• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 6 Most-Abused Anime Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
All six in the list were "abused" in comedic, light-hearted ways. Check out Shu from Now and Then, Here and There for some really horrible, terrifying experience.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about him! His situation is probably for another list though considering how dark it is. If he was included though I'd put him in the #1 spot. Sakura may be killed on a regular basis, but he only suffers for at most a minute or two before he dies and then is revived in perfect health.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I would put Ichigo Kurosaki, the guys bleeds a lot in Bleach.

Its very common to see heroes suffering too much in a shonen series, but the ones I've seen the most are Naruto Uzumaki and Edward Elric who are still able to overcome their difficulties.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Know what's especially funny about Dokuro-chan? When you think about it, Dokuro basically ends up creating the future she was meant to prevent, since spoiler[Sakura ends up in a love triangle with the little demon and her sister who looks like she's 9], and it seems almost as though Sakura's experiences with Dokuro could've inspired him to come up with the immortality inventions and shit.
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the new episode of Working 2 and figured it would be a huge disservice to Katanashi-kun's if his name didn't appear on the list.

Slaving away his life for his older sisters enough to create a prejudiced outlook of older women and pummeled by Inami at the restaurant just for being close in proximity makes you think if he'll ever get a reprieve.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Just watched the new episode of Working 2 and figured it would be a huge disservice to Katanashi-kun's if his name didn't appear on the list.

Slaving away his life for his older sisters enough to create a prejudiced outlook of older women and pummeled by Inami at the restaurant just for being close in proximity makes you think if he'll ever get a reprieve.

This. ---And could anyone explain to me why Japan thinks this is funny? The joke is so old by now.

I particularly couldn't wrap my head around Inami, or whatever that ugly girl's name is. I mean, IRL, if one of your co-workers continued to beat you up and not get fired, you could sue the company out of existence, right?
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It's missing Rika from Higurashi.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This. ---And could anyone explain to me why Japan thinks this is funny? The joke is so old by now.

Well there aren't many new jokes floating around so people continue to enjoy classics like physical violence. Sorry I am not going to say it's anything unique to Japan.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Well there aren't many new jokes floating around so people continue to enjoy classics like physical violence. Sorry I am not going to say it's anything unique to Japan.
Agree. Just look at western classics like the Three Stooges or Looney Tunes. Even some Bollywood stuff uses those tried-and-true jokes.
BarensMom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Its very common to see heroes suffering too much in a shonen series, but the ones I've seen the most are Naruto Uzumaki and Edward Elric who are still able to overcome their difficulties.

I agree, Ichigo Kurosaki couldn't walk down the street without bleeding a pint on the way.

Edward Elric is able to take a lot of abuse because of the metal arm & leg. While I wouldn't consider him most-abused, Major Armstrong seems to take quite a beating every time he's on screen, usually from his sister.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

That's not abuse, that's getting into typical Shonen Jump fights. Abuse is much more one-sided.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I'm not completely against comedic violence. I enjoyed watching Kaname whack Sousuke with her paper fan from the Full Metal Panic! franchise. But pretty much everything else I can only roll my eyes at.

Love Hina wasn't funny eight years ago when I watched a fansub of the first episode and almost cringed myself to death; one episode and every single "joke" had already become stale and then cliched and then gotten even worse. I've watched bits and pieces of all three seasons of Familiar of Zero and rarely found it funny. I didn't have a problem with the type of abuse per se, but rather just how badly it was executed.

And I guess that's the issue. Very rarely does Anime actually use these tropes effectively. Well, when I say "effectively", I do concede that (for example) Rie Kugimiya-headed Anime have established and devoted fanbases and the shows make large amounts of money. Which irks me, because I don't find the characters, the quality of the writing and the general fanservice to be that well done at all.

I'm a firm believer in that the industry should be a meritocracy with good titles should be rewarded and bad titles should be punished. Love Hina outsold Death Note and both seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. K-ON! outsold the first three seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou combined. That's just not right.

(N.B. I'm talking about a per-volume basis)
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
All six in the list were "abused" in comedic, light-hearted ways. Check out Shu from Now and Then, Here and There for some really horrible, terrifying experience.

That's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Yukinari from Girls Bravo didn't make the list. Kind of the same thing as Keitaro, but far worse. He's been henpecked and bullied by girls from a very young age, making him actively allergic to women. His only female friend consistently and actively causes him bodily harm for so much as sneezing. The series even begins with him getting kneed in the face for walking in on said girl who is using his bathroom in his house when he comes home. Then, through anime magic, he ends up in a world where every woman alive wants to rape him. The girls even convince him to crossdress for their benefit.

I also second the guy who said Rika from Higurashi. Her circumstances were several lifetimes worth of abuse.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Sounds about right. Poor people...

I don't know any of those drugs. I'd have to say the most dangerous would be Angel Text in Hatenkou Yuugi (Dazzle).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Except in that case I despised Shu in most every way, so the abuse he suffered was well deserved. But, I guess some people feel sympathy for dopes like him, so I don't expect that my views are the prevailing ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5