• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
While the art isn't great, it is plenty functional enough. I do not see it as a negative.

Panon wrote:
Is this a joke

As someone who has seen all of the Usagi Drop Anime and absolutely loved it, I can say with complete seriousness that it is not a joke. The Anime spoiler[did not include the timeskip] and the story was better for it, so why not do the same with the English-language edition of the Manga?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting to see what will be coming up on the next episodes of Bunny Drop that we will screen to the members of my anime club. Smile

I've been keen on reading the manga. I'm reluctant to blind-buy, if only because I have enough ongoing manga purchases on the table right now. I don't know how long I can hold out on that, however.

Ryujin99 wrote:

Also, there is a decent amount of foreshadowing to the end of the series as early as the 2nd or 3rd volume of the manga. It's just something that I'm sure a lot of people either don't, or refuse, to notice.

Are you referencing the scene where spoiler[Daikichi reads his grandfather's last message and obtains Rin's immunization and citizen papers]?

If so, I'm inclined to agree. I had a friend point out this particular detail to me when he simultaneously read and watched Bunny Drop, and gave his viewpoint and clarified a couple of things about the matter.

While I have yet to finish the anime and read the manga, your opinions match my own almost perfectly. I appreciate this output, along with a couple of other users.
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Let's just be thankful it did not glorify lolicon. The ending may be strange and upsetting, but at least the actions depicted were not illegal or immoral.

exactly what my fears are about, even though its logical that problems and relationships change while growing up (it certainly could be an interesting point), it's the naive character of both main protagonists creating the unique vibe of the story. Destroying this by including some weird romance changes the whole point of the story.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But by the same token, just because some people want to read the whole series doesn't meant they should ruin for everyone who wants to have no bar of where the series ends up at.

Why should people have to use white-out and pretend that the story ends here? Why doesn't the company - in this case Yen Press - just not release the other chapters and end the story on a high note?

Umm, people can just not buy any more volumes or only buy the volumes they want to read. I can tell you right now that if Yen Press did what you suggested above, they would NEVER get another cent from me EVER. Well I would still purchase their products, but I buy all of it second hand so they no longer get a cent from me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
OnkelDittmeyer wrote:

Probably my expectations are far worse than reality, but i don't want to destroy this wonderful story for me...so i guess i'll end it with vol.4

And now for something completely different, as Mr. Python was wont to say: Wink Laughing

Joji Takahashi, Mika Mifune chosen as Japan's 'Partners of the Year'

TOKYO — Singer Joji Takahashi, 53, and his wife Mika Mifune, 29, have been named as “Partners of the Year,” an award given to ideal married couples.

They first met when Mifune was 13 years old and got married on her 16th birthday.

dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
A forty-year-old had a high-school age wife? And who knows if they stayed chaste in the three years beforehand. Well, I suppose he's living the dream. Lucky bastard.

I have a mate who is fifty-six and has a two-year-old son with his twenty-nine year-old partner. I'm not opposed to 'May-December' relationships, as long as both partners are equal.

The problem with Usagi Drop's ending is that the two are not equal. This is where I draw the line between unusual but acceptable relationships and those that are just plain creepy and morally wrong. That's my personal opinion, but given the outrage and outright disgust in some sectors I'm hardly alone in my views.

Rin's feelings are irrelevant, spoiler[Daikichi should not even contemplate having an 'adult' relationship with her, no matter how related (or rather, unrelated) the two may be.] It's that simple.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
Zenador wrote:
Also, I like the use of the series' tagline in the last sentence.

You noticed! Very Happy

On another note, clearly it was a naive hope of mine that the discussion for this review wouldn't revolve around the ending. Wink While I have not read past what Yen Press has released (as I've mentioned before, I don't read scans), I did look up the ending, in self-defense, really. It is distasteful to Western audiences but in keeping with a lot of classic Japanese literature, including The Tale of Genji. That doesn't make it better for us, and I'm not saying that just because it has literary precedent we shouldn't express our collective disgust, but it isn't totally out of the blue. Those who don't want to read it, fine. Don't. I've certainly stopped books before the terrible endings before, not to mention rewritten several endings for my own peace of mind. But calling for Yen Press to stop the series before it gets to the point where it disgusts you or makes you uncomfortable is a bit over the top. Warn people, yes. But let everyone make their own decisions.

Oh, and Nayu? Here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I did look up the ending, in self-defense, really. It is distasteful to Western audiences but in keeping with a lot of classic Japanese literature, including The Tale of Genji. That doesn't make it better for us, and I'm not saying that just because it has literary precedent we shouldn't express our collective disgust, but it isn't totally out of the blue.

That's why I think it's a cliche now, as it's been seen many times before (including celebrities), particularly as J-culture goes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
But calling for Yen Press to stop the series before it gets to the point where it disgusts you or makes you uncomfortable is a bit over the top. Warn people, yes. But let everyone make their own decisions.

If I remember correctly, either the French or the German licensee had cancelled Narutaru due to disturbing contents in later volumes; even Dark Horse Comics stopped at volume 7 at the end of 2005, with no sign of rescue. And how can we forget the manga cancelled because of this very forum? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

If I remember correctly, either the French or the German licensee had cancelled Narutaru due to disturbing contents in later volumes; even Dark Horse Comics stopped at volume 7 at the end of 2005, with no sign of rescue.

I think it was the French, because I remember looking in both that language and Italian to see if I could finish it after Dark Horse canceled it. So I guess that means the Italian licensee pulled the plug too... Rolling Eyes

dormcat wrote:
And how can we forget the manga cancelled because of this very forum? Wink

That's what worries me. Smile Luckily, it's available in French.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

That's what worries me. Smile Luckily, it's available in French.

That worries me too. Sadly I can only read English so if YP could cancel the rest I would have to resort to English scans to finish it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
But calling for Yen Press to stop the series before it gets to the point where it disgusts you or makes you uncomfortable is a bit over the top. Warn people, yes. But let everyone make their own decisions.

If I remember correctly, either the French or the German licensee had cancelled Narutaru due to disturbing contents in later volumes; even Dark Horse Comics stopped at volume 7 at the end of 2005, with no sign of rescue. And how can we forget the manga cancelled because of this very forum? Wink

EMA, the German publisher, finished the entire series and from what I heard, only made minor edits. The French edition was cancelled, but they're working on publishing the whole thing as we speak. IIRC, volume 10 came out a little while ago, so they're almost there Smile
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
A forty-year-old had a high-school age wife? And who knows if they stayed chaste in the three years beforehand. Well, I suppose he's living the dream. Lucky bastard.

I have a mate who is fifty-six and has a two-year-old son with his twenty-nine year-old partner. I'm not opposed to 'May-December' relationships, as long as both partners are equal.

The problem with Usagi Drop's ending is that the two are not equal. This is where I draw the line between unusual but acceptable relationships and those that are just plain creepy and morally wrong. That's my personal opinion, but given the outrage and outright disgust in some sectors I'm hardly alone in my views.

Rin's feelings are irrelevant, spoiler[Daikichi should not even contemplate having an 'adult' relationship with her, no matter how related (or rather, unrelated) the two may be.] It's that simple.

I believe Daikichi gave Rin spoiler[a cooling down period of 2 years to rethink about all of this and find a boy-friend in the mean time, since Daikichi made it clear that he can never see Rin as a lover, he still saw her as a daughter. After that two years cooling down period Rin still wants to be together with Daikichi, she just doesn't care what other people thinks about her. In the end she's not even related to Daikichi, which actually makes no sense to me, it's more a deus ex machina to me, and it's the whole point that Rin is Grandpa's daughter at the beginning of the manga, isn't it?]

I myself didn't find it too creepy like others did, but it's still kinda weird. Also the manga didn't really have the right length to build up such relationship. The manga should have been longer to give those two time to grow such relation while enduring the hardship because of such relationship, perhaps another timeskip 'till Rin is in her late 20s/early 30s. Although I have wanted that Daikichi would have ended up with spoiler[Kouki's mom, but she suddenly has a boyfriend and is also going to marry, it's so sad for Daikichi.] Well, if Usagi Drop's ending is creepy, then Woody Allen would be even more creepier, since he's the father of his adoptive daughter with his former-wife (although he's not really married with Mia Farrow if I understand it correctly), and yet he married his adoptive daughter. But in the end Woody Allen is still a good actor, playwright, screenwriter and director, and in the end they are happy with each other.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Daikichi spoiler[should not have even given her the two years cooling down period, instead he should have shut down her fantasy right then and there.]

And spoiler[Woody Allen's marriage to his step-daughter is no worse than Daikichi and Rin. In fact it is arguably not as bad, as Daikichi was Rin's sole guardian from the age of six.]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Daikichi spoiler[should not have even given her the two years cooling down period, instead he should have shut down her fantasy right then and there.]

Feel free to write a fan fiction.

What's your problem, mate? If you don't like the ending, just don't spend money on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4