• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Claymore Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Funi getting this series is the absolute best thing that could happen to it. Do they have enough of a female pool of actors to cover it though? There's a lot of ladies to voice they might need to bring in some from ADV like they've done in the past.

*Puts on Raison D'etre and cranks it up*

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Super Llama wrote:
Granted, the ending is weak as hell, but the fight scenes seem a lot more intense in the anime than in the manga.

When the last volume of the anime comes out, I will be sure to be the one to review it so I can explain again why the last few episodes don't suck (well, okay, the action is ridiculous but the rest of the content isn't) and actually provide a proper round-out to the series. Sheesh, I get tired of hearing people rag on them. . .

And while Claymore may not be extreme as Elfen Lied in its graphic violence, let's not forget that it does include graphic torture scenes in addition to numerous severed limbs and decapitations, impalings, horribly mangled bodies, lots of spurting blood, etc. Its content goes well beyond anything AS or Sci Fi Channel have aired unedited, and that's without considering the handful of episodes that have a bit of nudity.

The trailer did not impress me. Hopefully FUNimation will come up with something better by the time they start putting the trailers on DVDs. This is a sharp-looking series that deserves a sharp-looking trailer to promote.

Edit:
Kruszer wrote:
Funi getting this series is the absolute best thing that could happen to it. Do they have enough of a female pool of actors to cover it though? There's a lot of ladies to voice they might need to bring in some from ADV like they've done in the past.

Remember, FUNi did dub Negima!

Last edited by Key on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that the trailer they have going right now is lousy. They could have picked better scenes than that opening one. There are many to choose from. I would've expected the opening credit sequence. Or better yet, put lots of Teresa scenes in there. Yeah!
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This is great news for me. I enjoyed the anime and I am very happy that Funimation licensed it. I feel they will do a good job with it. I look forward to buying the series. I am glad that Viz did not get it. What a great surprise to help deal with a bad day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Whether Funi even tries to or not, I don't know how anybody can match the voice talent pool that graces this title. I mean, Houko Kuwashima, Romi Paku, Aya Hisakawa, Minami Takayama, Emi Shinohara, Kikuko Inoue, Nana Mizuki, Ai Orikasa, Kotono Mitsuishi, Satsuki Yukino, Megumi Toyoguchi, Tomokazu Seki...this is an impressive roster of voice talent. What is Funi to do I wonder.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember, FUNi did dub Negima!

...which I haven't seen, though I have heard of it. It's not exactly at the top of my list, though it does have a set now I think...maybe if I have some extra cash sometime and am in the mood for comedy. It just seems to me like I'm hearing the same ten actors or so in most of Funi's stuff (ADV is far worse in that department though) so I thought I'd inquire on how big exactly the pool of ladies was.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And while Claymore may not be extreme as Elfen Lied in its graphic violence, let's not forget that it does include graphic torture scenes in addition to numerous severed limbs and decapitations, impalings, horribly mangled bodies, lots of spurting blood, etc. Its content goes well beyond anything AS or Sci Fi Channel have aired unedited, and that's without considering the handful of episodes that have a bit of nudity.

the violence isn't a problem at all (look at Blood+), the nudity is what's gonna make it an obstacle.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
Funi I agree is starting off the year with some good things going, trying to negotiate with Geneon and now getting Claymore. I'm a big fan of the series, even though I haven't watched the anime, so it will be great thing to be able to have on DVD.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the violence isn't a problem at all (look at Blood+), the nudity is what's gonna make it an obstacle.

No, I've watched most of Blood+ now, and Claymore goes distinctly beyond that level. Blood+ has no scene as severe as what spoiler[Dauf does to Jean at Riful's direction in episode 15] or what spoiler[the Awakened Being does to Miria during their fight in episode 10], for instance. I actually found those scenes intense enough to be uncomfortable, and Blood+ has never given me that reaction.

For Kruszer: FUNi does have a bigger talent pool than that, although they did double up some VAs on the 30+ female roles they had for Negima.

For khryoleoz: Yeah, the Japanese dub had a lot of prominent talent, but a lot of them were also using voices below their normal ranges. That will be far less the case with an American dub.

Hmm, Clarine Harp doesn't do a lot of voice acting these days, but I could see her in one of these roles. Laura Bailey using her deeper voice would certainly fit somewhere, too. Actually, the most important casting job might be Raki, since his voice could easily irritate if not cast exactly right. (Hell, a lot of fans found him irritating in Japanese.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NamaeX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
That's awesome!

Now to cross my fingers on who I fan-casted to get the roles!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
MH Knights wrote:
*Fansubs deleted*

I wouldn't do that quite yet. Who know what will happen, they may go the way of Geneon. And then we'll have the same problem we did with Black Lagoon. Don't delete your subs until you have the DVDs in hand.

Not with all that DBZ fandom.Funimation ain't going nowhere.Plus it's fun to compare the fansubs to the official DVDs.Funimation recently got into blu-ray,which is good too.I want to see a good DVD release from Funimation that can beat the h.264 fansubs.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:

No, I've watched most of Blood+ now, and Claymore goes distinctly beyond that level. Blood+ has no scene as severe as what spoiler[Dauf does to Jean at Riful's direction in episode 15] or what spoiler[the Awakened Being does to Miria during their fight in episode 10], for instance. I actually found those scenes intense enough to be uncomfortable, and Blood+ has never given me that reaction.

For Kruszer: FUNi does have a bigger talent pool than that, although they did double up some VAs on the 30+ female roles they had for Negima.

Okay thanks also don't forget there's a few spoiler[disemboweling scenes where Yoma were eating people's guts too though maybe not animated in as much detail as the others.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Funimation recently got into blu-ray,which is good too.I want to see a good DVD release from Funimation that can beat the h.264 fansubs.

That reminds me of the other reason why I wanted to see this series on DVD: in a couple of the episodes the fansubs were too dark to clearly make out what was going on (particularly in the early episode involving a fight in a cathedral). I'm hoping a crisp DVD print shown on a high-def TV will improve that.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
I was expecting Viz to get claymore, and i was also expecting something a little more major from funi for their first license of the year......

On the fansub scene it was one of the biggest series that premiered in 07....

Last edited by Westlo on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It just seems to me like I'm hearing the same ten actors or so in most of Funi's stuff (ADV is far worse in that department though) so I thought I'd inquire on how big exactly the pool of ladies was.
Not to sound like a jerk but the Japanese VAs for this series aren't exactly neophytes themselves. While there is more overall variety in the Japanese dub, because their studios are closer together and thus it's easier for actors to move about, it's not fair to attack the English dub over using the same actors over and over. Besides, Funi hired a number of new VAs not too long ago and they've been using some of their lesser known ones in more prominent roles lately.

Sure, you've still got the "big names" in the big series, but that's to be expected since, much like bigger names in the Japanese scene, the big VAs over here do have followings. (Though I don't think it's quite as strong as with the Japanese.)

Besides, isn't the most important thing that the voices and acting compliment the character? Who cares if we've heard the VA a thousand times before so long as they are the right choice for the roll?

I do wish they'd announce some smaller shows too though. I love the Claymore manga, I'll buy the anime, but as much as blood with babes appeals to me, I'm more of a niche kind of guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7