• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters to Release 1st Squid Girl Season on BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would care. Squid Girl is a fun little series, but it is no sumptuous visual delight that requires the splendor of BD. Is anybody's enjoyment of this comedy really going to be enhanced to a significant degree if they watch it on BD versus DVD? Oh, marketing gods, once again you have swayed a bunch of ... people into paying more than they have to.

I'm going to have to agree with this, Unless it's a fast paced action title BD is not really worth it.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

One of these days, you'll own a BD player. Then, you'll understand. BD players aren't kind to DVDs, sir. They just aren't. They can spot a very shitty quality DVD vs. one which received a pinch of love. Some will play without issues. Others will stop dead in their tracks.

BD players have no more difficulty playing DVDs than DVD players. If yours does, it's a lemon.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would care. Squid Girl is a fun little series, but it is no sumptuous visual delight that requires the splendor of BD. Is anybody's enjoyment of this comedy really going to be enhanced to a significant degree if they watch it on BD versus DVD? Oh, marketing gods, once again you have swayed a bunch of ... people into paying more than they have to.

I'm going to have to agree with this, Unless it's a fast paced action title BD is not really worth it.

You don't need fast action or lots of details to spot a clear difference between the bluray and dvd. Heck, even the squid girl HDTV broadcast (or CR) would look better than the upscaled dvd. Any noise in the DVD would also be exacerbated when upscaled. Thick fuzzy lines and blurry backgrounds? I'll take the bluray.

The only caveat is if you still have a CRT TV or a CRT PC monitor (if you change the monitor resolution down close to 480p on playback) where the dvd would be at least decent
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

One of these days, you'll own a BD player. Then, you'll understand. BD players aren't kind to DVDs, sir. They just aren't. They can spot a very shitty quality DVD vs. one which received a pinch of love. Some will play without issues. Others will stop dead in their tracks.

BD players have no more difficulty playing DVDs than DVD players. If yours does, it's a lemon.

Or you were part of the lunatic fringe that bought one early before the bugs were worked out, and haven't patched it yet. My Oppo-brand player, as delivered, wouldn't display subtitles on "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". After a firmware patch, it's fine.

I've never had one "stop dead" though, except for a DVD with a physical defect (visible to the eye) that torpedoed every player I put it in.

Back on subject; I did buy the part 1 DVD of squid girl. And I'll probably skip the bluray and buy part 2. This industry confuses me sometimes... will they really make enough money on a title like this, with DVD2 and blu-ray eating each other's lunches, to make it worthwhile? Feels, to me, like the bluray authoring/repro fees could have been spent better... anywhere else. (Unless they have a contract for X many products with their pressing plant, so they might as well send "something"...)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Then there are many lemons out there. The issue isn't with reading the DVD, but to provide the most optimum output of the DVD. Natively, there is no problem, and 480p content looks like a postage stamp on screen (at 1080).

The second this native resolution is modified, the player will consider if it's in its best interest to provide a 1080p resolution with 240Hz processing, deep color, smooth transitioning, and a host of other features added to enhance only DVDs.

I can assure you there are some on this forum who have had their FUNimation DVDs lock up their players. I know this because they told me, so this isn't just a "lemon" player issue.

As an addendum, after having a chat with customer service, they recommended I allow the player to adjust these settings since I have a compatible television. Since then, I've not had a single issue but at a sacrifice of a noticeable difference in picture quality. Yes, the BD player just can't handle all the processing, which isn't saying much when most can't handle Avatar without problems.

Perhaps this is why FUNimation spends all that money doing these things for us then stamping out 1080p BDs so we can get the best? I best be careful here. That's a can of worms.
Wink
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
OK Media Blasters, this tears it. Either announce a Blu Ray set when you announce a release, or no more money from me. I'm getting pissed that whenever I buy a product of yours, a month or so later, a BR set is announced. I don't like to waste money, so let's work on that shall we?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I feel super burned because I wanted this show on BD (really, I want anything on BD... that's why I spent the $$$ on a HDTV and BD Player) but they said they weren't going to do BDs and I didn't want to not support a series I enjoyed. Then little more than a month later after people already purchased Part 1 they announce a BD set.

I won't be rebuying. I'd sooner import a set from somewhere like AU or the UK and pay shipping and a higher price than ever give MB my money again under any circumstances.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
<- ... facepalm

I just hope that at the very least they won't be DVD upscales like Funimation's Claymore.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
While that is good news for people who have Blu ray disc players they can have the whole first season, marketing the DVD version in two parts for the rest of us doesn't seem too good at all maybe it will be priced lower but having to pay for two parts separately well, hmm... should have been boxed as complete season one series as well. Sigh....
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would care.

BDs get the ultimate love. I've not had one stop on me yet.

As for the news... [fumes]

Or you could just toss a DVD into a DVD player and not bother with BD player compatibility issues or ID-10T errors.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
lilredphoenix wrote:
While that is good news for people who have Blu ray disc players they can have the whole first season, marketing the DVD version in two parts for the rest of us doesn't seem too good at all maybe it will be priced lower but having to pay for two parts separately well, hmm... should have been boxed as complete season one series as well. Sigh....

Actually, both DVD sets have been on sale for under $20 on Amazon, so you could get them for less than the bluray. I only paid $18.99 part 1, and have part two preordered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2