• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
♥Paprika♥

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irebun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This Anime/movie came out a while ago....Is it out on DVD yet?
I really wanna watch it... TT__TT;;

~Thanks.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Sony solicited the movie for R1 just this week; it'll be out in December. Some info:

Anime on DVD wrote:
Sony New Title Solicitations (12:59 PM EDT): Adding a pair of releases for the end of November, Sony Pictures Entertainment has sent out a slim look at what's in store for the latest Satoshi Kon movie:

Paprika - N/A minutes - $38.96 - 11/27/2007 Blu-Ray
Paprika - N/A minutes - $26.96 - 11/27/2007 DVD
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN is saying may 25th this year for the USA dvd..I suppose that's wrong as both rightstuf and amazon list it coming out November 27th of this year.

*Edit* Seconds...SECONDS before me. Crying or Very sad
Irebun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks a lot. Both of you. ^__^;;

x3

I cant wait to get it. ^^;;
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a decent enough thread to revive now that the DVD's out and that other 'poll' thread's been locked.

My copy's in the mail now from Amazon, so probably won't be in my hands for another couple of days. Can't wait to share it with more friends who missed the theatrical release.
Aleaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie in the us and absolutely fell in love with it. Everything about it was amazing, especially the music.

There is no doubt that I am getting my own copy of it since it came out today, but does anyone know if there is a special edition copy?

I haven't found any yet, but that would be absolutely thrilling.
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum! I gotta say that's a great reason for joining ....
Irebun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh......my old topic.. ;D
----
Yeah, im really excited about watching it!
And...a couple of days ago my Mom and I went and ordered some Anime from Rightstuf (She doesnt know how to work the website) @__@
...So i got to pick everything out. ;D
...and i ended up snagging Paprika!
(Too bad i wont be able to watch it until after X-mas) Mad
----
P.S: I am totally in love with the Paprika theme song... (byakkoya no musume).. Its sooo catchy.
DClark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
I bought the DVD today and liked it a lot. While I don't think it's quite as good as Millennium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers (two movies that I thought were excellent), it's still a very good movie. Those of you with PS3s might want to try out the Blu-Ray version, as it's a very 'visual' movie; I have a feeling that the scenes will really pop when viewed in HD. I really enjoyed the music and visuals of the movie, but the plot and storyline were only average to above average, and the both the sub and dub voices were average to above average. I also thought the dub script sometimes strayed a bit from the original script.

The only criticism I have of the visuals is that they tried to account for overscan, giving the picture small black bars on either side of the screen. I would have rather they not tried to compensate for any overscan. It's not Satoshi Kon's best work (I think that goes to Millennium Actress, followed closely by Tokyo Godfathers), but it's about on par with Perfect Blue, which is a statement the vast majority of anime movies can't make.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
I still can't figure out what people see in 'Millennium Actress.' I saw it on the big screen. Then, several years later, after seeing (and enjoying far more) 'Paprika,' I decided it might be worth giving 'Millennium Actress' another shot, so I rented it. And it was still just as dead a movie as the first time. It's just too riddled with melancholy to keep me even half-awake.
Rustem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as I like Tokyo Godfathers or Paranoia Agent. It just wasnt as interesting or entertaining as the other two.

I liked that they used scans of real butterflies though, and the sphinx scene was great. Wonderful visuals.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Bought Paprika a couple days ago, haven't watched it yet. I did catch it durring it's limited theatrical run though where I really liked it. Looking at my copy just now, it looks like this version has an English dub on the disc which is good considering I couldn't keep up with the subs when I watched it.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I couldn't keep up with the subs when I watched it.

Yet ironically now you can, as DVDs are pause-able and slow-able. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I also received the DVD a couple days ago, and I just got done watching it. And all I can say at this point is wow!!! What a trip. High quality anime makes me happy. Very Happy

I plan to write more about this later, as I have some work to do(plus I am still in shock and absorption mode). But my advice to anyone who hasn't picked this up yet is to go out right now and buy it. It is worth it. Wow!

Note: the extras on the DVD are very very interesting if that makes any difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I couldn't keep up with the subs when I watched it.

Yet ironically now you can, as DVDs are pause-able and slow-able. Wink

Having to constantly pause or stop it would probably make the movie less enjoyable. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2