• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Heroic Legend of Arslan (Part 1)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
For me, the big surprise of Arslan was Steven Pacey. He's perhaps best known for his role in a cult-favorite '70s British sci-fi series called Blake's 7, which I watched on PBS all the time when I was little. This wasn't as shocking as finding out that Manga UK regular Denica Fairman was Eva Braun in a sitcom about Hitler, but I still felt like a massive nerd for recognizing Pacey as Daryoon.

Too bad it's his only anime role, according to his site. If he'd stuck with Manga UK, he could've been in such classics as Mad Bull 34 and Violence Jack.
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
*points at her avatar* Arslan Senki probably ties with Please Save My Earth and Mahou Tsukai Tai! for being my favorite OAV of all time. It's just that good. Lack of a conclusion... means NOTHING! It's so good it doesn't matter.

I personally dislike the British voice actors. I don't mind them being British (since Hollywood has always taught us that ancient civilizations spoke with a British accent. ^^)... but I didn't like most of the acting. Of course, they seemed like sheer brilliance when compared to the voice acting in Arslan: Age of Heroes... which quite possibly had the WORST voice acting I've ever heard in an anime.

Now, if only the novels would get translated! *pokes Tokyopop* You gave me Twelve Kingdoms, now give me Arslan!!!
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
For me, the big surprise of Arslan was Steven Pacey. He's perhaps best known for his role in a cult-favorite '70s British sci-fi series called Blake's 7, which I watched on PBS all the time when I was little. This wasn't as shocking as finding out that Manga UK regular Denica Fairman was Eva Braun in a sitcom about Hitler, but I still felt like a massive nerd for recognizing Pacey as Daryoon.

Too bad it's his only anime role, according to his site. If he'd stuck with Manga UK, he could've been in such classics as Mad Bull 34 and Violence Jack.

My understanding is that an actor named Ben Fairman was the english voice Arslan for the first 4 OAVs. Ben Fairman was also the lead role in Venus Wars, another good anime, and Subaru in CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon. He played the roles of all 3 very well, I think.
exedore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
This wasn't as shocking as finding out that Manga UK regular Denica Fairman was Eva Braun in a sitcom about Hitler

For what it's worth, I have a copy (somewhere) of the infamous "Heil Honey I'm Home" pilot. I think I got through about 10 minutes before I had to turn it off. It's not that I was offended by the idea of a Hitler sitcom, but rather the sheer inanity - the closest thing I can think of is Matt Stone and Trey Parker's short lived That's My Bush which is the same concept, just with W instead of Hitler.

And Violence Jack was awesome. Too bad the BBFC forced cuts...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
For me, the big surprise of Arslan was Steven Pacey. He's perhaps best known for his role in a cult-favorite '70s British sci-fi series called Blake's 7, which I watched on PBS all the time when I was little.

My goodness that is so cool. I missed that since I watched it with the subs, but will need to watch it again with the Tarrant version this time. I just marathoned all four Blake's Seven seasons a year ago with a friend (the fourth season finally was released on DVD last year) complete with CG generated menus and tons of extras. What a great heads up.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember the British dubbing. Very Happy

Though I still don't know what happens to the Queen....
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
Actually there's a Japanese R2 DVD of ARSLAN SENKI. There was a limited box set with the 2 movies and 4 OVAs, as well as a set of 4 single discs which included the same content but had a basic keepcase package. They likely aren't remastered (non-anamorphic widescreen on the 2 movies), but they'd lack those NTSC->PAL->NTSC horrors at the very least.

Funny you'd post this now. I literally just rented the first disc (and Lodoss, incidentally) from RentAnime, but probably won't be able to watch them 'till I get back after the holidays... curses, getting me all excited when I don't have the time. Razz
Akyho
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I have done my own comparison of the sub and the dub, i originally watched it in dub when i was 5 back in 94, so manga entertainment first founded in london uk in 91 so this was one of there earlier dubs they found their feet, They did such a great job.

Now some things that will show the difference in the sub and dub with explaining the more poetic tone, such as Narsus/Narcasse in the dub says along the lines of "look at what i am saying. i am sorry but the drink seems to have gone to my head, if you would excuse me but my bed is calling me i bid you good night,"

While the sub said somthing like "I shall now be going to bed."

the next scene has enemy soldiers at the door and Elam answerer's it saying "i am sorry you cant come in the master is sleeping now! wha! hey you cant come in master narsus is sleeping!!" the sub said "You cant come in, AH!"

the dub was very very poetic, the sub got the point across just the dub added so much, the things Geive/Gaibu says are brilliant.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
(since Hollywood has always taught us that ancient civilizations spoke with a British accent. ^^)

Same thing here... In Spanish translations of books from other cultures besides Hispanoamerican ones (like Japanese, French, German or fantasy-based like Narnia or The Lord of the Rings) is considered a norm that the characters MUST speak European Spanish and is considered VERY RUDE that they should speak Latin American Spanish (like the one used in Mexico or other countries from Latin America) although sometimes this norm is also applied to modern books in a very annoying way for many Latin American book readers.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. This is one of the titles I picked-up in that mad rush at the CMP booth at NYAF. Maybe they will still have copies for other cons and you can pick up a new one. It's the red covered one but I can't beat the price.
wizard55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
I actually found Manga's VHS releases of parts 1 and 2 at my local Goodwill a year or two ago and finally got around to watching them. Let me say part 1 was amazing! I loved it. Part 2 was very good as well but not as good as part 1.

I love the british voices and the characters were just so interesting and the animation is what really makes me love this movie. My friends could never understand what I like about this earlier 90's animation in anime.

If their are none of the manga's version of these on DVD then I will have to take good care of my VHS copies. Anime smile
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed Batman in one of the stills?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Has anyone noticed Batman in one of the stills?

If you could post a screencap....
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
I meant in one of the stills in the BT review, really looks like Batman, though it isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2