• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Madoka Magica, Soul Eater Not, Yuki-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I trust Yen soooo much more than I ever did Tokyopop, so I'll definitely be double-dipping for all the Alice in the Country of Hearts omnibuses, not just the last one~ Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Interested in Soul Eater Not (although it depends how fanservicey it is) and I think I will go ahead and pick up the Alice in the Country of Hearts omnibuses, which I haven't read yet, but the level of fans' disappointment that TP didn't finish it, made me curious to read it. Way to go Yen Press!

From the few chapters I read of Soul Eater Not, it wasn't too high on the fanservice, which is semi-surprising considering the main characters are all female.

In a way, it feels a bit more slice-of-life than the original considering it mostly deals with what goes on in the school in everyday life. It sort of reminds me of the Railgun anime.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Good news for Alice fans. Yen Press is a much better publisher than Tokyopop could ever dream of being, so their release will undoubtedly be of higher quality both physically and translation-wise.

Madoka is awful, but it's nice to see that Yen Press, unlike so many other publishers, is actually trying to stay current with their releases. Given its popularity, I at least hope that it's profitable for them.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Until Death Do Us Part. YEEEEES!!!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I kept eyeing Alice in the Country of Hearts everytime I saw it in stores that sold more mainstream manga titles... Now that Yen is omnibusing it, I may give it a go! Plus the sequel's been licensed, so that's pretty awesome too if I end up liking it!

Alice relicensed, sequel licensed, Sailor Moon doing well... It's a great day for manga fans!
Tsuruya-San

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
All are definite buys for me Very Happy I love the Soul Eater Not manga, and I have been wanting to read the rest Alice in the country of the hearts since reading the first volume from the library.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
More Soul Eater and Yuki but way didn't they get Maid-sama
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Soul Eater Not!, and I trust the mangaka not to be too fanservice-y. Might pick up Disappearance of Yuki if it's any good, I've been collecting the Haruhi light novels so I do like the little verse.

As for Alice in the Country of Hearts, never really gave it a try before, but I'm happy for the fans. Want to know what are the other titles Yen is in talks about. Also, is this the first of the Tokyopop titles that expired with the company to be rescued?

And omnibuses are always nice. (Don't really see any reason to release six as a single though. You don't have to double-dip, just grab the last one with five and six.)

So in conclusion: Yay!
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I've read a wee bit of Soul Eater Not! (Lots of Yuri subtext Anime hyper But it's kinda nostalgic what with the friendship stuff..)

I haven't read Alice in the Country of Hearts, but when I heard that it was just 1 volume a way from completion when TP shut down, my heart went out to all of the fans Sad It kind of makes me want to check it out, since I like reading different incarnations of Alice in Wonderland. (Still haven't read Pandora Hearts...but maybe neither of those series have anything to do with that "Alice"?)
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes me finishing HnKnA. I refuse to double-dip, and if they're not going to release a solo volume 6, I'll have to find scanlations to finish the series.

I hate omnibus, and if it weren't for the fact that I'm supporting Uraboku in it's only release form, I wouldn't buy them at all.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
I trust Yen soooo much more than I ever did Tokyopop, so I'll definitely be double-dipping for all the Alice in the Country of Hearts omnibuses, not just the last one~ Very Happy

I love Yen Press soo much but I don't know if I want to double dip for omnibuses >.< Although it seems like I don't really get a choice, from what I've read it doesn't seem like the last volume will be released separately?

Ah. I suppose if I buy the omnibuses I can just donate my volumes 1-5 to the library or something...they definitely need a wider range -_- But I don't like omnibuses *sigh* They are not easy to read...

I think I'll wait for reviews on the Madoka manga before deciding if I'll purchase that particular series or not.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
But I don't like omnibuses *sigh* They are not easy to read...

Usually that is my complaint as well, I definitely do not like the 3 vol/1 omnibuses, like Viz Big. They are too unwieldy.

But 2 vol./1, which is what this is doing, isn't bad at all. Cross Game is released like this, and it's actually pretty nice. More manga for your money. And it's not gigantic; they're the same size height-wise as a regular single manga. So I'm hoping it will be more like Cross Game and not the Viz Big editions.

Dessa wrote:
Well, there goes me finishing HnKnA. I refuse to double-dip, and if they're not going to release a solo volume 6, I'll have to find scanlations to finish the series.

Or you could sell/donate v. 5 and then pick up v. 5/6 for maybe, what, a couple dollars more?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm interested in buying Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater Not!, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan published by Yen Press.

So, I'll have to stop reading The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 'scan-lated' version and I've already read Puella Magi Madoka Magica 'scan-lated' version. I have yet to read Soul Eater Not!, so it's good news for Yen Press.
Kanon-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that someone would license the Madoka Magica manga and I am really happy that Yen Press picked it up. I love Yen Press and I will definitely be buying the Madoka Magica manga when they release it.

This has been a great day for Madoka Magica news. First Aniplex USA announced that they will be releasing Limited Edition Combo Box Sets for the anime and now Yen Press has announced that they licensed the manga. I am really excited and I am really looking forward to adding both the Madoka Magica anime and the manga to my collection.
DifferentD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Something rescued from the abyss of Tokyopop! I realize some people will still be unhappy if there is no single volume 6 release but hey at least you'll have the option of getting a physical/legal copy of vol 6 in some form at all! ^^ Personally.. I'm really excited about the re-release.. by the time I started buying more manga and wanted to buy Alice I already knew that Tokyopop wouldn't be finishing it so I didn't buy any of it. I will definitely be buying Yen Press' version!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3