• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime on Adult Swim New Years Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Boohoo. I’m sorry, but if I’m stuck at home watching TV I’d rather watch something which is gonna make me laugh my ass off then a rerun I’ve seen a hundred times before.
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:35 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
I can also tell you voice talent in the US is given much lower priority in terms of budget than in Japan unless you're Dreamworks or Disney Sad

Since when does highly-paid = quality? Beyond that, I find it hard to believe that Japanese voice actors are any richer than their American counterparts. It's just that in the US the animation industry has less of a hardcore fanbase (although it certainly exists) than the Japanese, so there's less glamour involved. However, until I see numbers I'm going to have a difficult time believing that there's any significant difference between the pay that the average, non-extremely-famous VA series regulars receive in the US and Japan.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:40 pm Reply with quote
By did this get OT. Razz Yeah, a couple of hours of comedy and . . . Confused soda drinking. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
eva05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:33 am Reply with quote
OK, so I wenty back and looked at my former posts, trying to figure out at what point I said that people who like Dubs suck, because that's apparently what most folks here are responding to. I can't find it. I say "us introverted die hard otaku types", which in my mind is obviously a self-mocking statement, dislike them but in no way does that say that dubs suck (even though I do feel that way ^_-)

Emerje wrote:

So really, Transformers and Thundercats are prime examples of everything you're against. How ironic. I thought you knew all this stuff, I guess your Japanese director buddies forgot to mention that over dinner.

How is the Transformers movie or Thundercats sries against what I'm saying? They were conceived of/written in English and sound best in English? I was just commenting on the quality of voice acting. Sorry if my opinion causes you to break out in hives. Then again since you imply that my friends in the anime industry don't exist...I guess my opinion shouldn't matter to you anyways and you should just get on with your life Anime smile

Emerje wrote:

Let's see, aside from Evangelion and Dragonball, everything you listed above was either a kids show (Pokemon, you can do better than that can't you?) and no one really cares (or shouldn't care) either way, or a show from the 80's which is an example of the practices THEN not NOW. As for Eva, it's the Japanese TV version, so really the editing isn't our doing. ADV is expected to release the fully uncut version soon as well. As for DB, poor example, I can walk into any video store and buy a DVD that says UNCUT right on the cover.

Cool, cool. So I'm a elitist but everything I care about people shouldn't care about. Ranma uber alles dude. As for Eva, I'm not talking about the LD alternate episodes for eps 20-24 and if you don't know what I'm talking about you've obviously never seen the original series and should clearly not be commenting on the subject.

As for Dragon Ball, I went to Amazon to search. I haven't looked for Dragon Ball DVDs domestically in a while so you might well be correct, but I couldn't find them...then again none of them had uncut in the item description title and after clicking on like 20 or 30 of the 120 items Amazon had I gave up :\

Emerje wrote:

As for altering the story or dialoge slightly, who cares?

Me. I do. I thought I amde this clear. If you don't mind having your art altered for your market, well that's your business. To me this is art first and product second. I would be just as annoyed if I got a translated book with a bunch of humor, dialogue adjusted for my region...what if Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood had the main character tell the story in a different tone than the original?! It would ruin it! Thankfully Birnbaum nailed it on the head Anime smile

Emerje wrote:

Show me where Chan or San is in the English dictionary. If you translate something you translate everything. I wouldn't call a suprior in english San, I would call him Mr. If anything I'd say the poor writing in Perfect Blue would be that they left 'Chan' in, not that they took it out.

Actually that was my point entirely Anime smile;

Sorry if I screwed the pooch on my delivery.

Emerje wrote:

Ocean Group is seen by many as the bottom of the barrel when it comes ot english voice acting because they work for cheap and without actors guild contracts, yet they're also in high demand and often pump out some of the best voice work.
Emerje

Never heard of them, then again I don't keep up with American voice acting groups. What have they done?

Syker 07 wrote:

Sorry, don't buy it. An extremely vague statement with little substance, it sounds like an "oh yeah?" comeback. No disrespect, but I work with insurance companies, their adjusters, homeowners and contractors everyday, and have for several years. I've got a very good BS detector.

OK, so I'm a liar again. Cool.

Syker 07 wrote:

While you're entitled to your opinion, there's no need to cop the extremely annoying elitist attitude.

I'm just responding to what has turned into bitter personal attacks here...you know like being called a liar Razz

Syker 07 wrote:

These forums are generally very friendly and helpful, and there are some very opinonated people posting here, but I don't think I've seen a single one of them take it to an extreme like you have. You like subs, good for you, enjoy them. I like dubs, and I will enjoy them. Let's not attack each other's preferences in viewing anime, a hobby that everyone here seems to adore very much.

Again at what point to ever say people who like Dubs suck?!!

I just don't like them, generally speaking. Note "generally speaking" because I have seen some done well. I'm posting in about a dozen threads here at the moment. Several have very lively debates but this is the only one that I am being attacked on a personal level.

I realize we've gone way off topic here so I'm going to make this my last post to this thread in the hope that it defuses this situation. Quite frankly I don't care if you guys believe me, agree with me, love me or hate me.

I know I love anime to the core of my heart. Hell I love art, that's why I'm in the field making it. It's been a part of my life since I was 4 or 5. I know what I like, why I like it and have quite a few insights into the workings of the anime industry. Hell I even write for Animerica on occasion, actually I just had an interview with Satoshi Kon last month! I give and give to the art with everything I have. What have you done?

j
Kidotai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Syker 07"]eva05 wrote
Quote:
These forums are generally very friendly and helpful, and there are some very opinonated people posting here, but I don't think I've seen a single one of them take it to an extreme like you have.

*snip*

Syker Seven, apologizes if anyone was offended.

"Friendly and Helpful." Pffft, in some circumstances.... Rolling Eyes
demon_swordsman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:12 pm Reply with quote
*kills all of CN*I have nothing better to do on new years eve CN thinks I got money.Must watch anime*says that over and over again*
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:48 pm Reply with quote
You know what, I'm willing to drop everything if I can just answer this one quote...

eva05 wrote:
OK, so I wenty back and looked at my former posts, trying to figure out at what point I said that people who like Dubs suck, because that's apparently what most folks here are responding to. I can't find it.

You're second post:

Quote:
I hate "sell out" trendy anime fans

"sell out" acording to you being dub fans. So you didn't actually say "suck", hate is a stronger word anyway. You also constantly preach about "true fans", basicly saying that if we aren't like you and you're friends then the rest of us aren't "true fans". Major insult there buddy.

OK, next up, two questions:

Quote:
Hell I even write for Animerica on occasion, actually I just had an interview with Satoshi Kon last month! I give and give to the art with everything I have.

OK, first off, since you're now a published writer you should have no problem giving your real name right? Hell, I'll go first and I don't have anything to brag about, Jeremy Crocker.
Now the second part, how does wirting about anime "give to the art"? Seems like what you're doing is informing people, but are you actually improving anything by doing so? Sure you can give all you want, but is your writing actually making anime better? You saying you give to the art is like CNN saying they make the news. You're just telling people what's up, but anime is going to happen with or without.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:11 am Reply with quote
Alright, this is way off topic and devolving into a flame war. Locked, I say.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3