34