• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Bandai Entertainment Respond on Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
This is really starting to depress me as much as i like to be optimistic about the outcome. While it's great that at least Funimation and Bandai have made responses to this atrocity (yes, I feel sick enough at CrunchyRoll to call them atrocious), we really need the Japanese companies to take action, not just R1 licensors.

Maybe if the Batman anime and the next season of Afro Samurai prove to be very successful, anime produced by Americans and animated by Japanese studios for an American audience would be the way to go for Japanese companies to go to have success this side of the Pacific, as much as I wold miss watching animated Japanese characters all the time. Then new generations of anime fans can watch anime that doesn't require the time and money it takes for licensors to license it.

Just a thought I'd throw out there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
They've tried that with Avatar, and it's still a kids show. And stuff like Afro Samurai appeals senselessly to violence. If we have made-for American audiences only shows, none of them will really be that memorable and all the plots or stories will end up being crap. This is why I switched to anime in the first place, to get another culture's take on how to tell a story. Not the same re-hashed crap that's the only thing American storytellers (books, tv, movies, etc) can seem to produce.
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Rosyna wrote:
Can the fansubbers with content posted on crunchyroll not send DCMA takedown notices to crunchyroll? After all, the fansubbers own the copyright to the subtitles.

They may own the copyright to the subtittles but they still can't do anything. Reason being that they'd have to identify themselves to issue DMCA takedown requests which puts them at risk of being sued themselves. Also though they do hold copyright on the subs alot of people believe otherwise and they may find themselves ignored outright. Fansubbers taking Crunchyroll to court might not fare so well in front of a judge who may see it as many of the people here do: as thieves suing thieves.
rascalking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
wow.....this is like if is*hunt or p**atebay became public companies. I mean, to make money off property owned by other companies? Just not right.....I can't see how this deal was even allowed to be made. I never really cared so much about fansubbing due to the fact none of them charge and its usually never for profit......but this......this is just ridiculous.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They've tried that with Avatar, and it's still a kids show. And stuff like Afro Samurai appeals senselessly to violence. If we have made-for American audiences only shows, none of them will really be that memorable and all the plots or stories will end up being crap. This is why I switched to anime in the first place, to get another culture's take on how to tell a story. Not the same re-hashed crap that's the only thing American storytellers (books, tv, movies, etc) can seem to produce.

I felt that way about anime too years ago when I first started getting into it, but nowadays you see the same rehashed stories occuring in alot of the new anime coming out of Japan as well. It's really hard to make anything original anymore. There were only four shows last year coming out of Japan that I actually really enjoyed and would spend money to buy on dvd. Also, it's obvious you have some bias against all American media and you really can't say that they're all crap unless you have seen/read them all.

Last edited by fokkusuhaundo on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Just like I said, somebody else was going to step up like Funi on these matters, and it happens to be Bandai.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that may be true. But I can look back at 30 years of anime and find amazing stuff. I can look back at 30 years of cartoons are see absolutely nothing of importance. And as for what was worth buying last year, there's a few things, but yeah, it's most likely around 4.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I presonally enjoy fansubs. I have always been against piracy, I think that its absolutely wrong for someone to call fansubbing piracy. Not that I'm belittling Funimation, but I don't think that they should frown at sites like youtube and veoh for showing anime fansubs, after all fansubbing IS non profit.

Speaking of thier copyright policy, I don't think it's fair that I can't transfer episodes of Desert Punk on to my disc. I'm not doing anything wrong! I just want to transfer the anime to a blank disc because the tape may get old and worn out, is that a crime? No. As long as I'm not taking actaul licensed DVD material and copying it to another disc I'm not breaking the law.
Rosyna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Rosyna wrote:
Can the fansubbers with content posted on crunchyroll not send DCMA takedown notices to crunchyroll? After all, the fansubbers own the copyright to the subtitles.

They may own the copyright to the subtittles but they still can't do anything. Reason being that they'd have to identify themselves to issue DMCA takedown requests which puts them at risk of being sued themselves. Also though they do hold copyright on the subs alot of people believe otherwise and they may find themselves ignored outright. Fansubbers taking Crunchyroll to court might not fare so well in front of a judge who may see it as many of the people here do: as thieves suing thieves.

Well, many companies (Google, with youtube) don't care or check who owns the copyright. Therefore, they don't have to declare anything in full. Just take a standard DMCA notice and say "issued by datteshin subs" or something. They just immediately process the DMCA takedown request.
mauz15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, more than half of the replies here seem to be from members that either have not used crunchyroll or have not even heard of it much until know. So the assumptions here are a lot.

Heck, I'm not saying crunchyroll is a saint, but is not like the fansubbers are virtually moral either. Let's not get into the 'pointing finger game' as to who is 'killing the industry' because really, can you tell me with a straight face that fansubbers are doing something helpful EVERY time? (*note the word every)

When the site started it was merely a private site to share videos with some friends, word got out, site grew, so obviously bandwidth increases. (btw at one time back when the site was new, donations were more than enough and that money was not took for profit, instead....access to better streaming was allowed for both donators and regular visitors for a period of time. just a thought) Like I was saying bandwidth costs increased exponentially. To the point where even a limit to streaming a certain number of videos every 24 hours was put in place for some time, uh would a site profiting do this? you may argue, 'yeah to force donations' but that conclusion is a 50/50 so meh, valid reasoning but not necesarily strong.

(check alexa for the rapid growth around Dec 2006) so yeah obviously companies found the place and requested content to be taken off. They did, and still do. Back to the bandwidth point; with such a sudden increase in visitors the donations were, as to my limited knowledge but certainly more than many of you since I've hanged out there; the donations were barely covering monthly streaming costs so uh no profit.

I dont know exactly what the situation is now, so dont misunderstand my post as some sort of defense 'of the site i like' just stating facts on the table. and I stretch this for emphasis. Articles and opinions from companies (many of whom dont even understand anime fans hence their selfdefeat in terms of industry) are NOT REALLY that informative. This thing is too fresh to make any sound assumptions right now....

Oh and I'm not saying there is not truth in some of the posts here, so dont start attacking my post because if you do, is like you are assuming I'm taking a certain position when I'm really not. I just rather would wait some more to see how this develops. I mean have the creators of CR even addressed some of the points being raised here? no they have not.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Along with being a sucker for nostalgia, I'm also a sucker in the sense I only watch what's available on TV for the most part. And, if I like a series enough I'll buy the DVDs.

Disregarding anything else you said, I have to focus on this. It's a shame that more anime isn't on TV. TV exposure would obviously lead to more sales. I guess FUNi, ADV and the rest have tried though. Sure there may be channels that you get through satellite or equivalent, like IFC, but what's really needed is a Cartoon Network from 7-8 years ago with anime everywhere and a constantly expanding catalogue. Code Geass isn't airing until 12:30, that's some good prime time exposure right there. Automatically thousands of people will hardly know the show exists, thousands of potential customers are lost. I know I'm completely skewing the argument, but the solution to help save the anime industry lies in large cable networks playing gratuitous amounts of anime. Sadly, unless the current ones change their ways, progress will never be made here.

It's an incredibly large step, but what do you think of a dedicated channel to anime, Japanese culture, and music. The whole package really, that is available on basic cable in both the US, and Canada? In theory it sounds like a dream but I'm pretty sure some problems could come of it but I think that'd be a positive step forward.

The idea is that it wouldn't be limited to having to censor blood, or certain scenes, nor would anime like Code Geass have to be running at such a late time. It would allow a great deal of freedom, and there'd be a place for newl to be promoted, and viewed.

They could call it Otaku TV Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
mauz15 wrote:
...Oh and I'm not saying there is not truth in some of the posts here, so don't start attacking my post because if you do, is like you are assuming I'm taking a certain position when I'm really not. I just rather would wait some more to see how this develops. I mean have the creators of CR even addressed some of the points being raised here? no they have not.

That's great, and no one here is saying either that fansubbers are saints. But next to this guy they might as well be. At least they don't pretend to profit off it. I don't care how big you claim your site to be, you don't need 4 million dollars to run it. This isn't just the ethics of stealing anymore, it's now bringing in to play profiting from selling the stolen goods, which is a complete other monster as it not only counters claims people use the sites to avoid paying, but also gets no money back the studios. At least when you buy a DVD you are investing in the market and a lot of that money goes back in to more anime down the road. In this case you're investing in what? A leeches pocketbook.

What is there for them to even address? They're making money off of a product they obtained illegally. We know they don't have the license, we know the companies are sending them C&D's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Rosyna wrote:
Well, many companies (Google, with youtube) don't care or check who owns the copyright. Therefore, they don't have to declare anything in full. Just take a standard DMCA notice and say "issued by datteshin subs" or something. They just immediately process the DMCA takedown request.

It's been tried by multiple groups, they do not comply. They know they need fansubs to keep up the unique IPs and get ad and venture capital revenue. Honoring requests from fansubbers would be shooting themselves in the foot and they know it. Smart and sleazy, they are.

-Tofu
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, that may be true. But I can look back at 30 years of anime and find amazing stuff. I can look back at 30 years of cartoons are see absolutely nothing of importance.

Just off the top of my head:
Batman: The Animated Series
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Gargoyles

I prefer Japanese animation over American, but "absolutely nothing of importance" is a bit much.

mauz15 wrote:
Let's not get into the 'pointing finger game' as to who is 'killing the industry'

Yeah! After all, there are 4,050,000 reasons not to.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Hey, aren't you the guy that Zac interviewed earlier today regarding the inner workings of the fansubbing world?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11