• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niconico Streams Shana III, Future Diary, Haganai, C3, Maken-Ki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

As far as the Japanese production side goes, Familiar of Zero isn't a Geneon series to begin with, though. The Japanese Wikipedia entry lists the members of the production committee, and Geneon isn't on it (rather, it's Media Factory, Shochiku, and Genco)

As it was a Geneon USA license, I had made the error of assuming that it was handled by Geneon in Japan, but indeed you are correct.

That is actually good news, as it likely improves the chances of a simulcast (depending on who handles international licensing).

The Coffee God wrote:

Laughing
Do you just really like the idea of selective memory or do you really not pay attention much to what gets licensed and simulcasted?

High School of the Dead is a GU series.
Sentai/TAN also simulcasted it.

I plead guilty to not having complete eidetic and encyclopedic memory of everything that gets licensed and simulcast. Apparently you suffer from the same affliction, as you did not catch the more fundamental mistake I made, which is that ZnT actually isn't a Geneon Universal series.

Normally I would have appended a "To the best of my knowledge" before that, since I didn't go through and check every simulcast licensed (unlike studios and networks, I don't know of a quick and ready source for checking the licensing party for every anime in the past few years). Even if I had access to such a source, it would not have shown Geneon as the licensing party for the simulcast, and the licensing party is what was material to my assertion.

If you want points for a technical victory, no problem...they are yours.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

If you want points for a technical victory, no problem...they are yours.

I don't really need the points at this time, as I have accumulated plenty over the years for future uses, thanks for offering me some of yours though.
Though I do suggest, that you should probably avoid using absolutes in the future, as this is the second one in the past couple weeks that has come back to bite you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This is another reason I don't like streams. How can they stream Shana III when no one has released Shana II yet, or are they assuming most have seen the fansubs? Rolling Eyes
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is another reason I don't like streams. How can they stream Shana III when no one has released Shana II yet, or are they assuming most have seen the fansubs? Rolling Eyes

They probably do assume most (who would be interested in the series) have. After all, it was a series that came out in the Fall 2007, before there was much at all in the way of legal streaming (and no legal simulcasts, as I recall). I remember watching lo-res 3 part versions of those episodes on YouTube, but I don't touch fansubs of airing series now, regardless of license status.

Still, it would be nice if Funimation would post subs of the second series to their site and/or NicoNico.com, but even if they have had the materials long enough to prepare subtitled episodes, I would be hesitant to bet they would post them.

That said, NicoNico.com still has not announced a start date for streaming the third and final series, so perhaps Funimation will hand us a pleasant surprise by then.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
My question is: Where are Shana III and Haganai? Why haven't they been announced at NicoNico if they are going to be "simulcast"? They started already, shouldn't they be catching up on them if they are going to show them? Please!?!?
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
[double post...]

Last edited by zensunni on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

They probably do assume most (who would be interested in the series) have. After all, it was a series that came out in the Fall 2007, before there was much at all in the way of legal streaming (and no legal simulcasts, as I recall). I remember watching lo-res 3 part versions of those episodes on YouTube, but I don't touch fansubs of airing series now, regardless of license status.

Still, it would be nice if Funimation would post subs of the second series to their site and/or NicoNico.com, but even if they have had the materials long enough to prepare subtitled episodes, I would be hesitant to bet they would post them.

That said, NicoNico.com still has not announced a start date for streaming the third and final series, so perhaps Funimation will hand us a pleasant surprise by then.
I certainly hope so, else I'm not going to think it's very FUNi if my reward for not watching fansubs is FUNi implying I should have. Rolling Eyes
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
My question is: Where are Shana III and Haganai? Why haven't they been announced at NicoNico if they are going to be "simulcast"? They started already, shouldn't they be catching up on them if they are going to show them? Please!?!?

Personally, I would also feel better if they were visible on the site, but that may only mean there are details yet to be hammered out. They may not wish to list series that would have "TBA" as the start date.

In 3 days, we will see how they will handle Maken-Ki, C3, and Future Diary, which will be 11-19 days behind their premiere date. Whether they post more than a single episode of each should indicate whether they will attempt to catch up on late to start series.

I have speculated elsewhere that perhaps the reason they are premiering all 3 non-Funimation series on the same day is because that will also be the date the site emerges from beta. Given the load premiering 3 series on the same date would place on their servers, and that none of these 3 series premiered in Japan on the same date, I would think there is some larger purpose in having all premiere on the same day.

We shall see.
ronelm2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Wierd, there's no indication of Shana III in http://www.niconico.com/anime
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ronelm2000 wrote:
Wierd, there's no indication of Shana III in http://www.niconico.com/anime

They finally started streaming it today, starting with the first four episodes:
http://ch.niconico.com/channel/ch60166

Sadly, it looks like only 480p for this series, instead of the 720p available for the others.

Funimation also has the same four episodes:
http://www.funimation.com/shakugan-no-shana/episodes

They list them as episodes 49-52 of simply Shakugan no Shana, which makes me slightly hopeful they will add the second series later.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
They list them as episodes 49-52 of simply Shakugan no Shana, which makes me slightly hopeful they will add the second series later.

Yeah, hopefully. I've got a lot of catching up to do before I watch the third series. I've got the first series on DVD (made sure to pick it up for a good price before it went OOP), and need to watch through that even before I reach the stuff that is as of yet unavailable. It doesn't seem like they are counting the OVA that comes between(?) the second series and the third series? Is that important to see before Final too?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault.

This makes no sense. Geneon (Universal) is producer of all seaons and OVAs, and for them to release III but hold II seems questionable, at best.

I would surmise this is an issue for DVD reproduction because the series is already made. All that would be left would be to translate it and subtitle it.

I concur this news is crap without a season II first. I know some out there have seen it via fansub, but some of us (myself included) have not. I just never really felt the desire to rush out and watch it because it would always be there.

Now, however, I feel like I have to see II in order to see III, which means here I come, fansubs.

Thanks for forcing my hand, FUNimation.

No sweat, though. I'll buy the DVDs regardless. Promise!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault.

This makes no sense. Geneon (Universal) is producer of all seaons and OVAs, and for them to release III but hold II seems questionable, at best.

Shana I and II were produced by Geneon, prior to the merger with Universal. It doesn't have to make sense but it is abundantly clear there have been problems with a lot of Geneon licenses. Given that the Shana section on the new FUNimation site had been locked ever since it launched up until today and they have finally started work on Hellsing Ultimate things do at least seem to be moving.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Sadly, it looks like only 480p for this series, instead of the 720p available for the others.

They were only provided with SD materials, but at least they were decent quality. They will switch to HD if they can get the materials.

samuelp wrote:
Haganai and Shana are not sourced in HD, however Haganai 4+ will switch to HD.
Shana 1-4 will be launching shortly (480p only for now). Episode 5 is also nearly done and we'll be caught up.

Haganai in particular was just a DV source, and one which was encoded post-telecine as well so even a perfect IVTC still leaves a slight interlace artifacts due to the compression effects bleeding across the fields.
Thankfully starting from episode 4 we're getting full HD sources. I hope we'll get replacements for 1-3 eventually as well.
Shana is only SD but a much better quality Canopus HQ source. If HD sources become available we'll obviously switch to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3