• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA President Responds to 'Open Letter'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Bandai's perception of US anime fandom as an "extreme niche market" is complete and utter bullcrap. Not only are they completely glossing over the significance of casual anime fans, but they are completely misreading the priorities of even the "hardcore". I, for one, enjoy English dubs (for the most part) and do NOT have steep pockets. I like to buy DVDs, but I expect a proper balance between price and quality. I would have bought "Gunbuster" in an instant if they had at least taken the courtesy of providing an English dub. See my post on the blog as "ikari911".
Indeed I am the same, but this is not the problem in question with this letter. the problem is with first released new titles, and series that become available on fansub sites within days if not hours after they are either broadcast, or the DVD hit the Japanese shelves. Getting the product subbed out first is what most of the hardcore want to see and will go to any length to achieve it, and that is the process that they, the Japanese, need to get a grip with and make that work for them rather than against which means basically doing the exact same thing, but either as a pay-per view, or heavily ad sponsored output, like Vuze has just done. Dubs will always be something that comes out later simply because of the allocation and logistics of VA's. That doesn't bother me as I'm not so impatient as the the young fans who are use to everything given to them now. Not in my household . I'm always chanting the mantra "all good things to those who wait".
enjin2000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid that they have merely responded to the letter so that they would not evoke anthipathy of U.S. anime fans against the companies. How many readers comprehend that the circumstances would not be better unless fansubs are eliminated. Anyway, many anime fans have viewed _Gren Laggan_ already long before the free preview?

焼け石に水...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Now the guy's trying to compare his stuff to that of Josh Groban. Rolling Eyes
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
Bandai's perception of US anime fandom as an "extreme niche market" is complete and utter bullcrap. Not only are they completely glossing over the significance of casual anime fans, but they are completely misreading the priorities of even the "hardcore". I, for one, enjoy English dubs (for the most part) and do NOT have steep pockets. I like to buy DVDs, but I expect a proper balance between price and quality. I would have bought "Gunbuster" in an instant if they had at least taken the courtesy of providing an English dub. See my post on the blog as "ikari911".
Indeed I am the same, but this is not the problem in question with this letter. the problem is with first released new titles, and series that become available on fansub sites within days if not hours after they are either broadcast, or the DVD hit the Japanese shelves. Getting the product subbed out first is what most of the hardcore want to see and will go to any length to achieve it, and that is the process that they, the Japanese, need to get a grip with and make that work for them rather than against which means basically doing the exact same thing, but either as a pay-per view, or heavily ad sponsored output, like Vuze has just done. Dubs will always be something that comes out later simply because of the allocation and logistics of VA's. That doesn't bother me as I'm not so impatient as the the young fans who are use to everything given to them now. Not in my household . I'm always chanting the mantra "all good things to those who wait".

Times have changed.Everyone here can lament for the old days but nothing will change.If anything they will probably do something stupid out of desperation,taking away more of our privacies, just to stop people from sharing.I too miss the old days of getting ripped off by brand name companies but that **** can't last forever.No matter how much you want to side with the select brand name.You are reaching for an answer that doesn't exist.

You may think I'm siding with the Fansubbers,screw that.I'm ultra harcore hikikomori.I'm not proud of being a social outcast,Anime is my passion.I really love boxart and the boxsets.I bought all the Ranma 1/2 boxsets for $119 a piece,new.Now look at them $49 a piece,in thin packs.I will have to buy them all again.Why?I'm a packaging whore.I dare you to buy Najica,there is a surprise inside.

People have fansubbed since the early eighties.Anyone can see it's more wide spread now.Now with digital technology,there are limitless possibilities.That's obviously what pisses off these dinosaurs.The capability of putting a whole series on a few discs rather than 25 DVD's.They got to step up or get with it or get left behind.

It sounds to me like they are concerned about fansubs,not serious.
They need to take a look at bidding sites like E-bay.That is live Piracy.No one takes Piracy serious when crap like this is available.It makes all of our discussions here a joke.Fansubs or Piracy?Do you believe they are the same?You better understand that when you borrow anything from anyone,watch said product and give it back,you just stole from that company.Because you now,are a loss of sale.This is the mindset being created.I have seen a ton of T.V. programs,and will never buy them on DVD.Am I stealing?There is no level minded answer.

They could use a better format,Japan needs to learn to code their programs.A radical code form to block DVR's.It can be done but it seems to me,they don't really care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4