• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faraz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so because anime is "imported luxury" it should be priced higher? First of all, the luxury part has no bearing. Yes you can live without it but you can also live without TV, movies and games and anime is sometimes 10x more expensive than those other "luxuries".

Second, the imported part means absolutely nothing (specially in the case of a Japanese company selling their own product). Last month I bought The Witcher from my local gaming store. It is a game made by a Europian company and I paid the same amount as an EA produced game. The same goes for disks made by British or even Japanese makers. This is not an import car we're talking about. They don't need to put the DVDs on a freighter and have em shipped to the US. They can upload the content and have everything burnt right here.

Goodpenguin, as for downloader's justifications that you talked about, take it for what it is. If the disks are priced in line with other entertainment available, people will pay for them; if not they'll use fansubs. Them not getting food, cars and beach houses for free does not change the fact that anime producers can be making more money off of them but they're not due to their own stupidity. People won't pay for an over-priced anime whether they have access to fansubs or not so the fansub part of the equation doesn't effect how much Bandai makes from that group; Bandai's own pricing does. It's not crack, people aren't addicted to it so if they can't get it at a reasonable price they'll seek other forms of entertainment.

I asure you, a great deal of people who watch fansubs will not start buying DVDs if at some point fansubs become unavailable. So getting rid of them isn't going to change the bottom line that much. You change the bottom line by employing smart marketing strategies such as expanding your viewer base (by not charging $60 per hour of entertainment) and using new technology to give your product more exposure (using iTunes for example). Japanese producers basically dug their own grave by gouging US destributors on licensing fees and over-pricing a product that was still in its customer base infancy.

Damnit, I apologize for turning this thread into a fansub debate. Sad

Last edited by Faraz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Not to be rude, but there is something called Social Security disability most handicapped who are unable to work are eligible for. If you applied & were denied, did you appeal? Appeal is a must. THe pencil-pushers who process these things are unable to approve complex cases such as my father who, in the initial decline was told none of his conditions were severe enough to warrant disability, but the appeals judge said all the conditions (bad heart, bad knees, age) made him unemployable & he got the checks.

Been battling them going on 3 years now. FINALLY (2 years after filing my appeal) I am getting my hearing in front of a judge in a month or so. I've been injured going on 8 years now. For the first 4 years, I sold stuff on eBay when my pain level permitted it. But it got to the point where it became unprofitable to continue.

CCSYueh wrote:
If you want a Big Mac, you pay for it. Granted, your food dollars probably stretch further if you buy groceries & cook them yourself. You may enjoy anime. THat doesn't give you the right to watch it for free unless someone buy the licenses & someone pays to broadcast it on your tv screen (If you have cable, you're paying for your "free" tv).

"Free" tv is paid for by someone else. Fansubbers don't pay anyone & thus lack the right to offer it to you.

I'm a widow with a kid. I buy my anime.

Did I say I had a right to it? No. But them trying to put out fansubbers isn't going to win them any more sales. In fact, it's going to hurt them even more. I'm telling you why I have no qualms or ethical reservations about watching fansubs. I'm also telling you why selling sub only DVD's is going to be a very unprofitable venture. Even noobs like me can make a DVD out of fansubs. Like I said before. The main selling point of R1 anime DVD's is that it has an english language audio track. Selling sub only DVD's is essentially selling fansubs. And as some people said before, it's sad when fansubs are higher quality than what the licensor puts out.

CCSYueh wrote:

I'm in the "Busy working mom misses many eps/distracted by too much-do you really think I can keep track of all this stuff when you drag it out for 22 eps over 9 months?-box set is quicker & easier to actually remember the whole show school.

Ok, I have no idea what you said there, but whatever floats your boat.

CCSYueh wrote:

????????????????
Guess what I finally got around to watching a couple weeks ago having bought it at one of the Geneon sales (think it actually took 2 sales because they were missing a disc at first).
Excuse me, you need to pay more attention. It has an ending, bucko. Yeah, it's more the "Who shot JR/Lets leave the Charmed witches lying bleeding to death all summer", but there IS resolution. Say, win the battle & taking the fight to the enemy's own territory? Yeah, that describes it pretty well, don't you think?

Think of it as a series that was set up for a second season & didn't get it. Imagine your own ending OH MY!
Do you really expect the HEROES will lose the battle? Come on.

It really doesn't matter, does it?

spoiler[Ending the series right in the middle of the final battle without a clear winner] is NOT an ending. That's a cop out and sadly it's becoming more common these days. That being said, I like my endings to have FINALITY. I don't want it to be left up to my imagination. I want to KNOW what happened. Non-endings like Star Ocean EX's are cop outs because the writer doesn't have the balls to decide on an ending and risk people hating it. Unfortunately, people also hate it for not HAVING an ending.

CCSYueh wrote:
All you people whining about Bandai Visual?
It comes down to are these titles any one of you would purchase & if so are you willing to pay the sticker price? If it is you will, like me, buy the Bandai Visual titles you like. If it isn't, then you don't. If you don't, you aren't their customer so you really don't matter.
It's like bidding at an auction. Most bidders have a ceiling. They hope it won't go over & they can get it for less, but they have that point where the item offered is no longer worth it so they drop out & it goes to the one willing to pay for the item. You may think its a nice painting & be willing to bid $100. The other bidder may like it more & be willing to bid $200. Who goes home with the painting?

I wouldn't even pay that much if it HAD an english language audio track. That price is absurd for 2 episodes.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote
poehitman-good luck. I'll cross my fingers & think good thoughts for you. I'm all for people getting disability. My husband died a year after he went out on it (about 4 months after the appeal went thru). I figure he might have lived longer if he'd gone out sooner. Maybe not. I'll never know. But if you can't work, don't. Health is important. Even with a disability, working can compromise what health one does have.

There was a win in Star Ocean. Sort of like Desert Storm-the primary objective was reached, but the real goal (in the eyes of many)-Hussein- remained. As I said, it really looked like they intended a second season whether they did or not. Which is life--life doesn't always wrap up neatly. Maybe the killer gets prison on manslaughter instead of murder in the first.

BV's looking for the collector-like our Star Trek fans, etc. I would never pay $200-$400 fir a figure. some people fo.

Vortextk wrote:

First, in the US, entertainment is equal. If you go to a rental place, both shawshank redemption and the latest crapper from Steven Segal is the same price(roughly). If you see a movie in the theatre, same thing. Within it's own industry, the entertainment is roughly the same price. Football games, movies, new video games, etc.

And, True Tears looks like a title I'd want to see. I'm not paying that much though.

Sorry about that. THe issue becomes is it worth the money, or do you rent?

In certain markets entertainment is the same, but other venues-no. I know everyone brags about getting a season of Lost for $50 or less, but if you go for a more obscure title like my Brisco County, you'll pay decidedly more than $50 (I paid $70 on sale). They've also discovered the Special Edition-throw in a few extras & charge $10 or $20 more. I remember Sliders costing a pretty penny.

The titles I'm buying from BV are titles I didn't expect to see licensed. I really didn't see anyone bringing SRWOG over so to me they're bringing over titles there isn't a large demand for. Something like Naruto they know will sell well, they can actually price lower (as Geneon was. Viz was when I last noticed, also) I was buying Saiunkoku & Shonen Onmyoji & one was $25 list & the other $30 list.

Did you actually see anyone picking these titles up, particularly in this environment?
loka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
I like the idea of early release, but I hope (and I'm fairly certain) it will fail miserably. Hopefully that will force them to revisit their approach to the way they release anime in the US. I realise it's a "niche" market, but you don't make it an even smaller market by pricing yourself out of many people's pocketbook. As capitalism has shown time and time again, selling lots of something at a lower price tends to make you more successful than selling a few of something at a ridiculous price. They aren't going to grow and expand the market with these kind of business practices, if anything it will just shrink it further and force more people into online downloading.

aye. there's some principle in economics or something that states when a thing's price is pretty influential on whether people buy it, you will always make way more revenue by lowering the price.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda sad. I marathoned the first 5 episodes of True Tears and ended up loving it, but that price is ridiculous.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
The anime otaku can always buy an all-reigon DVD player and get R2s straight from Japan.

If Bandai would put subtitles on their R2s more regularly, I'd consider importing them, but my PS3 would prefer R1 discs. I have purchased R2s a number of times, but mostly for movies or OVAs. R2 TV series get expensive.

Quote:
Plus the late-night anime is pro-otaku anyway. There's not a lot of anime normal people can enjoy.

I haven't noticed anything that's otaku-only about Shigofumi. Many people might find it to be too slow and lacking in action, but it doesn't seem to be targeted at too narrow a range of viewers. True Tears is less of a general audiences sort of program.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8