• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now and Then, Here and There (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Wrong. It's that if stories are going to go the realistic route, then they need to seem realistic to the intended audience. It is *harder* for an anime to be realistic -- the bar is higher. As a result, I am harsher in how I grade an anime that is trying to be realistic. Like I said, one of the main factors in my grading is how well the anime does what it intends to do. What TTGL was trying to do is very different than what NTHT was trying to do.

I like some comedies. I like some action shows. I like some reaslistic shows. I like some crazy, totally unrealistic shows. You may want to dismiss my view as "just a personal thing", but you can do that with everyone's opinions. But I will repeat: I don't think that NTHT did what it was trying to do particularly well.

From TTGL's perspective, it would be as if they were trying to be cool, but just came out and looked stupid and lame. Where instead of making you cheer at a moment of badassery, you instead laughed at the fools, or worse thought it was two-dimensional tripe. THIS is where opinions differ, in how well the anime did what it was trying to do. Some people *do* think TTGL was stupid and lame, and others think it was great, but there is (or should be) a general concensus as to what TTGL was *trying* to be.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Wrong.

It is *harder* for an anime to be realistic -- the bar is higher. As a result, I am harsher in how I grade an anime that is trying to be realistic.

How can you say wrong when that sentence affirms exactly what I said. You yourself said that it's harder for an anime to be realistic (something that I agree with), and as a result of it being hard to do, you're even harsher with the grading. So not only is it more difficult for a director to mold a realistic anime, but your critique is even sharper on the final product? Isn't that like a double whammy?

So as a result, when something is not realistic, you tend to not be as harsh in grading?

Isn't that a more elaborate way of saying that you personally prefer non-realistic titles (and thus do not grade them as harshly)?
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
bravetailor
You completely missed my point in your little rant.

My point is, if it's no better than what you or I could do, it's not doing a "quality" job. We are not good writers, as you said. This kind of sledgehammer writing is not quality writing because it is writing that many laymen could probably do.

I'm baffled by your response. Question I don't understand. Maybe you didn't read my post or accidentally read someone else's post? Because I wrote this:
Quote:
~~EpiC~~
bravetailor No. Writing is an extremely difficult task. Not anyone can do it.

I guess I could spell it out further if I need to. I disagree that any laymen could do the job NTHT does. I don't even think .1% of the population could. I'm implying (and said) that I feel NTHT has very strong writing. I'm disagreeing with your points.

I am also confused as to why you use these wild generalizations as a basis for your arguments.
Quote:
"I hate people who criticize something as manipulative, it's stupid, yadda yadda."

I appreciate your ability to mix around my words to express something completely different. Scroll back up and reread my post, please. I said I hate the argument, not the people. The argument was weak, and I quickly pointed out why I feel it has zero weight.

I don't understand why you are dancing around everyone's arguments and trying to transform them into something they are not. Are you interested in discussing this?

But, I will reply to Tuor_of_Gondolin.

I appreciate you pointing out your rationalizations, I think I understand your overall point a bit better. Thank you.
However, I still think this statement clashes with what you said here:
Quote:
And of course authors want to cause emotional responses in dramatic works. A *good* author draws those responses out naturally through the use of good plot and dialog. Bad authors use crass means to drag out responses, hammering on emotional buttons with sledge hammers and leaving the reader/viewer feeling somewhat violated, or at least indignant, as a result. I think NTHT's authors fall somewhere in between of these extremes, and judge the overall work the way I do as a result of that perception.

I'm guessing you mean that this paragraph only applies in some cases, so I"m not sure why you pointed it out as an end all be all to your methods. The reason I wanted to know why you pointed out TTGL as a masterpiece was to see if it added up. While I respect your overall reasoning for choosing TTGL as a masterpiece (it being awesome is a completely far justification), it really clashes with this statement and a few you made in your last two posts.
Quote:
This is NOT how NTHT works.

I'll agree they are different shows. But here's my issue with your response. TTGL gets serious. It gets very serious sometimes. Sure the fighting is ridiculous, but not the storytelling The ending for example is dire serious. The second half of the show pulls on the heartstrings in a far more unnatural way than NTHT does considering the kind of story it set itself up for in the beginning. In essence, I am saying the show tries to be something it's not. (its over the top on the surface, but not underneath). I am saying your justification, that the show never loses itself from its over the top ways, is opposite of what the show actually does. Comparatively, I would say that NTHT never once loses track of what it wants to be. It doesn't try to be something its not.

Actually, I'm not sure if I got across what I wanted to say Tuor so you'll have to tell me if I did or didn't. I didn't go into details and kind of assumed you knew what I was talking about, because I don't want to spoilerize my post. I appologize if I'm coming off as angry because I am not. I am curious.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Let's see. I'm going to answer both Megiddo and EpiC together, since their points seem to be pretty close to the same.

When you judge a comedy, what are you judging it on? Its ability to make you laugh? Its witty use of dialog, double-entendres, irony, and the way it calls to light some of the absurd things we do? And when it does these things well, we say it is a good comedy and we give it a good rating, right?

But the criteria we use to judge serious drama is NOT the same as what we use to judge a comedy. Futhermore, most people would say that a serious drama is much more difficult to pull off. As a result, we tend to give much greater recognition to a serious drama when it is done right. Critics tend to focus more on dramas and tend to be far less forgiving for poorly done dramas. Comedies tend not to win major awards -- usually that's reserved for dramas or other serious works.

It's not about whether a critic -- me, in this case -- prefers comedies over dramas. It's about what is being attempted and how well it achieves its intent. I thought TTGL did a spectacular job achieving its intent, so I graded it accordingly. The same is *mostly* true in how I graded NTHT: mostly, because my subjective feelings supported TTGL and were modestly against NTHT. (Previously I mentioned Texnolyze, in that case my subjective feelings were moderately agianst it, but I felt it was done so well that I elected to give it Masterpiece rating regardless... I might downgrade that at some point.)

For EpiC in particular, I regret if I made it sound like "good plot and dialog" are the end all be all of my rating for all forms of anime (or entertainment in general). That is not the case. But for serious shows, trying to depict a realistic future Earth, dealing with grave RL issues like child-soldiers (and, more generally, the pyschological effects of war and war-mongering), they *are* pretty important to me.

As for EpiC's comments about TTGL being serious. I am sorry if I wasn't plain enough earlier. I'm not talking about specific events within an anime, I'm talking about the overall goals of the anime: the idea of Shu suddenly powering up the fortress and yelling something like, "Forget about reason and kick logic to the curb! We're gonna kick ass and get all the water we could ever need, because that's how Team Brainwatched Child Solder rolls!" Well, that would be pretty absurd within the context of the story-world; it wouldn't make any sense to say and it wouldn't work (no such thing as Spiral Power there).

Yes, TTGL gets serious in its plot, but it never gets very realistic in what happens: even when it *is* being serious, there's an underlying sense of the impossible behind it. When Kataan uses the giga-drill to save everyone, that's serious in one respect, but at the same time it is absurd because it is totally unrealistic by RL standards -- NTHT is intended to be judged by the real world and to be realistic in all respects except, perhaps, Lala Ru's ability.

I will add that my sense of what is plausible and possible, and what other people think is plausible and possible, are different. When something takes place in an anime, or when some organization is described, or when they show some mechanism, or talk about science, or politics, I compare it to my own worldview and I use my own knowledge about those things. I do this even if it is set somewhere else. I can overlook inconsistances in a world if there is a reason given for me to do so, or if the focus on the show is on something totally different; but when I'm supposed to use the real world as a basis for nearly the whole created world, then I'm using my real world knowledge. This is *why* it is harder to do realistic shows, because it is harder to explain away any differences that come up.

For example, I've been in the military, and so when military things are brought up in anime, I do compare my knowledge to what I see and adjust for differences in the created world's underpinnings, then decide if it still makes any sense. I have some knowledge of engineering and physics, I know something about politics, and I know how people tend to act in various situations. When you're going for realism, then these things have to come pretty close to expectations or suspension of disbelief starts to break down.

Jeez. I've rambled on again. Sorry about that. Hopefully you guys are starting to get what I mean now.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:
It still was a very adequate rebuttal. I like how you changed the subject from the writing to "opinions" just to try and cover that up though.

And I acknowledged it was an adequate rebuttal right in the post, aside from the off-track discussion.

If you're not going to read what you're commenting on, why bother posting? Just to get in a meaningless shot? I pretty much said that I wanted to get back on topic and I admitted that I was guilty of contributing to the topic getting off track. There is no "covering" up anything if I even admitted it right in post there. Confused

Unicorn_Blade wrote:

First of all, I did not criticise your opinion or got mad (???), I merely pointed out that the arguments you presented were at least a bit inconsistent.

Actually, at that point I was commenting on some of the posters here who were calling people "retarded" or "stupid". And I was referring to someone else's quotes in here when talking about it, so clearly I was not targetting you there.

Quote:
You present arguments based on opinions of some anonymous 'fans' without any proof of them existing, to back up your opinion to which you are entitled to of course. But I am simply not a huge fan of such generalisations. Every opinion is worth discussing, but Id rather discuss arguments not backed up by phrases such as 'people think' or 'most fans happen to agree with me on this point'.

I'm talking about fan opinions (and this link I post is a fan blog/site, I must mention, so it's not exactly a "professional" review, but it's a good indicator of what I come across in discussions about Shu)

http://www.sleepisfortheweak.org/pics/nowandthen/

Quote:
Another thing this series has going for it is its main character, Shu. In a lot of ways, he's a typical shounen lead (although he's missing the spiky hair): he's not too smart, but his kindness, morals, and energy make up for it. His personality and cute character design seem like they would be more at home in Shounen Jump, deep within a happy manga about ninja or soccer. Instead, he ends up in a world full of war, cruelty, and difficult moral decisions. Obviously his character has to change over time to accommodate all this, but despite all the garbage he goes through he never loses his optimism and good nature.

For this fan, Shu being portrayed like a typical shonen lead is a good thing, while I view it as problematic, (and I disagree with him that Shu really changes. He may have more knowledge just by default of going through this crap, but he's not essentially a totally different person at the end). But there is a sentiment among SOME people, fans and critics alike, that Shu is essentially a typical optimistic and good natured shonen lead plopped into a darker than dark situation.

That is what I was referring to. I did not say that they viewed this characterization negatively like I did, just that there were SOME people who basically thought that Shu was a very familiar anime character 'type.'

Quote:
Then you completely danced around the second part of . what I said by making it look as if I was attacking you.

I don't dance. Never learned how to. Wink

I'm long winded, sure, but I always try to answer someone honestly.

Quote:
I was not, I just found it a bit funny that you pretty much assumed that people who liked the show and symphatised with its characters did so because of some vague personal reasons, rather than because of good writing. I just wanted to clarify that the point that you made was not very valid, since good writing does not exclude dramatic event hapening, as well as dramatic events not being equal to being a part of good writing.

You found it FUNNY? You sure don't sound very amused to me so far! Wink I merely asked (my post was posed as sort of a query) exactly what people were reacting to and my theory/opinion as to what the show was "actually" doing to evoke these feelings. I didn't assume that people were sympathising with the characters because of some "vague" personal reasons, I said that I felt the characters were broadly and unspecifically drawn and that I found no specific reason for people to react to the characters emotionally other than the events they went through in the show.

Like I said (ACTUAL SHOW CONTENT ALERT), I felt that Sara was drawn solely to be a rape victim. Yes, she eventually learns to deal with her emotional situation, but I honestly can't say that I felt I really knew the character aside from the role she was given. What exactly is her personality? We never get to know, because the show was focused on her getting victimized, then getting traumatized, then getting bitter and angry (as anyone would) then dealing with the child she was pregnant with. These are all general human reactions to a horrible situation. But it is not characterization. Everything about her stems from her getting raped. There is not one moment where her character breathes outside of that event. This is what I am saying, is a big problem with the writing. Everyone is handed a broadly drawn role and they're written less as characters and more as mouthpieces to tell a specific message.

What is Shu, exactly, if nothing more than a generic Shonen Jump character with your requisite qualities of endless optimism and hope in the face of adversity? He's there to provide the voice of hope for the show, but he isn't a CHARACTER, per se. This goes back to my mouthpiece angle. He's there to say things like, "No, you musn't kill! No, you must live! Grahhh that is wrong!" In my opinion, that's his only function and since the show sides with Shu's idealism for the most part, the show comes off as terribly "hamfisted" much of the time since Shu is the one who verbally spells out all the themes in the show for the audience.

Quote:
For you the writing of the series might not be good, fair enough, no one here is on a mission to force you to love the show and I don't feel any urgent need to make you believe that the writing is excellent. I just don't think that accusing the writers of trying to cover up for their lack of skills with a series of dramatic events is very fair.

Well...in every criticism one usually calls out the people who worked on the show. Is it fair when we do that? Well, haven't you ever criticized a famous director for "dropping" the ball on a movie or show you felt disappointed you? Haven't you ever criticized the writing in a show you didn't like? You could say that we're not qualified to criticize any work of art, ever, because few of us are professional directors, artists, animators, musician or writers. Yet everyone does it when they criticize. Is it fair? Maybe not. But it's how we hold the creators accountable when we don't like something.

Phew! I apologize for the long-windedness but it seemed like you wanted me to explain myself further, so I tried to cover as much of what you asked about.

And ~~EpiC~~, you posted this:

Quote:
I appreciate your ability to mix around my words to express something completely different. Scroll back up and reread my post, please. I said I hate the argument, not the people. The argument was weak, and I quickly pointed out why I feel it has zero weight.

I don't understand why you are dancing around everyone's arguments and trying to transform them into something they are not. Are you interested in discussing this?

I just explained it over and over. I admit I was long winded, but it was all there. Also, I liked how you stole Unicorn Blade's complaint about me dancing. Where is the originality? People here sure love that word! And by the way, I was referring to when you posted this:

Quote:
But first and foremost, calling a show emotionally manipulative is one of the most absurd arguments I have ever run across. I hate when people say it, because it's retarded

That is what you posted, right? Now, I COULD be misreading you but when you say "it's retarded", you either mean the people who say it, or the argument. Either way, it describes the person behind the argument, because an argument itself cannot be "retarded", so it can only mean that the person who posted is "retarded". Now, I don't have a problem with that personally, I've been called worse and quite frankly, I'll fully admit I do some pretty darned retarded things! My quibble is that you basically steered the conversation away from the show and onto the WAY we were talking about the show.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know, usually the rape victims I have seen portrayed in novels and cinema tend to end up sobbing in their bed a lot, but I don't recall any of them whacking a guy with the butt of a gun and then running off into the pitch darkness. But maybe that is common amongst rape victims.

And to have Sara take over for Sis and be a surrogate mother for the children, despite not long prior being so furious as to try to kill the child that was inside her... that's something that I don't see a 'rape victim' do all that often.

But hey, if that's all you see in her character... I can't say much to that. It's your judgment after all.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't know, usually the rape victims I have seen portrayed in novels and cinema tend to end up sobbing in their bed a lot, but I don't recall any of them whacking a guy with the butt of a gun and then running off into the pitch darkness. But maybe that is common amongst rape victims.

And to have Sara take over for Sis and be a surrogate mother for the children, despite not long prior being so furious as to try to kill the child that was inside her... that's something that I don't see a 'rape victim' do all that often.

But hey, if that's all you see in her character... I can't say much to that. It's your judgment after all.

Yes, but again, even everything you said here refers to her *reacting* to being raped. Her entire character in the show revolves around the rape. There is no wiggle room for expansion. As you said, Sara took over for Sis and became a surrogate mom to the children, despite prior to that being angry enough to kill her own child...again, the result of that arc is informed by her being raped. Her every action in the show revolves around the single event. I just personally feel it is ultimately a one-dimensional characterization, and why she is known solely for being a "rape victim." As I said above, it's not that the portrayal of her is positive or negative, it's that her every action is informed by a single traumatic event.

Let's put it this way, if Sara were NOT raped, how exactly would you describe her personality? Is she a strong enough character to stand on her own without that event informing her characterization?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
Your argument makes no sense.

At all.

Her 'character' is reacting, yes. That is what characters do. They react. They don't just change out of the blue for no farking reason whatsoever.

She did not take care of the kids because she was a rape victim. I don't even know why I typed that sentence. It was a reaction, yes, but it was a reaction to the new light in life that Sis had shown her, the small joy of motherhood.

I would describe her as a strong independent young woman who was able to escape her captors. She was full of a rage for the injustices she faced (starvation, physical abuse, etc) but after staying a short time in that small village with Sis, she learned how there could be brightness in the world. That children are pure and that there can be joy in raising them.

And I think she could have learned the small joys of motherhood had she never been raped, yes.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Actually, at that point I was commenting on some of the posters here who were calling people "retarded" or "stupid". And I was referring to someone else's quotes in here when talking about it, so clearly I was not targetting you there.

Well, you should have quoted them instead of me.

Quote:
I'm talking about fan opinions (and this link I post is a fan blog/site, I must mention, so it's not exactly a "professional" review, but it's a good indicator of what I come across in discussions about Shu)

My point is still valid- you used arguments about, quote, "Even fans of the show... ". And fans for me in this context can mean 5, 50 or 5000 people, we dont know. You made it sound like if it was a major portion of fans that made an official statement. Your link however provides us with few opinions of random people who enjoyed or not the show. Whats the point on basing your argument on something so vague? Even without it I suspect that some people might find the show badly written, I dont need actual quotes that prove that some people dont like the character portrayal. I just dont think particular opinions be treated as 'majority of fans', etc. In the same way, I can say "Most fans love the writing" basing the opinion on posts by me and few other people that particcipate(d) in this very thread Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Quote:

For this fan, Shu being portrayed like a typical shonen lead is a good thing, while I view it as problematic, (and I disagree with him that Shu really changes. He may have more knowledge just by default of going through this crap, but he's not essentially a totally different person at the end). But there is a sentiment among SOME people, fans and critics alike, that Shu is essentially a typical optimistic and good natured shonen lead plopped into a darker than dark situation.

Well, but with al lthe respect, that is just someone's opinion. Yeah, everyone can have one. Good for him. But But since it is a subjective matter, again, I think it is up to a viewer to decide whether Shu is credible or not. Believe me, I have seen people who remained optimistic and went through a LOT. So I didn't have problems with Shu remaining optimistic despite all that he has seen, specially knowing that for me, he did change and he was not just happoli bubbling about happy things. He was touched by what was going on, and sometimes he seemed to force himself to be optimistic, despite the pain and destruction he witnessed. I think Shu had an opportinuty to have his life philosophy verified by life and make it really work. Like Vash in Trigun throughout most part of the show. He refuses to see bad, I dont know why people would see this as incredibly unlikely to happen, but it's their opinion.

Quote:

You found it FUNNY? You sure don't sound very amused to me so far! Wink I merely asked (my post was posed as sort of a query) exactly what people were reacting to and my theory/opinion as to what the show was "actually" doing to evoke these feelings. I didn't assume that people were sympathising with the characters because of some "vague" personal reasons, I said that I felt the characters were broadly and unspecifically drawn and that I found no specific reason for people to react to the characters emotionally other than the events they went through in the show.

No, you did not. Al least they way you made it sound was is as if you tried to prove that people who liked the show liked it because their response was more human symphathy than a response to good writing. Which I disagree with.
I dont think there was any neccessity to really portray Sara's background, etc, in the same way we dont learn everything about all of the other characters. I think it is up to a viewer to draw conclusions for himself, it's a part of a personal response to a show to make some sort of personal judgement without having everything spelled out for us.
There were a couple of things that influences Sara- and rape was a big part of it, but i dont see it as a very unnatural response. I mean, maybe a viewer needs to have a better understanding what being raped might mean (I dont mean by an actual experience), and understanding how it affect people that were raped.

Quote:
Everything about her stems from her getting raped.

I might be wrong, but you make it sound kind of like "Oh she was raped, but she should have dealt with it otherwise, her response was too dull and too influenced by her beign raped". Well, if you ever meet a rape victim, show me one that deals with it overnight. It is a long and gradual process to get out of a trauma, and there is no way that the series action happens over a few days/weeks. And then Sara is majorly influenced by the other woman who dies in prison (cant remember her name), and by the children, AND by Shu. So she does react to different sort of stimuli. She shows that depsite all the tragic circumstances, she is a strong young woman not afraid to risk her life to save children although she has no interest to do so. That really tells you nothing about her personality?

Quote:

You could say that we're not qualified to criticize any work of art, ever, because few of us are professional directors, artists, animators, musician or writers. Yet everyone does it when they criticize. Is it fair? Maybe not. But it's how we hold the creators accountable when we don't like something.

That was not my point. I think we have every right to criticise people who worked on a show, I just thought you used arguments that didn't really prove that the writing was bad Smile
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Your argument makes no sense.

At all.

Ookay. I think we've all had enough of this kind of stuff now. Are you going to say that every time I post something in response to you ABOUT the show? Not once did I deviate from the show itself in that specific post you just responded to. It was going so well! But you couldn't resist, could you? Well, I'm not biting on this again. I'll just say that I understand where you are coming from but I am disagreeing with it. That's not so hard for me to say! Maybe you can do that too!

Quote:
Her 'character' is reacting, yes. That is what characters do. They react. They don't just change out of the blue for no farking reason whatsoever.

She did not take care of the kids because she was a rape victim. I don't even know why I typed that sentence. It was a reaction, yes, but it was a reaction to the new light in life that Sis had shown her, the small joy of motherhood.

And I think she could have learned the small joys of motherhood had she never been raped, yes.

This is where our views simply differ. I personally don't think a good major character should always be on the reactive. If a character is going to get some significant screen time, she or he should be fleshed out beyond just reacting to a single event.

When you say that she could have learned the small joys of motherhood had she never been raped, I will take it that this is your response to my query about her as a character outside of being the designated "rape victim."

But what you're describing doesn't really tell me about her as a person. It's just telling me what she could have experienced if she were never raped. What are her personal interests? What type of people would she gravitate towards as a person? How does she normally react in situations when it's not required for her to think about what she just went through with those men?

You say that Sis showed her a new light in life that helped give her some glimpse of the "joy of motherhood." Fair enough, but again, my thing with this is that this grows out of Sara recovering from her traumatic event. Everything she does is related to one event, either recovering from it, fighting it, and/or eventually accepting it. But what is she as a person?

If someone you know, for instance, went through a traumatic event--whether it be rape, horrible accident, disease, etc,--does everything you know about them revolve around that one event? Does it not matter if this person likes to draw, write or play music? Does it not matter if this person is good at handling certain situations and people? What about this person's talents? This person's psychology outside of this event?

With Sara, we don't get to know. She's essentially a blank slate. And before you say, "Well, come on, she doesn't have time for that stuff", I disagree. There are times when the show quieted down enough for them to show different aspects of that character if they wanted to. But no, everything about the character revolved around her reacting to ONE event.

It's "Oh. she's mad and bitter now because she's pregnant with a baby she got while she was raped."

It's "Oh, now she's recovering and begun to interact with other people now, she may now be recovering from the trauma of BEING RAPED."

This is what I mean. Everything she does leads back to the same simplistic reason. So yes, she did not take care of the kids BECAUSE she was a rape victim, she decided to take care of the kids because she was RECOVERING from being a rape victim. Ultimately, all paths lead to her encompassing that single role the show laid out for her. There is nothing for her to do outside the rigid confines of fulfilling the "message" behind that role, which as Shu so bluntly put it, basically was "Don't give up, no matter how bad things are."

That's all fine and good, I just happen to think a character should still breathe outside of just helping to illustrate a moral or a message the writers are trying to send to the audience. And that's why she still ultimately occupies the role of "rape victim" in the show.

And if that still doesn't "make sense. at all". Well, I can do no more to explain myself. You'll just have to humour this incomprehensible fellow and be diplomatic about ignoring my idiocy. Wink
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Well, you should have quoted them instead of me.

Actually, that was part of a paragraph I was writing while talking about some of the posts in here. I know I definitely DIDN'T TAKE your actual post, quote it, and then "mis-respond" to it. So I didn't mean to say, "You...SAID THIS! And now I'll call you out on it!"

I said,

Quote:
However, just because someone takes an alternate opinion than yours doesn't mean it's not worth discussing. I'm really not into arguments that go into "I hate people who criticize something as manipulative, it's stupid, yadda yadda."

My mistake was using "yours" in the FIRST sentence as if it was directed at you, when I was actually talking about some of the other posts in here from other people. Your post simply compelled me to address the situation that had already been going on, so I do apologize for using my response to you to talk about that.

Quote:
My point is still valid- you used arguments about, quote, "Even fans of the show... ". And fans for me in this context can mean 5, 50 or 5000 people, we don't know. You made it sound like if it was a major portion of fans that made an official statement. Your link however provides us with few opinions of random people who enjoyed or not the show. Whats the point on basing your argument on something so vague? Even without it I suspect that some people might find the show badly written, I don't need actual quotes that prove that some people don't like the character portrayal. I just don't think particular opinions be treated as 'majority of fans', etc. In the same way, I can say "Most fans love the writing" basing the opinion on posts by me and few other people that particcipate(d) in this very thread Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Okay, fair enough. I agree with you there. And with the way the argument turned out, in retrospect I felt it was a pointless digression too, that "other fans" part I brought up, even if I never meant it to mean the majority.

Quote:

I might be wrong, but you make it sound kind of like "Oh she was raped, but she should have dealt with it otherwise, her response was too dull and too influenced by her beign raped". Well, if you ever meet a rape victim, show me one that deals with it overnight. ?

No no no, I'm not complaining about HOW she reacted to being raped or whether or not she was being portrayed like a "proper" rape victim should. I was saying that she was basically a character that was written to perform one role in the story (rape victim) to bluntly preach a message the writers are unsubtlely trying to convey.

I'm referring to strictly the mechanics of the writing here. I am NOT talking about how she should or should not have acted, I am talking about the fact that everything she does is all to service the single message the show is trying to preach. Hence, my complaints about Shu as well. Again, he's only there to perform one role, just like Sara--to bluntly tell the audience what the moral of the story is and be the requisite "hopeful" character.

Quote:
It is a long and gradual process to get out of a trauma, and there is no way that the series action happens over a few days/weeks. And then Sara is majorly influenced by the other woman who dies in prison (can't remember her name), and by the children, AND by Shu. So she does react to different sort of stimuli. She shows that depsite all the tragic circumstances, she is a strong young woman not afraid to risk her life to save children although she has no interest to do so. That really tells you nothing about her personality

Okay, that is a good point too. But this is where we see things differently. I happen to think that she acts this way simply to help bring across the "never give up" message of being a rape victim. I AGREE with the message. But, I think that from a purely writing standpoint, the show is way too obvious about how it goes about preaching it. And by pidgeonholing her into the one role of "rape victim", she is basically nothing more than a chess piece for the writers to move to help preach that message.

Quote:

That was not my point. I think we have every right to criticise people who worked on a show, I just thought you used arguments that didn't really prove that the writing was bad Smile

Well naturally you think this way, because you disagree with what I said! I certainly don't expect you to say, "Oh, okay. I love the show but you proved the writing was wrong. Thanks! Have a nice day!" Laughing Yeah, when does anything like THAT ever happen in an online debate? I don't mind if you think I'm wrong, but I simply like it better when we stick to talking about the show itself rather making veiled shots at our argumentative techniques. The best way to counter something you disagree with is to stick with the content and discuss it on that level, I think.

Anyway, I certainly didn't set out to "convince" people I was right. I was simply stating what I thought about the show's writing, and why. Think I'm totally wrong and my argument is WACK? OK, that's cool, it's a natural reaction to what you disagree with. Just keep it on the level, though, is what I'm asking. Instead of saying things like "This argument is RETARDED!!!!" (I know you didn't say this, just to stress, but I want to make a comment about what's been going on here), wouldn't it also be totally adequate and more on-topic to say,

"Hmm, well, I have to disagree with you about Sara there. I happen to think she's a very strong and individualistic character in her own right with her own convictions, such as when she knocked her captor out and killed him, but I suppose that's how it goes with how we see it."

See, when you and Meggido stuck to the actual show, I felt we were having a perfectly civilized discussion. I even thought about offering monocles and teacups and cookies to maintain the perfectly civilized mood!

Wink
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
I actually posted a reposnse right before you, but I could not help butting in again.

Quote:
This is what I mean. Everything she does leads back to the same simplistic reason. So yes, she did not take care of the kids BECAUSE she was a rape victim, she decided to take care of the kids because she was RECOVERING from being a rape victim.

No, she does not adopt the kids because she recovers. Those two processes are independent. You might say, she adopts them because she found a new purpose in life and thans to meeting the other woman her perspective changed. The fat of being raped is not something that can be easily erased. I think you dont really realise what influence rape has on psyche and demand the character to become unrealistically detached from the fact that she was raped. On the one hand, you want characters to be more believable, but on the other hand, you expect them to behave in an unnatural way in the circumstances they are in.

Quote:

If someone you know, for instance, went through a traumatic event--whether it be rape, horrible accident, disease, etc,--does everything you know about them revolve around that one event?

I have seen people shattered because of someones death, for weeks not being able to even get out of their bed. There are all sorts of responses for different things out there. You might be able to forget within seconds, other people might need years to get back to normal. Look how Sara was a background character in a 13 episode show, it was not a series about Sara. Had she been the main character in a 100 ep series, I would agree with you.

Besides, do you really think we need to know whether she likes to ride a bike or prefers singing in her free time to make her a 'complete' character? If you knew she liked origami and bdrawing, how would that change your perception of her? Those details mean nothing really, they are just additional, superficial details that would have no impact on the plot.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
bravetailor
That is what you posted, right? Now, I COULD be misreading you but when you say "it's retarded", you either mean the people who say it, or the argument. Either way, it describes the person behind the argument, because an argument itself cannot be "retarded", so it can only mean that the person who posted is "retarded". Now, I don't have a problem with that personally, I've been called worse and quite frankly, I'll fully admit I do some pretty darned retarded things! My quibble is that you basically steered the conversation away from the show and onto the WAY we were talking about the show.

I honestly would have just said you were retarded, if that were the case. Saying something someone does or says is stupid does not make the person stupid. Argument =/= person. When I said retarded it was just emphasizing the idea that I thought the argument was incoherent and runs itself in circles. It was not a personal attack.

However, you have finally given us some stuff to work with in terms of the show and exactly what you were using as a basis for calling the show badly written. So I'll ignore the other qualms I had with the rest of your thoughts and move back to NTHT.

Bravetailor, I feel as if you have a very eschewed view of what good writing is (no, I'm not saying you personally are eschewed or are retarded/stupid). Wasting time on unimportant details that would not add much to the story is a bad idea. Doing it on secondary characters is most often a worse idea. In regards to Sarah, the viewer knew everything about her that needed to be known to establish her thoughts and behaviors at the beginning of the show. We know everything we need to know about her life before the narrative of NTHT begins. She is from Shu's world and her life was good.

What happens to people define who they are. I'm not going to get into psychoanalysis and the like because that would push off-topic (and really unnecessary). In this story, the fine details of who she was in the past aren't needed to define who she became at the beginning of the story and who she became at the end (sorry, I know its redundant, restating for good measure).

Let's say Sarah liked Bean Buns and Playing Nintendo, beforehand. Well, what does this really add to the story? Nothing, so it becomes irrelevant, thus it isn't placed in the story. The fact is she had mass psychological trauma (rape, killing people, watching the aftermath of torture, early pregnancy, imprisonment, malnutrition, homesickness etc...) which completely changed her persona. The fact that she doesn't do whatever it is she liked to do (beforehand) actually adds to her characterization. It shows how in depth the trauma was. It proves she is dynamic. Part of her character is the fact that she isn't the same person anymore.

Again to reiterate my point, there are soldiers who have become so shell shocked, that being shell shocked is them. They don't like football anymore (or at least nowhere near the same way they did); they are consumed by their illness. Will they overcome their illness, maybe. And if they do will they like football (obviously all shell shocked people don't like football, I'm just comparing here) again? Maybe, but maybe not.

Hopefully, what I said makes sense.
Quote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin
For example, I've been in the military, and so when military things are brought up in anime, I do compare my knowledge to what I see and adjust for differences in the created world's underpinnings, then decide if it still makes any sense. I have some knowledge of engineering and physics, I know something about politics, and I know how people tend to act in various situations. When you're going for realism, then these things have to come pretty close to expectations or suspension of disbelief starts to break down.

I'll wholeheartedly disagree that a serious drama is harder to pull of than a comedy. They don't often get nominations because they are intensely harder to craft with universal appeal than drama. IMO comedy may be the hardest genre to exceptionally well in the eyes of many.

I agree that you should always judge a work based on what it is trying to do. To say NTHT mimics real life is a bit of a stretch, though. They are in a different dimension then our own. Does what happens in the show make sense for the show and the world built within the show. You disagree.

Tuor, you sound like you have a solid military background and may have knowledge to things that I do not. So, I could learn something that could change my opinion of the show. I'm curious as to what moments in the show were portrayed inaccurately enough for you to call its realism into question. If you could give a few examples that would be great.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

See, when you and Meggido stuck to the actual show, I felt we were having a perfectly civilized discussion. I even thought about offering monocles and teacups and cookies to maintain the perfectly civilized mood!

Wink

I have not seen a part of your response, so you may ignore parts of my second post, which is pretty much saying what you have kind of answered in the regard to my first post.

I still dont agree that Sara is merely a "rape victim" that serves one purpose: to prove Shu's philosophy. Because the ending is very bitter for her. Although she seems to be happy and accepts her fate, she is still going to miss her previous life and all she lost. It is not a happy ending that says "Well mates, all is well now". Because it's not and noone pretends it is.

I think Shu telling her at the end that goods things are bound to happen also knows it. People misinterpet his words thinking that he is simply stupid/ignorant and just babbles about good things despite all that he has seen, I think he is just desperate not to akcnowledge out loud that a part of his belief has died and persists in trying to make other people feel better- he does it for them, not for himself.

And Sara realises that she is, in a way, lucky to have been able to survive and to find some new purpose in life, but it partially comes out of desperation as well- otherwise, she would have nothing. She embraces her destiny and decides to act, but the choice she has in quite limited. And again, I think no one pretends that from now on hshe is going to have a glamorous life.

Well, i think we can still have tea and cookies!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
EpiC,

Well, yeah, I was in the US military for 6 years a while back. But I used that merely as an example of what I meant about using personal knowledge and comparing it to what happens in an anime. All of us have that, and the older you get the more you tend to have. I'm pretty old now (compared to your average anime lover, anyway) so I have quite a bit.

As for giving specifics, I'd have to watch the show again to be able to do that, and I'm not prepared to do that. The grade I gave was given shortly after I watched NTHT, while it was all still pretty fresh in my mind. It's not that fresh now and I wouldn't want to give a half-assed answer. What I *can* say is that I remember feeling that the anime was trying too obviously; the things that were happening seemed like they occurred *solely* to draw certain emotional responses... it was sort of like feeling you were playing poker with the deck stacked against you: not simply that you were having bad luck, but that the dealer was cheating now and then. That was the sensation (by analogy) that I had. So, I'm afraid I can't give you the specific sort of answer you were looking for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5