• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
just watched the last episode. pretty good ending. spoiler[i didn't expect the bird to be Warp's mother. the only thing i don't get where the third Warp came from at the end. didn't fake warp destroy all the clones? also does the real Warp have amnesia at the end, since he gave his memories to Kaiba?]

spoiler[There was a quick mention that the 99th? generation with perfect DNA being ready. So even if the facility was destroyed the 3rd Warp would not be destroyed do to his invulnerability to outside attacks.]

As to why Warp in Chroniko body and Neiro in the bomber body would have an attraction is the idea of love at first sight, kinda. Neiro with her spoiler[memories altered hated the image of Warp, but not Warp.] With the image missing she only had his personality and soul to judge by. spoiler[The same as when she first met him and fell in love]. If she knew who he was then I'm sure her actions would have been different. One of the major ideas seems to be that memories are part of you, but they are not you. With the art work as it is I'm sure many people will not get passed the preview which seems to fit the story of the show as well, almost none of the characters are what they first appear to be. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but it does show the old adage that you can't judge a book by its cover, all the characters and the art were not what they seemed.

I wish that I spoke Japanese for this show so that I could have spent more time seeing all of the great art instead of having to pay attention to the subtitles. I doubt that it will but I hopefully it will come the States so I can buy it. It would be great to have more shows like this that are unlike everything else out now.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is somewhat disappointed?

One could argue that I had my mind set for a show and was/am against the direction it took in the second half, and I could understand that, but I wouldn't agree. The series undergoes so many spastic tonal and narrative changes that I'd swear Yuasa and company were doing LCD during production of this. (Yeah, that's a cliché, but what can ya do?)

I like certain aspects of these last episodes. The visuals, particularly the last episode, knock the fudge out of most anime ever made. It's an overload on the senses, so it that respect the art is a perfect compliment to the haphazard nature of the narrative.

While somewhat predictable, spoiler[Popo's backstory does lead me to sympathize with the guy. And Sate's betrayal is also rather convincing, considering Popo's megalomania up until that point.]

But then we get into territory that just makes me believe that Yuasa needs to write another anime without a plot, like Mind Game. He's soooooo damn good at the more intimate and personal moments that provide an audience to the characters (the drunken scene in episode ten is a prime example), yet when writing convoluted plots he can falter.

I'm just not a fan of providing explanations, backgrounds and plot "revelations" when it's only convenient for the story. The drive seems to shift to this type of storytelling starting in episode eight. Sure, certain elements make sense, but there's no natural build-up to them. Kichi's clumsy exposition in episode nine (his whole character, actually, is very problematic to me) still stands out in my mind. Or the plot of how there are all these various political machinations that are referred to, but we are never actually shown. Hell, those are very interesting concepts, but the delivery of them feel so slapdash that I never actually feel involved. It's not giving proper context to the subject.

And there are other misgivings, such as the fact that the obsession with evolution is completely out of left field (oh yeah, and Eva and Lain already deal with it far better), but I feel that I'll began to ramble.

I do wonder how Kaiba would have turned out with, say, 24-26 episodes. Not really feeling involved in the world (or universe, in this case) could have been corrected if given more episodes to develop the setting. And I might have actually bought into the tyranny and resistance angle that Yuasa is going for.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Am I the only one who is somewhat disappointed?
Nope.

The simple thought that Kaiba just wasn't well planned ever since the beginning seems more than plausible. It showed amazing potential on those one-shot episodes, but it was very confusing whenever it returned to the main plot. You can see that there are a lot of interesting ideas floating around, but very few are well utilized. Maybe it was the excess of trying to use them all that weakened the plot as a whole.

All in all, I couldn't agree more with HellKorn's point of view. Especially about the lack of immersion with the world of Kaiba.

I can't help but feel sad that this just didn't work out. Whenever I watch something from Yuasa, I keep hoping for a commercial success. He has a lot of talent and creativity. Crying or Very sad Being critically acclaimed is nice and all, but enchanting the masses with something original to the medium would mean a lot in a big perspective.

Greater the expectation, bigger the letdown.
Charles Dickens wrote:
Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
At the begining, Kaiba wasn't like anything I have seen in a while. Each of the early episodes dripped with sheer genius in terms of the art, music, characters and the weirdness and creativity surrounding the Kaiba universe, which all made waiting for the next episode rather agonizing.

However, after spoiler[Vanilla's death], the series went downhill. I agree that Kichi/Cheki was poorly inserted and I hated every scene she appeared in, and while I liked the happy vibe of the ending, it certainly didn't feel fulfilling, due to some things not being given the development that it should.

Despite the disappointment brought by the latter episodes, I consider Kaiba the highlight of this season, and I don't know as of yet of any recent animated series that even comes close to the first seven episodes of this series.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I am really glad I picked up Kaiba. I admit, I fell asleep while watching first episode and put series aside. When I gave it another go, however, it drew me in. I love it.

Gorgeous OP, unique animation and art, classy music all combined with well written story make Kaiba stand out. Not everyone might like it's style, but for those who look for something different from most anime series: no need to look further.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've only seen half the first episode of it, but that half an episode had me in state of stupefied awe. The extremely unconventional character designs totally belies its beautiful animation. And from the way this first episode sets itself up, I know I'm going to be in for a real treat. In a time where anime is at its creative worst, this is such an incredible breath of fresh air.

And its totally original! It's not even based of a manga or anything. Amazing.
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba is fantastic for about 7 episodes. In the second half Yuasa brings in twist after twist that either make no sense or are so bluntly introduced that it left me wanting the series to be less big in scope. It worked so much better when it stuck to stand-alone episodes that were slowing, but surely, tying things together overall. It was kinda a disappointment in that regard.

It's consistently amazing when it comes to the visuals, though. Overall I would say it's very much worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba was my favourite anime of 2008. It was the first series I rated '10' on my anime list, though now we're on the topic, I'll probably go back to review that and knock it down to a 9 (It's brilliant, but not flawless).

I am a massive fan of Yuasa's style. Kemonozume, Mind Game and his episode of Genius Party all rank amongst my favourite works. I get sdrawn into the art each and every time, and the love it or hate it aspect just endears it to me that much more. Kaiba's plot, as has been mentioned, borders on convoluted at times. That's not to say I didn't like it (Far from it, I found it ultimately satisfying) but it's curveball after curveball and there's little time to process what's going on and who is actually who. It certainly warrants a rewatch because I've not visited Niero, Popo and the gang for too long now.

It's gorgeous, epic in scope and certainly in my top 10 of all time. Stick with it if it seems to get a bit crowded, your perseverence will pay off in spades Very Happy

I'd highly recommend checking out the other works by Yuasa I mentioned, especially Kemonozume. So underrated it's unreal.

[EDIT: Merged. -TK]
plotoside

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
I recently got a nice new TV and so dug up the high def rips of Kaiba to watch again, needless to say it left me wanting more. Has there been anything since that is remotely like Kaiba in visual or tonal style?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
I don't think so. Though, you should check out Yuasa's other works if you haven't already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
r3vival

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Even among his other work to me Kaiba stands out. The art style is definitely different but they are worth checking out if you like his trippy storytelling.
plotoside

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I've seen some of his other stuff, Mind Game was a blast, Kemonozume also interesting but the demon / horror genre is not quite my thing. I loved pretty much all the shorts in the two Genius Party series, that sort of thing is probably the type of anime I enjoy the most.

Anyway I'll be watching some Kaiba tonight, this time I'll just sit back and let the visuals wash over me now that I know the story - as others have said it is frustrating trying to both watch and read the subs Smile

I just had a look through the list of other stuff that Yuasa has worked on - didn't realise he was involved in Cat Soup and Noiseman Sound Insect, both of which I also enjoyed - and will try to dig up Tatami Galaxy and see if that tickles my fancy.

cheers & thanks once again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9