• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family Honors Anime Fan Killed While Serving in Iraq

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
babbo wrote:
*woosh* See that? That was my whole point flying completely over your head.

What an annoying statement. I got your point about the article itself, so don't assume that I didn't. I just happen to disagree.
If you had you would have never said anything about the reporting of anime fan deaths which I never specifically discussed as a whole and never intended to discuss -.-;;

Quote:

babbo wrote:
I never said anything about reporting anime fans deaths, this is about soldiers deaths as a whole. For that matter people in general. There are plenty of better reasons things than anime fandom to be the reason why a person should get special mention.

I'm saying that it should be posted because it's new and interesting vs. "look at this new anime, here." Besides, this site isn't about people in general, just anime fans. We see enough soldiers' names other places, and it would only make sense that this anime fan is mentioned because of the "Family Honors..." part.

Again another point, we do see it everywhere else. Why do we have to see it here too? What valid reason is there to post it here? New? Interesting? Another soldier died (no offense intended here). You can't honestly say that's new can you? Again, it's a given that some of them will be anime fans. Why does it need special mention?

DuelLadyS wrote:
babbo wrote:

Why aren't you bothered by it? Shouldn't all of our fallen soldiers be treated equally after their deaths? And yet since this guy was anime fan he gets special mention? Anime should have nothing to do why or how he gets mentioned, there are so many damn better reasons to remember a person for.

Um, dude? This is an anime website. They can't exactly do a report on each and every soldier's death- this guy had an anime tie-in, and someone from ANN caught wind of it... so, yes, he does get "special mention", if you really think a paragraph on a website dealing with a small bit of America's subculture is so 'special'. It's not like the president is giving him a medal of honor for anime fandom, y'know.

Again, the problem isn't merely with ANN, there's still the News Paper that the article is from.

Quote:

This guy's family/ hometown/ fellow soliders will handle the 'better reasons' for rememberance... ANN is certainly allowed to post 5 lines on the part that relates to what ANN talks about. Or should ANN never talk about a solider's death ever becuase it's not fair to the guys who weren't anime fans?
Why should they though? What truly valid reason is there for them to do this? Have you ever honestly wished to know among other things that a dead person was an anime fan? The guy got a news article that specifically goes out of it's way to paint the large part of his picture as an anime fan. And why bring the war into a site on cartoons?

Quote:

babbo wrote:

Your jingoist self image issues about other anime fans can kiss the blackest part of my arse.
~~~~
First off, chilax man. If you're not able to keep your cool in a discussion then you probably shouldn't be taking part in it.

Pot calling the kettle black a lil' there? Well, in any case, I'm done with this.

Guess so, but before that point I had held off from the vulgar language (I also tend to forget that damn is a swear so it needn't be taken as evidence of me getting pissed). And part of his post was targeted at another discussion we had had that he had apparently gotten a bit worked up over.

Steel Angel wrote:
Any of you ever considered the reason most soldiers are not remembered in such manner, is that many prefer more traditional burials and many of the families keep most of these things private.

Yes there are many Anime fans in the service, I was one of them. I served for 10 years and have 2 deployments to hostile environments under my belt (Bosnia and Afghanistan).

Bottom line, the family wanted to remember him for something he enjoyed and loved, and to let it touch those who share a similar interest and joy in life (Anime). There is nothing more to it.

Keep your opinions of what you think is right and wrong with the war to yourself, this thread and the article formed from it are a reminder of those who serve, and those who make the ultimate sacrifice. If you choose to remember, take a moment of silence, or just to remember and honor this soldier then do so. If your opening your mouth about things you have personally never experienced then keep your mouth shut, you dishonor not only this soldier but many others with your back handed comments and lack of tact for things you don't have a clue about.

All life is important, and it is a tragic loss to see any fall. Personally I thank ANN for this, people seem to forget about those who serve, and that regardless of who they are, they are people too.

What does actually serving have to do with this? The same situation could easily be applied to someone who died at home.

That's the problem with a sentimentalist argument, bigger picture stuff gets lost when you focus on a single aspect of a situation that is particularly important to you (not to mention that you brush of other opinions while you sit on your high horse).

Last edited by babbo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This is really getting ridiculous. Let's stop tearing apart each others' posts and opinions and move on. The article was related to anime because the person who died was remembered with something anime-related and was labeled as having been "one of us" and further shows that all walks of life have suffered as a result of this ridiculous conflict. Let's leave it at that and move on.

There's no need to pick apart every news article and then spam back and forth at each other over it. Let's get on with our lives already!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I can attest to the fact that there are quite a few anime fans in the military. Always sad to hear of the fallen. My heart goes out to his survivors.

I wonder who it was a figure of? It said he also had the same character's sticker on his transport, and thats what his buddy told his mom. I wonder if that narrows it down at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Moogle-X wrote:
This is really getting ridiculous. Let's stop tearing apart each others' posts and opinions and move on. The article was related to anime because the person who died was remembered with something anime-related and was labeled as having been "one of us" and further shows that all walks of life have suffered as a result of this ridiculous conflict. Let's leave it at that and move on.

There's no need to pick apart every news article and then spam back and forth at each other over it. Let's get on with our lives already!

Meh I'm done, tired of repeating myself and I've got work to do <.<
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Endless babble.

You have missed the entire point of this article, and drawn a very pointless argument out for three pages now. The fact of the matter is that though this was an anime fan who died while serving his country in Iraq, his family was aware of and respected his interests enough to memoralize him in a way that states that he was an anime fan, before, during, and to the time of his death. Lots of people have died while in Iraq, but I'm sure that they had their own interests, and I'm sure that there have been families who have commemorated the lives of their loved ones with the interests that they had while alive and serving in Iraq.

I would bet you money that there is probably some Star Wars or Halo or Mario type memorial out for somebody who has given their life while in Iraq. Are you going to go onto whatever website you find like that and them the same bullshit that you are giving here? The family honored their fallen son, like many other families honor their fallen sons. Live with the fact that this war is dragging out, all kinds of people are dying. If you have a beef about it, try and do something about it instead of sitting in front of your computer dragging this pointless conversation out.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I wonder who it was a figure of? It said he also had the same character's sticker on his transport, and thats what his buddy told his mom. I wonder if that narrows it down at all.

I'm quite interested to find this out myself. I tried looking around, but there doesn't seem to be any other mention. Although if anyone reading this is actually stationed at Ft. Stewart and could take a look at the memorial, that would be greatly appreciated.

And as far as the "appropriateness" of this article to the site goes, ANN has always been more than just an industry news source. For as long as ANN has been around, we've reported on all types of happenings that affect not just the anime companies, but also the community of anime and manga fans everywhere in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

What does actually serving have to do with this? The same situation could easily be applied to someone who died at home.

That's the problem with a sentimentalist argument, bigger picture stuff gets lost when you focus on a single aspect of a situation that is particularly important to you (not to mention that you brush of other opinions while you sit on your high horse).

Hypocrisy at it's best. Thanks for showing up.
lalachan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
god most of you are being dicks.

This is just the same as reading the article about the maid cafe in Thailand shutting down. No one argued if that article had "relevance"
It's a maid cafe not in Japan that has no ties to the industry. So why should anyone care? Cause someone does and it is anime related.
If you don't like it don't read. Stop being a dick.
He happened to be an anime fan and it happened to be in another news paper. I'm sure if there were other anime fan soldiers in the newspaper then there would be mention of them here too.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, I can't believe this went three pages of people arguing whether or not this is news worthy. Though I doubt anyone will admit it it's pretty obvious the detractors are hung up over this being about war. Truth is I have no doubt that a similar news article about a memorial for someone who was murdered or died in an accident would be given equal time. This isn't about a soldiers death, in fact I dare say this is irrelevant to the article (Savannah Morning News is only the source and how they handle their article doesn't reflect what was put forward by ANN). This article is purely about the unique way they were memorialized as an anime fan. This could have been a school teacher who died in a car accident and a memorial at a private cemetery, the focus would still be on the memorial. Though maybe some of you would still complain that teachers die every day. I for one appreciate this type of article here as they help break up the monotony of the industry news and I find them very much relevant to ANN. Don't think ANN gives equal time? Then next time you see a similar news piece submit it and prove me wrong.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, this just go to show, that when you add the words "Iraq War" to anything it turns into an argument. ANN shoulda known better.

And yeah it's my first post, but I'm still right.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to fighterholic, Emerje, and a few others. I was trying to get that point across (which I'll admit I'm not the very best at arguing), but apparently it wasn't getting past all the other ridiculous ideas brought up over the past three pages.
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, while you guys are bickering like old ladies, I would like to say wherever this Private is, let us hope it is filled with the very things that he held dear to his heart. Godspeed, soldier. *salutes*

My thoughts go out to his family and I hope they are strong during these tough times.
Dolem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why this turned into a debate as to whether ANN is the place for this bit of news. I've seen articles about psychotic anime fans going on murder sprees in Japan on this site. Why should we not see the other side of the coin?

It appears some people are arguing just for argument's sake. Maybe this energy would be better spent praying for this soldier and the ones he left behind (both his family and his comrades who are still serving).

Good on ANN for letting us know about this.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame. Hearing about people dying in Iraq is really saddening, and its a shame when it does happen.

I have family over in Iraq right now, so people who are making such a big fuss about how this shouldn't be in the news really should stop being so disrespectful. Yeah, ANN didn't report every anime related death, but it's honestly rude to say that this article should have never been made at all.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Fabe wrote:
I disagree, the article shows that anime fans are'nt all a bunch of stereotypical overweight "losers" but come from all walks of life.

Isn't that already a given? There's no need to use this guy's death to reaffirm something like that. It could be easily done with any number of other people from any walk of life.

With all of us sitting at home watching anime and spending time on the internet, the fact that it was a fellow fan who died thousands of miles from home, and who was being honored, helps make an otherwise abstract war more real and visceral. I don't personally know anyone in the military, so I only hear about Iraq in the media. This isn't a statistic, it's a guy who could've been a younger, braver version of me.

Was it "necessary" to post this story? Maybe not. But effective? Hell yes. Anything that keeps troops (or anyone else) from being reduced to statistics is a good thing in my book.

From what I've heard there are actually a heck of a lot of anime fans and other kinds of "geeks" in the military. Fred Perry himself served in the first Gulf War (Gold Digger grew out of him drawing pics of girls for his fellow soldiers), and I've heard plenty of stories about soldiers being into Settlers of Catan and Halo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5