• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica to Get English BDs Starting February 14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
@Maidenoftheredhand
I apologize if it appears that I was "shouting."

I know what you mean with those prices. The thing is with Aniplex of America and their prices, this is as cheap as it is going to get.

* This is not confirmed but this is what I think could happen. *
Hopefully, this might be listed at the Bandai Entertainment Store at some point. All the other Aniplex of America titles are there so it stands to reason that Madoka will be there as well. The BE Store has a rewards program where every $20 you spend, you get $1 off your next purchase. But they will probably have it at the TRSI pricing as well. In a way, you are getting it for less (eventually).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that I'm going to drop $250 on a single series in 2011. Especially one that's only 12 episodes long. In the end, though, I'll probably end up buying the Limited Editions. Simply because it's Madoka.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I would love the Limited Edition ones... but there is no way I can justify 70+ dollars on that. It is seriously ridiculous. If it were the entire series I could see myself considering it, but still. Even 40 for the standard is just absurd.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Looking at this, I think this may be one of the very best-case scenarios for an American release.... as much as my debit card is gonna hurt for this.

See, one of the things that I've observed (or assumed from afar, anyway; I don't buy new anime series frequently at all, so maybe I'm speaking out of bounds here) is that nowadays, new 12-24 episode anime series tend to just... suddenly appear on the market and then promptly disappear with little fanfare. Quite obviously, the market and the mindset of the consumer isn't the same as it was in the early 2000s; in this era, most of us want our stuff as efficient, compact, and cheap-to-buy as possible. And while this promotes the health of our wallets, I'm not so sure if it does particularly well for a series' visibility or impact on the whole anime "scene." So to see something that I find truly special-- something so special that it essentially resurrected my own interest in anime overall-- get this multi-part release spread over a few months is kind of refreshing. Plus, with it not only being released in individual pieces like this, but also in both BD and DVD formats, there are more potential consumers-- those that may feel more comfortable "trying out" the series (or *gasp* blind-buying) and those that don't have a blu-ray player of any sort.

It is also refreshing to see a decent amount of extras released with a new anime, even if this may be par for the course for Aniplex USA, now. While they're not everything from the Japanese BDs (I don't see any mention of the staff/seiyuu commentaries...), they're still more than I was expecting-- not only will there be three OSTs and the 24 page booklets (which I imagine will be translated & compiled versions of the booklets that were released with the Japanese BDs) with the limited editions, but also posters, postcards, and collectors' boxes. (which should feature new official art, if I'm not mistaken, right?)

My only question about this now is... will there be a limit as to how many pre-orders Aniplex USA swill be able to take for the limited editions? I have this nagging feeling that there are going to be a ridiculous amount of pre-orderers coming out of the shed, causing Rightstuf to crash and/or all possible pre-orders being filled within a day or two. Since the first volume will come out in February, there shouldn't be such an arbitrary limit just yet, right...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh! February 14th is my Birthday! ; w ;

(Granted they never ever get DVD's in Best Buy "on time"...I remember I had to wait a few months just to get my hands on volume 1 of Hetalia's first season)

That limited edition is extremely tempting though...with all of that extra stuff, it would certainly be worth it, but at the same time the characters themselves were kind of a let-down for me, except towards the end when we got to see more of Homura's back story.

No offense to anyone who loves the series, just that I never got a chance to watch it 'til it was already done airing, so the characters made me experience hype-backlash Anime dazed (Everything else, though, went above and beyond my expectations, which were already pretty high!)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
My moneys, let me give them to you.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I am a fool, but I want the LE. I want it SO BAD! At least there is a good long time before it comes out so I can put away some money for it... Smile Somehow or another, that LE WILL BE MINE!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'll probably end up just getting the non-LE DVDs. I'm not part of the "gimme BDs or gimme nothing" crowd and, for me, the diff isn't worth $30.

He says now.
lilly_938

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
No announcement of my favorite character Homura so I'm still holding out hope for Michell Ruff to be dubbing Homura-chan!
^ This, since I doubt Aniplex would have the whole main cast voiced by new VAs.

I already expected Aniplex to take all my money for this, so the price isn't really that much of an issue. I'll be pre-ordering the LE's on Monday (Yuki Kajiura's OSTs cemented this).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
so look like really pushing the newer va on it & yet casting seem indeed we're looking at future generation of english va.

cabanos give already azusa & squid girl yet now madoka yea indeed another breakout english va on the rise.
lee as kyubey oh my yea it yubel all over again anyone remember she did big bad of gx s3 as yubel yea feel vibes on it.
williams still up & coming give only other known character is female with wacky squid heads design & shy/

hmm so i guess when rest of cast is reveal more newer va on it?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little concerned by their use of the word "box." Specifically, for every LE, in the same fashion, but none of the volumes call it a season/series box or say there is room for the other volumes. Probably because they want you to grab all 3 LEs, and an over-box could get excessively huge in that case. Maybe somebody could explain to them how it works?

BD+Dub+Box pushes all of my buttons, no way I would blind buy LEs at those prices though, but going from "Box" to "box" would pretty much kill it.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the boxes, I am assuming it'll be a box with 2 cases, 1 for the BD and 1 for the DVD. Not sure where the CDs will be going. And for those complaining about the splitting up of the CDs, this was done for the Japanese releases as well.

I'll be double-dipping on the LEs. I was one of those people crazy enough to buy all the Japanese Blu-Rays haha..
Kanon-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I am really excited about this and I can't wait until Valentine's Day! I will definitely be pre-ordering all three of the Limited Edition Combo Box Sets. I really liked the K-On dub and I think that Christine Marie Cabanos would make a good Madoka and that Cassandra Lee would make a good Kyubey.

According to the Madoka Magica USA website each of the Combo Box Sets will come in an "Exclusive Collector's box" and have "2 cases with double-sided covers."

I have been waiting for Aniplex USA to announce the release dates for Madoka Magica and I am really happy that they finally announced them. I was hoping that Aniplex USA would make this announcement at their Anime Weekend Atlanta panel but they didn't make any announcements there. However, The Aniplex Guy did say during his panel that Aniplex USA couldn't release Madoka Magica as a complete series box set because Japan doesn't even have one.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the show (because I don't think it was ever legally streamed anywhere, right?), but the crazy amount of praise it gets made me want to get this. But I'm surprised it's going to be released in 3 parts, I was hoping it would just be released as one set. Not sure what my stance is on this yet.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
I suppose I should give up any hope of getting this at a reasonable price any time soon since it's a bandai title (I have the feeling they are excellent at making their releases profitable), but much as I may want to, I can't justify it. This is mostly a "rich-fan's-first" release, but I hope I don't have to wait more than a year or so for the (if it happens) "normal" release. I wouldn't put it past them to wait 4-5 years before doing another release, especially since it's only recently that stuff has been getting licensed and release this quickly. I wonder how this compares on a $/minute basis with Garden of Sinners? Oh well, this just gives me time to work on the ever-persistent backlog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5