• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
I'd have to nominate The Twelve Kingdoms as a series that really deserves a sequel. I would have been perfectly fine had it ended on episode 39 even though spoiler[nothing was resolved with Taiki], but they just had to continue the show with more episodes involving a new story with new characters only for it to end it abruptly. I haven't read any of the novels but I think by now there should be enough material for them to create a second 40+ episode series.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
While I don't agree with some of the overrated anime responses, most of them made their cases well. In most cases it seems like just a case of having different tastes.

The One Piece entry went off the tracks a bit, though. "Nearly everything is edited?" Um, not since about seven or eight years ago. 4kids is pretty much the only company that does heavy cuts anymore, and One Piece was severely edited even by their standards. It's fine not to like a show, but telling people they're not allowed to take exception to a hackjob is just silly. Heavily edited dubs are bad for all fans, not just fans of that show.

Anyway, here are my top four shows that need sequels:

4) Yugo: While everything is resolved at the end, the way the show is structured just makes you want to see where Yugo will be off to next. And the concept of letting a different director do each arc left me wondering how some other directors would interpret Yugo.

3) Rurouni Kenshin: I know it's never going to happen, but a proper animated version of the Revenge Saga would still be wonderful.

2) Berserk: Perhaps the most painful cliffhanger ending in animation history. Yeah, this is probably the most obvious choice there is, but there's a reason for that.

1) Princess Nine: At least one, possibly two more seasons are built right into the premise: The girls were given three years to win the championship, but at the end of the series only one year has passed. The finale also seems to send up a great big "WE WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER SEASON" message from the creators. But I guess it didn't do well enough to justify one.
Navak

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:40 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I correctly predicted the onslaught of Naruto and Evangelion responses for this week's question. I now predict that next week's will be a whole lot of people saying Berserk! The problem with making a second series for that of course is that well, there's no good stopping point for THAT either.

I have been outflanked but I will still say Berserk.

12 Kingdoms is my, hugely distant, second at the moment.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
This went pretty much like i thought it would. I would have to agree with the people claiming NGE. It is by no means a bad show. I would actually say that it it is very good, but i don't consider tobe aywhere near great. For some reason i always have a though time stomaching Gainax's shows.

v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?

Oh i got a few. Most shows done by Bones is better overall IMO and Black lagoon succeeded better at being a "cool gangster show about people doing odd jobbs".

For my list of animes in need of a sequel:

1)12 kingdoms They had a very good ending point at episode 39 but they just had to give out 6 more episodes which started a new arc.

2) Berserk I don't care if they take the Hellsing route or just make a 2nd season for the anime. The 1st episode demands a decent followtrough.

3) 3X3 eyes A little obscure, i know, but they ended the 2nd OVA right where the real meat of the story began to unfold. It's like what Naruto would have been if they ended it after the fight with Gaara.

[Edit] Ok i read trough the thread and if the question was regarding the same category the i agree that there's not much of a competition since, well, there are no other contestants Rolling Eyes
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
hmm. i'll take a Denno Coil sequel. i'll also take another round of Black Lagoon.

oh! and if they could finish GANTZ, that'd be great!

[edit] yes, i know gantz manga is still ongoing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
As I expected, the "overrated" shows were the usual suggested ones, without much original insight. Thinking about it, though, I doubt I could offer much new insight into the few programs I deem overrated, because they've already been discussed to death. Perhaps Wolf's Rain, which just seems to throw away its potential.

Anyway, as far as anime that deserve a sequel, to say that a production deserves a sequel is different than saying it needs one, or should have one. There are plenty of shows which are amazing that, while have merited a sequel through their excellent quality, would probably not require one, and might even be dilluted if they had one. Hell, a lot of shows that deserve a sequel can't possibly have one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?

Oh i got a few. Most shows done by Bones is better overall IMO and Black lagoon succeeded better at being a "cool gangster show about people doing odd jobbs".

It's funny that you say that when many of the people that worked on Cowboy Bebop would move on to work on several titles by Bones. I wouldn't put it under the same category as Black Lagoon for several reasons, one being that Black Lagoon didn't try to blend quite as many genres together. They both may have involved people finding themselves doing odd jobs but Cowboy Bebop took itself far less seriously and was more episodic, with more emphasis on revealing bits and pieces of each characters past than having a compelling plot or story. IMO the only show that can quite compare to Cowboy Bebop in terms of style would be Watanabe's other television work as director, Samurai Champloo.

loka wrote:
oh! and if they could finish GANTZ, that'd be great!

They'd have to pretend that the last arc and crappy ending never happened and just follow closely to the manga if they ever decide to make a sequel. It's a real shame Gantz ended the way it did because it was one of few Gonzo titles that I really enjoyed.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
I agree with Nabari no oh as well, and it wont be suffering for the runaway energizer bunny syndrome as it's only 26 eps

as for a sequel, Has to be Fruits Basket, I honestly enjoy the animated version better (easier to tell people apart) and there is now a complete second half that the animators could use Very Happy

alternatively Kare Kano would also be great to get the ending of but I don't think that's very likely while Fruba has a chance after all

o yes and Loveless, the ending was a blatant cry for a second season but it just never happened
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
An anime I think is overrated? The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I kept hearing what a masterpiece and how great it was and... the art severely disappointed me. I was expecting something great and masterpiece-ish, it wasn't. Not only that, I'm under the impression that Haruhi is a Mary Sue. No thanks, if I want goddesses and craziness, I'll stick with my Tenchi Muyo! (I'm so glad they got most of the original dub cast for it, but sad they couldn't find Ryoko's).

What could use a sequel? Inu Yasha. They just cut the damn thing off and you're left going "that's it? I sat through 150 plus episodes just to watch them leave at a cliff hanger and abruptly end the series?"
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'll second Black Lagoon, loka. I am hoping this already being planned for, and it's just a matter of enough of the manga being released to cover another full series.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Nothing! Very Happy
Yukihime

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
I really don't like the word "Over-rated" each person has their own opinions and if a lot of people opinions on a peticuliar anime or manga is good and a lot of people like it, and it isn't undeserving in it's fame.

But hey, to each his own.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
I don't really agree with DBZ being overrated. You simply have to take it for what it is, a dang entertaining action show with superpowers. It's not great literature, but it is a whole lot of fun.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
Full_Metal1923 wrote:

It was shown within the movie. Not much really happened. Everyone kind of fell into a depression without Edward around. spoiler[Alphonse trained with Izumi, and Roy almost completely giving up on the use of alchemy.] I think a bit of perspective on how Alphonse's training could've provided some further non-direct insight on how the characters were holding up but for the most part I think it was well established in the movie.

- I'm all up for the Family Feud game Razz

They sort of did explain it yes, but at the same time, spoiler[they didn't really dwell much with Mustang on how bad it gotten to where he decided to drop the ranks he did and be out in "seclusion" as it were. Not to mention, how long did it take exactly for....Rosembool (sp?) to truly recover after the past altercations and the military getting more or less on their good side now.] That's kind of what I meant.

....I'd probably get some of the middle answers more than likely if I joined in on the "ANIME FEUD" game. Rolling Eyes
spoiler[The balance of the imiltary would ]be a good inclusion but otherwise, I think the rest you mentioned could be left out wthout a problem, as it was. spoiler[After the ending it was all about Edward, and Alphonse reuniting really. ]Not much focus was given to the other characters.
BRD529

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Overrated?

Naruto - the cosplayers are past the point of being obnoxious

Eva - Good show Gainax, but how much longer can you milk it?

Anything Cartoon Network is airing - I'm glad you kids like anime, but there are other (better) shows out there for you to get all OCD about.

Sequel worthy?

Claymore - Now that the manga has gained some ground, ignore the anime ending, and continue on!

Gunsmith Cats - Another series more centered on the manga would be awesome.

Boogiepop - Animating one, or two, of the novels would be great to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7