• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
For starters I think the title itself is wrong and not worded very well. It should be a bit more specific because as of now it gives the idea that anyone was big breasts (freakish or just normal big) is ruining anime. Hate to burst bubbles but it's not true. But that's just me being nit picky so whatever.

As for the topic itself.....who cares? If you don't like huge breasts don't watch shows with them in them. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to even dare try and go into any sort of feminine respect issue or morality. Simply put with that aside if they aren't something you like, like with anything else in anime, then don't watch them. It's quite simple. Or just try ignoring them. Despite what other people may fell on the subject I am of the mind if the story is good enough then secondary issues like that shouldn't be a problem. Focus on the story and not the size of one of the character's breasts. I guess many others can't do that. As also mentioned there are plenty of other normal-small-medium sized breasted women in anime beyond those with the gag breasts (which is what those really are, just comic gags). Plus, anime is not real, it's fiction. So in fiction most times characters sound or look more sexual because simply put sex sells. It's not about being realistic, it's about selling a product.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching the anime. But that's besides the point. If you've watched a couple of episodes you'll know what I mean. Anyways it was just topic for discussion. The reason I brought it up was because in general I like the plot of this, but it's hard not to be distracted by the massive "gag" breasts (as you so eloquently put it) because they are thrust, swung, thrown, and bounced at you _all the time_. I was kind of interested to see what the general consensus was on huge breasts in anime, too. You can hardly say "sex sells" when looking at those jugs... I mean seriously does anyone get turned on by those things?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
riccardo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
I don't particularly find large boobs distracting or upsetting, sometimes they can be pretty funny, actually (there is a character in Puni Puni Poemi that cracks me up!

The way I see it, there are clearly too many desperately lonley animators out there. Wink
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Focus on the story and not the size of one of the character's breasts.

I think you should watch Dragonaut episode 5 and than come back and say that again, it's a bit hard to focus on the story when a character like Garnet is moving around fighting and her tits are just about popping out of her costume.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/Dragonaut/Dragonaut%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2026.jpg (NSFW)

Between the horrendous breasts and ugly cg dragonaut just sucks.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Eh.. I wouldn't go that far. The cg is pretty lame but it's not so bad - the tit thing I have a big problem with, but apart from that I'm enjoying the anime. It's not like all its substance is crappy cg and stupid boobs, although episode 5 was... testing. If it gets worse though I'm just not going to bother.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The only exceptions being the totally unrealistic gross looking melons on the Eiken girls. That kind of stuff (the ones that are so massive they generate their own gravity field) is where I'd draw the line. Rolling Eyes

I only watched one episode of Eiken, but I remain convinced that the title is actually an English pun, i.e. all their backs are achin' Wink
please don't hurt me Wink

Sometimes it can be used for comic effect, as in Magic Users Club, but if that's all a series has going for it (Mouse?), then I feel my time is better spent elsewhere.

I gave up on Dragonaut after 2 episodes Neutral

I wouldn't say big breasts are ruining anime in general, but if that's all that the creators for these particular shows have to fall back on (heh) then maybe they're in the wrong business. Mindless fluff is okay from time to time, but you need more than a one trick pony to sustain a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
I agree to some extent. Stupidly large breasts can be annoying. Especially on characters where that look doesn't work (certain character from Arcana Heart instantly come to mind...although that isn't an anime). And overuse of fanservice is annoying too, like in Love Hina. (which I personally think is an excellent series otherwise...the manga I mean)

And I'm one of the 5 people that like Eiken. Well, maybe 'liked' is too strong a word. I thought it was amusing, and that it did what it set out to do.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Focus on the story and not the size of one of the character's breasts.

I think you should watch Dragonaut episode 5 and than come back and say that again, it's a bit hard to focus on the story when a character like Garnet is moving around fighting and her tits are just about popping out of her costume.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/Dragonaut/Dragonaut%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2026.jpg (NSFW)

Between the horrendous breasts and ugly cg dragonaut just sucks.

Hard for you maybe but not for others so don't expect everyone to think like you. I can move past issues like that and focus on a story and not secondary elements. That's just how I am and simply watching some silly show is not going to change that.

Plus, you've mentioned the huge boobs and the bad cg in your opinion but yet you've not said one word on the story. Maybe part of the reason you can't move past it with this particular show is because the plot itself sucks. I don't care about the graphics of a show, character designs, breast size, popularity or any other secondary elements. I simply care about the story. If the story is good boob size shouldn't effect you as the story has engrossed you.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
That's unfair. To say the story is the only thing ANYONE should care about is hardly a point.

So these reviews that talk about voices, music and animation are just worthless, right? Anime would be much better with only still shots and no voice over/music work. Captions only would be best.

Quote:
Hard for you maybe but not for others so don't expect everyone to think like you.
I think you could take your own advice.

First, and keep this on the down low, I like big breasts. I just do. While they are ridiculously large in those pictures, I've got no problems with em. However, I'm with the topic creator. I do think pure fan-service and these buxom babes can really hamper my overall enjoyment. It's hard to put into words. The best way to describe it is I think it cheapens the show. It's not totally bad in comedic works or obvious adult material, but when you want to watch an anime for different reasons it feels less than professional to have these literally staring you back in the face.(And the first time one winks Wink at me, I'm done)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
That's unfair. To say the story is the only thing ANYONE should care about is hardly a point.

So these reviews that talk about voices, music and animation are just worthless, right? Anime would be much better with only still shots and no voice over/music work. Captions only would be best.

Did I say the story was all "anyone" should care about? Did I type that? Did I say reviews were worthless or that the music and other aspects don't play a role at all? Sure doesn't look like it. Then I guess that's not what I said now is it? I said "I" simply care about the story first. I never even said other secondary factors don't play a part in what i think of a show but for me deciding if a show is worth it or not to simply watch is based solely on the story. Muic and animation quality for example will help determine if you like show A more then show B. But the point of watching either one should be based on the plot/story since that is why you're watching the show is it not? Sure is for me.

Vortextk wrote:
Quote:
Hard for you maybe but not for others so don't expect everyone to think like you.

I didn't say everyone should think like me or that my opinion was somehow the "right" one now did I?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
As for the topic itself.....who cares? If you don't like huge breasts don't watch shows with them in them. It's as simple as that.

Thats the whole point though. If an otherwise enjoyable show is ruined for you to the point where you don't watch it because of this then big breasts have ruined that anime for you. Undoubtably, if this ruins a show for you you shouldn't watch it. However, thats just a result of the problem, not a solution or reason why it isn't a problem.

psycho 101 wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:

I didn't say everyone should think like me or that my opinion was somehow the "right" one now did I?

Quote:
I can move past issues like that and focus on a story and not secondary elements.

That pretty strongly implies that people should be able to focus on whats important and ignore the less important stuff like this. Frankly, you're pushing your oppinion a lot more than he is here.

Skylark wrote:
I'm not talking massive but realistic, I'm talking so big it's just ridiculous. It's not fanservice, it's not erotic, it's distracting and annoying.

Yeah, this is exactly the problem as I see it. I generally don't mind fanservice that much. Its true, sex sells. I don't know where they get this idea though that huge, floppy, absurdly giant boobs are in any way sexy. If you're into that, go find yourself a fat chick. Yes, big boobs are nice. There's more to it than simply size though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
A familiar and old subject, but I see from the images on the previous page your concern about a series with potential being ruined. However big boobs in the history of my watching anime have not ruined a series for me at all. Big boobs don't ruin anime. It's how you use them Wink

I also added this series to my want to see list so I can see for myself how they are "bad" in this series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
As for the topic itself.....who cares? If you don't like huge breasts don't watch shows with them in them. It's as simple as that.

Thats the whole point though. If an otherwise enjoyable show is ruined for you to the point where you don't watch it because of this then big breasts have ruined that anime for you. Undoubtably, if this ruins a show for you you shouldn't watch it. However, thats just a result of the problem, not a solution or reason why it isn't a problem.

If the plot and story were that great to begin with then wouldn't you still watch the show anyway? I mean if this show just was freaking awesome and captivating then why would you say it's ruined over an issue like this? Why would you say the show sucks over an issue like this if the heart of the show was nothing but gold? If issues like this bother you then how would the show have been enjoyable to begin with?

ikillchicken wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I can move past issues like that and focus on a story and not secondary elements.

That pretty strongly implies that people should be able to focus on whats important and ignore the less important stuff like this. Frankly, you're pushing your oppinion a lot more than he is here.

It doesn't imply a single thing. It simply states what I do. Nothing more and nothing less. So don't try and twist around what I said. I stated quite clearly that's how I watch a show. Not how anyone else does nor how they should. So don't pretend I did.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Dragonaut too. The story's kind of interesting, but yeah those are huge melons. I just ignore them and try to focus on the story. The story's already complicated with those weird terms so I try to forget about the melons, or more accurately, I don't notice them at all. It's either because I'm a girl, or I've gotten used to deformed body proportions from watching a lot of anime.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Hard for you maybe but not for others so don't expect everyone to think like you. I can move past issues like that and focus on a story and not secondary elements. That's just how I am and simply watching some silly show is not going to change that.

Look I like anime women with big tits (especially with the recent surge of flat chested loli characters in the last 4-5? years) and I have no problem watching fan service heavy shows like Witchblade (same character designer) and Ikkitousen but seriously Dragonaut just crosses the line. Dragonauts gigantic boob cast is considered to be a complete joke by a lot of people from what I've read on here, AnimeOnDVD, Anime-Suki, Animenation and many other places and the sad thing is it had "some" potential.

Quote:
Plus, you've mentioned the huge boobs and the bad cg in your opinion but yet you've not said one word on the story. Maybe part of the reason you can't move past it with this particular show is because the plot itself sucks. I don't care about the graphics of a show, character designs, breast size, popularity or any other secondary elements. I simply care about the story. If the story is good boob size shouldn't effect you as the story has engrossed you.

No the CG is bad it's not an opinion it's a fact, you want to see an example of good cg this season by Gonzo look at Blue Drop, you want to see an example of great CG period you look at Production I.G's Ghost Hound. Dragonauts CG would be serviceable in the Vandread era, it's simply horrible by 2007-2008 standards.

Story is so-so and cliche with enough lol that's stupid moments in the first episode alone. I fingered Dragonaut as one of those "it's so bad I like it shows" after the first 2 eps but it's now dropped since it's now so bad it's no longer enjoyable. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on it but I'm juggling 22 series atm so I have no time for mediocrity.

As for boob size doesn't matter I suppose if an anime company adapted a novel that is well known and a critics favorite you wouldn't mind an inch if every female character suddenly jumped up 3-4 cup sizes? I sure hope whatever "play" Gonzo adapt next is a treasured classic and I hope the female cast have boobs bigger than their bodies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17