• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Haven't seen the anime, but Gonzo being the ones behind it doesn't motivate me to. That, and the manga is entertaining enough as it is.

Those are basically the reasons I'm passing on the anime. I'm enjoying the manga and plan to get the novel and I don't see any reason to get the anime on top of that. The fact that its Gonzo doesn't exactly help.

This is directed at anyone.

But does anybody know if the animation quality takes a nose-dive like we've seen before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
Haven't seen the anime, but Gonzo being the ones behind it doesn't motivate me to. That, and the manga is entertaining enough as it is.

Those are basically the reasons I'm passing on the anime. I'm enjoying the manga and plan to get the novel and I don't see any reason to get the anime on top of that. The fact that its Gonzo doesn't exactly help.

I was kind of lukewarm about NHK myself. The animation quality, for the bulk of the series, is average at best (and almost unwatchable at worst). There are a few bright spots from KA greats like Tetsuya Takeuchi (Ken writing calligraphy in ep. 1 of Kamichu, the entirety of Honey & Clover ep. 7), but it's not worth slogging through the rest for a few nice moments. The direction isn't anything fantastic either. I could have seen myself getting into the story if it was presented in a more interesting way, but for me it was all-in-all kind of a forgettable experience. I liked Genshiken worlds better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
D: Oh God. So that's what you meant. I was convinced that you were implying that little boys could get their jollies off by just peeking in at their sisters.

Thank goodness you clarified. Anime hyper
I thought the otaku cliche with incest was the older brother peeking at the little sister?

And now that we've all been officially disturbed, revolted, and/or somewhat aroused by all this, I'd like to ask a small question about NHK. Wink

Just how much of a mind screw is this series anyway?

I know Sato's pretty screwed up and that the series is a very dark comedy with plenty of very real feeling madness, but are we talking A Beautiful Mind kind of crazy or just regular crazy? I mean, when I start watching, do I need to be aware that maybe none of the characters are real but Sato?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

This is directed at anyone.

But does anybody know if the animation quality takes a nose-dive like we've seen before?

I've heard that a few of the episodes somewhere in the middle portion of the series were horrible but it sounds like its decent overall.

Richard J. wrote:
I thought the otaku cliche with incest was the older brother peeking at the little sister?

No, that's the incest hentai cliche.

Quote:
Just how much of a mind screw is this series anyway?

I know Sato's pretty screwed up and that the series is a very dark comedy with plenty of very real feeling madness, but are we talking A Beautiful Mind kind of crazy or just regular crazy? I mean, when I start watching, do I need to be aware that maybe none of the characters are real but Sato?

I've only seen a couple of episodes of the anime, so I'm basing this mainly on the three (out of six or so) volumes of the manga I've read. It's not really a mind screw show for the audience, it just shows how royally screwed up the cast is. No mind f***s for the audience as far as I know.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I must confess that I've been a bad reader. This is the first Shelf Life I've read in quite some time, seems I kept forgetting to read it as other things would come up and after awhile I got out of the habit.

I found the comments about Tekkonkinkreet interesting because that's the way I've seen a number of more recent anime movies. Most notably this years release of Origin, which like Tekkonkinkreet seemed to have far too much going on for the films short length. It's like they want to cram 2 hours with a television seasons worth of plot and we end up getting a rush job that seems little more than a demonstration of wasted potential. Even the much anticipated Advent Children seemed to suffer from the same problem. Here's hoping this is little more than a temporary trend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I liked what I've seen of Welcome to the NHK, but cover art like that makes me resist buying even the best of shows. I wish companies would keep the fanservice off the box art.

Go check out the cover art for the R2 DVDs then. Smile What's funny is that they're designed in a style similar to that of ads one sees on the commuter trains in Japan. In the top quarter of each DVD back cover they feature the cover art in a mini mock train ad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Tekkon Kinkreet is like the Arias film, but without the jerk-off extended scenes. Cool
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
yeaaaaah.

Next time try and word it so that it doesn't make you think everyone's keen on their sisters while growing up. Only child or not, it's not the best thing to either do, mention, or whatever else.

You're creepy.
So you didn't have a sister either, who had a messy room, and left her dirty laundry about, or had to share a bathroom with while you grew up? Are you still growing up? What I'm talking about is exposure to the opposite sex, enough not to be needing to see fanservice in a cartoon for. Wink

D: Oh God. So that's what you meant. I was convinced that you were implying that little boys could get their jollies off by just peeking in at their sisters.

Thank goodness you clarified. Anime hyper
I think you guys must watch too much loli , or something. Just what could you have read into " young virgin boys with no sister." to think that boys could be peeking at a sister they don't have? I hope you comprehend what I mean by "virgin". Rolling Eyes
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
While not bootleg, my first thought on looking at the GTO season box was "did the Bandai virus spread and cause other distributors to think folding boxes were acceptable behavior?" On second appraisal, it just looks very ... hastily done.

Wasn't impressed by Witchblade at Otakon, so plan to skip that one. Based on the review, I am fairly curious just how close this one came to the perishable pile though.

Ahh, the dreaded inter-volume cliffhanger .. actually, for me it doesn't even need the suspense, I just hate the wait. One of these days I might learn my lesson and hold out for the sets to hit since I have neither the time nor inclination to watch as they come out (Second Raid being an unfortunate exception,) and saving about a third is always nice.

VEGANDARAE wrote:
halfadeckshort wrote:
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Does this mean that GTO gets a new cast or will it all stay the same?

The contents of the DVDs are the same, Funimation is just doing the packaging and distribution.

that's good news!

and do they still have Marmalade Boy in the works?

Pretty sure I also remember seeing somewhere that Funi was not going to pursue the expiring parts of MB (nor re-do any of the sections with time left on the clock.) Though Mylene should at least be glad Comcast is going to resume showing through Select on Demand next month so we don't have to go hunting for or opening boxes (but you will need to put in another two nights of watching as they will start with ep 43.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
They aren't going to be doing Marmalade Boy. *cries*
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I hope you comprehend what I mean by "virgin". Rolling Eyes

The way you phrased it implied that boys with a sister perve on their sisters, which doesn't uhh.. happen.

Atleast not in my family, anyway.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching Tekkon Kinkreet today and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The first thing that really surprised me is that it is a 2.35:1 production which is almost unheard of (Little Norse Prince comes to mind) in anime. As far as I know most anime films are 1.85:1 unless I'm not aware of cropping. It is also neat that the image from the movie pops up when the DVD is idle in the player which is something that not many DVDs incorporated. The third really nice thing are the two extras on this disc. Mr. Arias' Japanese is really good. I'm also glad that the uncompressed 5.1 PCM track is available and hope Sony releases other Blu-ray (Cowbow Bebop, Steam Boy, Metropolis. etc.) at these affordable prices soon.

As for Welcome to NHK, I had no idea what the series was going to be about. After finishing the first volume I'm still not sure if I really like the series. At the very least this will entertain me until more Genshiken is released in the US. I suppose that I can relate more with the Genshiken crowd (I'm most like Madarame) and Otaku no VIdeo more than Sato from NHK. Maybe I'd get more into the series if his otaku neighbor was the central character.

I really was surprised that I enjoyed Witchblade. I almost didn't buy this title since it didn't land on the top 1000 ranked titles on ANN, but decided to pick it up since I read the comics when they were coming out and Psycho said it was a goodie. There is something about the maternal/paternal relationship which can also be found in Gonzo's Speed Grapher and Solty Rei which really works for me. I suppose I'm a jaded old man who is tired of seeing teenaged protagonists finding their first love, and Gonzo seems to hit the mark once again for me. I also love the interview at Top Cow which is a fun extra. Bamboo had me staring at the inner cover image as well which I don't think I even bothered to look at before her article.

I really didn't expect to like Rumbling Hearts when I was collecting it, but found myself really drawn into the series. One of my favorite things about this series and these forums is to see which girl the members here support since it is divided fairly evenly. I'm one of those Mitsuki fans and felt really horrible for her throughout most of the series. Watching this series really made me want to find the game.

GTO might be the biggest gap (not counting Viz's shounen stuff) in my collection until now. I'm really glad at how inexpensive Funimation's rereleases of GTO, Ryo-Ohki, Initial D and Slayers are. My biggest complaint is that there is a place in these box sets where you can insert a booklet, but the only thing inserted is an ad for Funimation DVDs. I really like Funi's (as well as ADV's and Manga's GITS SAC) little books that come with their DVDs and would have enjoyed even a small one with at least a DVD breakdown. From what I hear Funi has included their nice Fullmetal ones in their collections.

Bamboo, my opinions still lines up with yours more than Zak, Theron, Carl, or the rest of the fun ANN staff but once again (I enjoyed School Rumble from your last column) I would place the above rentals into shelf worthy. This is a real good time for anime series since I will agree with you that there are few titles that I've recently purchased that I would consider perishable.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
... the entirety of Honey & Clover ep. 7...

I loved that episode! I still remember being struck by the quality of the animation, particularly when they were all looking for the four-leaf clover. Surprised that Gonzo manage to rope someone talented in like that.

Also, I'm confused on why people are comparing Welcome to the N.H.K. to Genshiken. Because it has anime otaku? The latter is a purely a dramedy while the former is more of a black comedy. I can't speak for the anime adaption, but the manga of N.H.K. enlarges its focus to more than just those "sick, depraved otaku who are in their 20s and have zero contact with the outside world." And considering the size of its source material, I would presume that the original novel barely touches that aspect in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4