• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (TV) (all seasons + movie) - Japanese broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
First I'm a bit suprised that no one mentioned that Saji finally pulled the trigger for a change, odd that I didn't even think the 0-raiser was armed.

Am I the only one who is a bit confused that the idea behined Aeolia's master plan was to unite humanity before they met with aliens?

The comment about the bridge girls never really crossed my mind. The only thing that stood out as odd for me was that Mileina adds -desu at the end of every sentance, even in combat situations. Gundam crews have always been young for the most part.

I have to say that in my opinion, not only is Lyle probably the most human of the meisters, but his character is the easiest for me to relate to. Allelujah is kind of a wimp, Setsuna is a bit too stoic, and Tieria is just odd. Lyle is flawed, but acts more like a normal person would most of the time. As far as him letting Ali go, I fully believe that he knew that Ali would go for his gun if he seemed to back down, thus allowing him to shoot him face to face, instead of putting a bullet in his back.

Lots of things need tied up, including the fates of several characters. I wonder if Grahm will end up with a last minute assist before the final credits roll. It really is a lot to do in one episode.
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
MeanMachine wrote:
The problem with this show is not that it is bad in itself, but rather that it is badly MANAGED! I mean, 18 hours or so is a lot of fricking time to tell a story. But they crapped it on many level.

What is to blame is either something like a lack of coordination between the scriptwriters and the animators, or that the script was being written and/or rewriten as the show was being produced. I think it's most probably the last one, since you can't frick up that much if you have a minimum of a plan.

But hey, it's less idiotic than wing or destiny, and as nice animation and fight scenes, with some decent music.

I too want this to end so I can see FMA. Man, this is going to be awsome.

OLIVIA, MARRY ME! Razz

I kind of agree and I don't.

I think they really approached this like they were doing two separate series or seasons rather then 1 continuous one like the other Gundam shows were. And while they were successful, I can't help but wonder if complaints by some of the political conflicts being too complicated didn't factor into making season 2 less so with the complete advent of Innovators and ALAWS in being the sole bad guys.

But, for the most part season 2 was very well managed. It could have used another episode or two truthfully, to allow more characters like Allelujah or Graham to do stuff and maybe explain characters backgrounds an episode or two before they get killed but from what time it got, they did great.

You really see the growth of characters like Setsuna and Tiera over the course of the two seasons, albeit, some times it was heavy handed. Lyle was pretty good, like penguintruth said, he wasn't just a carbon copy of Neil, didn't have his leadership or composure but was a good character. spoiler[Not to mention Anew's death is probably the best homage/remake of a 'newtype' scene outside of the UC timeline.]. Really of the Gundam pilots, only Allelujah seemed to need to change a little because he was boring and a pilot that never got to do anything besides annoy Marie/Soma, who actually was more interesting then him. You kind of wished Hallelujah was the one to survive into season 2.

But either way, this is right behind G Gundam as my favorite AU Gundam series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I have a few more specific thoughts about the episode.

I wish they didn't introduce more jargon with "Innovade". It would have simply been more prudent to say, "We're not the intended Innovators, we're just the guiding force to them." When you introduce a new term this late, it seems like it's just being pulled out of an ass. We all could have understood the point without a new term. I'm glad, though, that Regene sort of returned and Tieria got to be with his true love - Veda. Or rather, gets to be Veda.ally the music in the scene where Soma/Marie talks to Andrei. That

The Lyle thing: Lyle is probably one of my favorite characters of the series, because he's complex and flawed. He started out holding back his skills, for instance. Another thing is how he always stated how little revenge meant to him, but that was before he ever really had to meet it head on. When he said in last week's episode that he now understood his brother's desire for revenge, but was a different person and while he couldn't judge his brother on that obsession anymore, he wasn't like him, I really got the impression of how mature he was. Of course, I thought it was pushing it that they had him be the one to actually finish Ali off, because it confused that development.

GN Burst - did it really heal Lasse and Louise? I got the impression that it put Lasse's sickness into remission, but Louise just seemed to have passed out and Saji overreacted. It certainly didn't magically solve everyone's problems, but I can see where a viewer might think it was a little too flashy. And if this is what helps people communicate, why put it in a big ol' war machine? I understand Aeolia's plan to keep us from taking war into deep space, just in case we meet others, but then why put the catalyst of our evolution in a weapon?

And who was that person who whispered to Setsuna just as the GN Burst kicked in? Somebody said, "Setsuna, change for my sake. I wasn't able to." Was it Tieria? Neil?

Regardless, I thought the episode was pretty good, especi scene was especially poignant, I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And who was that person who whispered to Setsuna just as the GN Burst kicked in? Somebody said, "Setsuna, change for my sake. I wasn't able to." Was it Tieria? Neil?

You don't remember? It was Setsuna remembering what Neil (we knew it was him because of the eye-patch) told him in a dream, that he wasn't able to change but Setsuna could and should. The dream happened in episode fifteen of season two, around the middle of the episode. I always thought it was the first sign that Setsuna was beginning to change into an Innovator, and that his subconsciousness knew it and was using the memory of Neil as a way to cryptically tell Setsuna.

Come on penguintruth, you can't allow a hater like me to know something about Gundam 00 that you don't know. Hah.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the second time I watched it today I recognized it as Neil. The first time I thought it might be Tieria or even Aeolia Shenburg (that would've been weird!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The first time I thought it might be...Aeolia Shenburg (that would've been weird!).

Uh, I thought you had bought into the whole NewType/GN "The Dead Can Talk to Us" deal that I personally despise so much. I mean, if Kamille can turn his dead comrades' spirits into energy to power up the Zeta Gundam, and if Regene can communicate even while "dead" (among many examples), then Aeolia talking wouldn't be much of a stretch, right?

Just wondering.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
No, I still think the GN communication was a worthwhile plot device, it just would have been jarring to hear somebody we haven't heard since Trans-Am first came into the picture. I guess it would have made a sort of sense, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Things that I hate about the final episode:

It doesn't conclude the series, instead leaving that oh so important job for a movie which will be aired in 2010. For sanity's sake, this is absurd and disgusting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

Ribbons has the Twin Drive System installed in his machine. Why would he covet the 00 Gundam if he already had something just as good?

Setsuna and Ribbons take out one another's Mechas, and the 00 Gundam's Drives are scattered. Celestial Being picks up one of them, Ribbons the other. Ribbons also steals the 0 Gundam and plugs the stolen Drive into it. Setsuna hops into the Exia (which we haven't seen in about twenty-two episodes), and plugs the Drive Celestial Being still has into it. Say what?

Then the Exia and 0 Gundam fight. As if we didn't already have enough battles, we get this. Setsuna wins, of course. So cliche. It is a fight that never should have happened, and is absurd to the extreme. It also cuts into the available screentime for the epilogue.

Patrick is alive, and marries Kati. I know he was supposed to be immortal, but well... Actually, I suppose it is no worse than anything else.

Ribbons survives. Hence, the plot for the movie. He was never a convincing antagonist, and now we have to see more of him? Gag me with a wooden spoon.

I know we aren't supposed to use 4Chan-style pictures, but I couldn't pass it up. It best sums up my reaction to this so-called "finale".

(Taken from Anime Suki, thanks go out to Tempester.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It doesn't conclude the series, instead leaving that oh so important job for a movie which will be aired in 2010. For sanity's sake, this is absurd and disgusting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

It concluded the main conflict. The movie will wrap up loose ends. Everyone already knew about the movie for weeks. Disgusting? Get over it.

Quote:
Ribbons has the Twin Drive System installed in his machine. Why would he covet the 00 Gundam if he already had something just as good?

Because he only had Tau Drives, not the proper GN Drives.

Quote:
As if we didn't already have enough battles, we get this. Setsuna wins, of course. So cliche. It is a fight that never should have happened, and is absurd to the extreme. It also cuts into the available screentime for the epilogue.

Half the episode was the epilogue. God forbid the first half be the final battle between the main protagonist and the main antagonist. Sorry it's too cliche for your tastes.

Quote:
Ribbons survives. Hence, the plot for the movie. He was never a convincing antagonist, and now we have to see more of him?

How wasn't he a convincing antagonist?

Quote:
Gag me with a wooden spoon.

Are you even old enough to remember when that expression was last relevant?
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind that they aren't ending it until the film. Otherwise they'd end up doing something like Endless Waltz or Gundam Seed Destiny for the film, where your ending concluded everything but apparently there was some completely unseen party waiting to take the previous villains place.

Where are you guys watching this from anyway though, is it just the raw that everyone is seeing, because I didn't know anyone had the last episode out yet? I gave up on worrying about spoilers reading the first line of the 2nd to last post. That doesn't really ruin series for me even though I try to avoid them usually.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth, I'm pretty sure the ANN news article about the movie just went up yesterday. Since I'm not a diehard fan who reads spoilers and laps up every single scrap of information that is released, I cannot be blamed for being highly surprised - and even more disappointed - in this regard.

Xanas wrote:
Where are you guys watching this from anyway though, is it just the raw that everyone is seeing, because I didn't know anyone had the last episode out yet? I gave up on worrying about spoilers reading the first line of the 2nd to last post. That doesn't really ruin series for me even though I try to avoid them usually.

It is the "s" word. As in, stream. I'll say no more.
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Ribbons survives. Hence, the plot for the movie. He was never a convincing antagonist, and now we have to see more of him? Gag me with a wooden spoon.

spoiler[
Where/when did you see Ribbons survive? You see 0 Gundam blow, the wreckage of Exia and then the epilogue where the only surviving possible antagonists were Graham, the Anew clone with the glasses at the President's address and the menacing image of Jupiter at the end. \]

Last edited by Wellness on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, it was kind of rhetorical because I know that's against the rules and didn't intend anyone answer it. It was more of an "I'm wondering" type of thing and I should have made that clear.

Just finished the one I was looking for to be released and I thought it was good. I also am kind of wondering how people are seeing spoiler[ Ribbons in this, unless it's a guess based on the Anew clone. ]

Obviously "dialogues" may mean a lot more than that.
guet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The ending could have been a bit better, but I didn't think it was all that bad. A solid ending for a solid series in my opinion.

I actually liked the spoiler[0 Gundam Vs. Exia idea. If it had been the 00 vs the Ribbons special at the end, people would have complained that the 00 was too powerful. This way both machines were equal and it was up to Setsuna's skill. I didn't see anything that showed Ribbons surviving though. The epilogue was predictable, but still fairly well done (you knew Patrick couldn't go out like that), and the ending is enough to stand alone, but still leaves enough things open for the movie. ]

As far as spoiler[ the shot of Jupiter at the end is concerned, I just hope the movie doesn't go into the whole alien invasion thing hinted at by Tieria. First with the singing and such, and then aliens, I hope Gundam doesn't try and turn into Macross. I just don't see it working out well.]

A few questions about the end that makes me think I missed some things during the series.
spoiler[
Who was the guy who killed himself in the room during the epilogue? Also, there was a shot of someone sitting at a desk in a large room, with a flag in the background, Any ideas on who, or why the shot was important? Where were Marie and Allelujah going? It looked like they were with some refugees, but I didn't recognize their destination. ]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
guet, I believe the person who spoiler[committed suicide] was Homer Katagiri. Not entirely sure on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 60