• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Why would it matter whether it was representative of culture or not though? Look at all the modern remakes of Shakespeare plays.

Indeed. I'm only referring to the idea a lot of people seem to have that "disliking the ending" is caused by the fact that you are a "western reader", while Japanese readers wouldn't mind since it's "their culture" or because they will immediately consider it a reference to Genji, or anything along these lines.
As said before, there have been plenty of negative or "huh? what was that?" reactions from Japanese readers as well. So, I think these reactions to the ending are decided on a much more personal basis than simply "western audience vs japanese audience". That's all.

I'm actually surprised that there are only 4 volumes out in English. I got the feeling Yen Press started releasing Bunny Drop already years ago. But seems that only 2 new volumes come out each year (it doesn't sell well I guess?) ... it will still take so long to finish o_O;
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I believe the age of consent in Japan is legally 13, but culturally that gets frowned upon until at least 16.

Most if not all prefectures have already raised AOE to at least 16, plus parental consent. That's why the 37-yr-old J-singer guy had to wait 3 years till she's 16, with parental consent too! Laughing

Mohawk52 wrote:

I do however find it curious that if the author was trying to provoke an epiphany to Japanese to try and reverse historic prejudices toward illegitimate children, she sure torpedos that effort with an ending like that, but hey, nothing's perfect. Wink

What are ya talking about? Everybody in Japan already knows that little brides are just there for grooming. It's their heritage. Twisted Evil

On a more serious note though, "illegitimate" children in Japan is a big deal because it follows the child like a permanent record (for some reason, the Japanese government, hospitals and schools, etc. care too much who the identity of both parents). It can get quite hard to file paperworks when the child's family registry is not "proper." And it carries a stigma around the neighborhood.

errinundra wrote:

I think its more problematical legally that spoiler[Daikichi knew they weren't related from very early on but didn't let on to anybody as it would have prevented them living together.]

Yeah, if her spoiler[biological father was alive, found out about it, then wanted her back], would he had given them his parental consent? Would he had considered it grooming and have him arrested? Shocked
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
I wish people would shut up about the ending. This is volume 4, can we discuss volume 4? I don't know what the ending is and i DON'T WANT TO KNOW what the ending is until i read the final volume. -_-

I am with ss-hikaru on this. I wrote a review of volume 4, and while I am thrilled to see so much discussion, s/he is right and we really should stick to discussing the reviewed content. I realize I have been guilty of this off-topic posting as well, but it really is time to get back on track, and quite possibly to stay there. When I or someone else reviews volumes 8 and 9, then we can talk about the ending.

/teacher voice
miken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
unattractive art.

uhm.... no.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:
I wish people would shut up about the ending. This is volume 4, can we discuss volume 4? I don't know what the ending is and i DON'T WANT TO KNOW what the ending is until i read the final volume. -_-

I am with ss-hikaru on this. I wrote a review of volume 4, and while I am thrilled to see so much discussion, s/he is right and we really should stick to discussing the reviewed content. I realize I have been guilty of this off-topic posting as well, but it really is time to get back on track, and quite possibly to stay there. When I or someone else reviews volumes 8 and 9, then we can talk about the ending.

/teacher voice

This.

Volume 4 is one of my favourite volumes of the series so far. I really like how Daikichi and Kouki's mum interact with each other, and I wish they'd get together at some point. The art is certainly different from a lot of manga, but I do think it's attractive in its own way. I find it kind of childish, which suits the series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
i don't like the last vol. Because of the last vol, i can't rank this manga high and i won't support it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Review quote wrote:
Haruko has left home for reasons she doesn't care to mention at first, and her cousin is flummoxed by this decision. In Daikichi's mind, Haruko is a wife and mother, and those things should come before personal concerns. In fact, it is questionable whether or not Daikichi sees Haruko as even having concerns outside of those roles.

I think this quote was a bit unfair, as it's putting quite a lot of words in Daikichi's mouth. Judging by the things he said or thought during the whole arc, I got the idea that his biggest concern was about Haruko making the rest of the family worried about them. OK, maybe Reika the most, but.... yeah.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
I see what you mean, Northlander. I read the Haruko chapters as I did because of the overreaching theme of "me time" versus "parenting time," which I felt led to Daikichi's confusion. (I was all set to quote the book to back myself up, but my sister took it to her house. Confused ) The way he pondered Haruko's statements about wanting to remain a child also seemed to lead me in that direction. On the other hand, my interpretation may also stem from the fact that as my friends have children I begin to see their identities morph - where once someone was "Martha," now she is known to most people as "Johnny's mother." It's an interesting phenomenon - and it does happen with men too, increasingly - and I think that it is one that Unita is exploring with Daikichi's musings this time around.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, that I can understand. (As much as one who doesn't have children can anyway.) Which is curious, because whenever I get asked for my name from the locals where I live, I'm usually the "son of [either of my parents]". (Usually my mother, mostly because my father was the "immigrant" so to speak, where I live.) But I think people tend to do that to get more of an oversight of the family tree rather than start tallying expectations as parents.

If I were to interpret the arc itself, I'm guessing the main concern is Haruko's feeling of solitude, even among the members of the family she married into. Work is keeping her husband away most of the time, and she probably doesn't connect well with the others. (For reasons that unfortunately never gets explored.) The montage of her basically walking around in complete solitude reinforced this, at least for me.

Then again, there was a lot of questions I had that the manga didn't go into. I'm going to assume that Haruko at least tried talking it out with her extended family (the one she married into), which probably lead nowhere, which again lead to making her choose to run off to Daikichi. Funnily enough, I kind of understood where Daikichi was going: he didn't have much of an idea of what went on in that family -- how could he, with the scant amount of details he got from her -- so he did basically the best he could given the circumstance; giving her an opportunity to drop by more often if she wanted to. And that's the reason the part I quoted came off a little wrong to me. It made it sound like Daikichi was of the opinion that Haruko should just tough it out for the sake of Reina, when the arc ended with him giving her the chance to do the complete opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4