• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Candy Boy (ONA).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Now I never thought my eyesight to be greatest, but now I think it's reasonably well established I'm blind, and never have I been happier to come to such a conclusion.

Edit: While not 'light', nor an anime, Media Blasters has also licensed Maka Maka, so I think with something like that under their belt, Candy Boy doesn't seem too farfetched. If memory serves, both started on the internet alone. Granted one's a manga and the other's an anime, but such details should be trivial.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't even aware that Media Blasters had a Manga line...let alone one that could release something like Maka-Maka. Have they released manga before or is this a new venture...or am I just hecka out of the loop Confused
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Media Blasters has released some manga, but if it's any consolation, not much. Assuming ANN's encyclopedia entry for them is correct and up to date they've licensed (not necessarily released) 18 manga titles. I suppose depending on perspective that could be a lot, but I think that makes up a small percentage of their total ventures.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I nearly had a cuteness overload while watching it.

haha, that is about the best way to phrase it.

I personally love the two main voice actresses... they are doing a fantastic job with the subtle inflictions of voice. Like whoa. The blond's reaction whenever her cheek gets pinched is priceless, and I love the brunette's drier personality.

I'm already thinking an R1 release of this would be pretty fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this looks to be one of the series I will enjoy most this season.

It is Yuri and incest, yuri = good, incest = ambiguous and situational

In this case I find the incest to be a good point rather than a detriment, it makes the already peculiar relationship more 'exciting'.

Rather than looking for technical merits or that kind of nonsense I look for the way the show makes me feel and watching the two of them hold hands and so clearly enjoy one another's company makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, that alone makes the series a winner in my book. Also, super deformed chibi is always welcome in a series like this.

The yuri element is obviously a major part but they've as of yet avoided any scenes of heavy fanservice, again a plus.

So what we've got here is a series of warm fuzziness.

(okay, why didn't this come up when I searched for it? I checked pages of thread titles and not one of them matched...)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So then the first DVD containing the first two (labeled, I should say) episodes has been released. And interestingly enough, it contains an extra episode which is labeled Candy Boy EX 1. And with it, spoiler[the gist of that episode is that Yukino and Kanade just arrived at their new dorm, and Kanade is complaining at a bunch of the little things like how their dorm is not secured and how their room is far too small. Yukino reassures her sister by telling her not to sweat over them she she'll always be with her! Embarassed

Of course it's the ending scene that made it cute....

Yukino: 'Ne, Kana-chan.'
Kanade: 'What?'
Yukino: 'Let's sleep together, Kana-chan, this way, it'll be alot warmer, surely.'
Kanade: 'Wha-? Uumm.'
Yukino: 'Ka-na-chan~.'
Kanade: 'Maa, mou, can't help it then.'
Yukino: 'Yay! Yatta!'
Yukino: 'Kana-chan, daisuki~! [I like you~!]'
Kanade: 'Yes, I know, I know.'
Yukino: 'Ehh? You don't feel that way too, Kana-chan?'
Kanade: 'Uh, su-ki desu [I like it].' Anime catgrin ]

Now when the heck are they going to work on and release Episode 3?!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, it's Episode 3! Surprised

Shizuku, Kanade's and Yukino's sister, finally gets introduced! spoiler[And Shii-chan showed jealously towards the sisters' relationship and not to mention resentment towards Kanade specifically. The end of the episode was somewhat of a cliffhanger.]

Now as for the amusing parts, courtesy to Sakuya:

spoiler[- Sakuya getting a nosebleed over her and Kanade in a hot spring. Her and her silly imaginations!

- Sakuya molesting everything in Kanade's room.

- Sakuya ending up getting knocked out and tied up in the guestroom! Laughing ]

Now back to grieving waiting period of episode 4! Crying or Very sad
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not in the habit of calling things "sweet", but this anime definitely deserves that description. There's more to it than just yuri+incest=hawt. There's an intimacy between the sisters that may or may not have a transgressive element, but in the end that doesn't matter because it's so well portrayed.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3? Time for someone to update the encyclopedia then, because it only lists two episodes, one unreleased.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
The DVD extra episode is missing too. I'm not sure how to enter that because it's called episode "EX01", so I'll just stick to entering episode 3 for now.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay, it's the GOOD subs for Episode 4!

spoiler[Tensions rise with the relationship between the twins and their little sister becoming rather brittle. It seems like Shii-chan felt totally left out considering that the twins were going to school away from her.

Things were fixed once she confessed to them about her feelings.]

And we wait for Episode 5 which officially comes out at 12/29.
The Neon Valentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I've watched all the episode released so far in one sitting, including that prequel one...

What a cute series! I find it so...interestingly progressive to portray an incestous romance so tenderly.

Definately one of the best yuri to be released in a while, at least since Simoun.

- neon
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Yay, it's the GOOD subs for Episode 4!

I don't think it matters how good the subs are, episode 4 still looks more like a radio play with a few pictures thrown in for good measure rather than animation. I'm hoping that was for reasons other than the episode budget being slashed.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
OH SNAP, it's Episode 5! And oh GOD the amount of cuteness utterly KILLED ME, and not to mention how this episode has gotten pretty gayer! Shocked Embarassed

For the most part it was a Valentine's themed episode. And no words can describe the....

spoiler[- The really funky dream Kanade had of Yukino! (click me!)

- Foxgirl Yukino....nibbling.....(click me!)

- I guess it wasn't a dream after all! Laughing (click me!)

- Bwahaha, my what a suggestive position! Cool (click me!)

- More finger-licking fun with Yukino getting the receiving end (or it could be the other way around depending on your point of view Wink) (click me!)]

So, SO CUTE! Anime hyper

Oh god now the agonizing wait of Episode 6!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
So there's Peach Girl, Marmalade Boy and now Candy Boy. I'm not in a position to say whether or not this trend in naming series is a lucrative one, but perhaps it suggests those with a sweet tooth make up a substantial amount of the market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3