• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa, YouTube to Share Ads on User-Generated Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Personally, I am just glad Kadokawa is able to make some extra money. Because they are involved in several anime series, so this is good for them.

I just hope they only allow the best of the best and ignore the cut and paste video's that constantly foat around on the internet.

The economy isn't great, so power to Youtube and Kadokawa for steping out of the box.

They're also almost comically money grubbing though to the point where I picture their CEO as a Scrooge McDuck type personality. They'll find a way to make this backfire I'm sure, be it through overkill or just plain trying to police their products to much with this hands on approach.

Their anything for a quick buck mentality really irks me and has led to more then a few bad decisions regarding certain TV anime series. For example forcibly inserting advertising for their products into anime series and making it painfully obvious that they are there as if the viewers are too stupid to notice on their own. This is something SEGA pioneered arguably for the worse in their later Dreamcast years and look where they've ended up.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I've brought this up before a couple of times, although things have advanced a little since then.

Quote:
forcibly inserting advertising for their products into anime series and making it painfully obvious that they are there as if the viewers are too stupid to notice on their own. This is something SEGA pioneered arguably for the worse in their later Dreamcast years and look where they've ended up.

The first games I remember with advertising were Zool (Chupa Chups) and Superfrog (Lucozade) and that was long before the Dreamcast was thought of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I wanna get paid! Laughing
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
They're also almost comically money grubbing though to the point where I picture their CEO as a Scrooge McDuck type personality. They'll find a way to make this backfire I'm sure, be it through overkill or just plain trying to police their products to much with this hands on approach.

Their anything for a quick buck mentality really irks me and has led to more then a few bad decisions regarding certain TV anime series. For example forcibly inserting advertising for their products into anime series and making it painfully obvious that they are there as if the viewers are too stupid to notice on their own. This is something SEGA pioneered arguably for the worse in their later Dreamcast years and look where they've ended up.

Someone is still very bitter about Lucky Star I see.

Or it could possibly be that Kadokawa is trying to be fan friendly, started looking at the MADs and their popularity, and said "Wow, some of these are amusing. Maybe we can do something instead of deleting them."
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Or it could possibly be that Kadokawa is trying to be fan friendly, started looking at the MADs and their popularity, and said "Wow, some of these are amusing. Maybe we can do something instead of deleting them."

Nah. It's making lemonade out of lemons. If driving the creators underground didn't work then you might as well make some money off of the best of them instead.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Personally, I am just glad Kadokawa is able to make some extra money. Because they are involved in several anime series, so this is good for them.

I just hope they only allow the best of the best and ignore the cut and paste video's that constantly foat around on the internet.

The economy isn't great, so power to Youtube and Kadokawa for steping out of the box.

Though this plan of Kadokawa may make them sound like money pinchers, think of all of the people who only download anime and never purchase the acutal copy?

Realistically speaking, if there is a legal way for a company to make revenue, then the action is justififed. Remember what happend to Geneon? I don't have solid evidence that clearly states the reason why Geneon closed, but based off the economy at that time, I am sure lack of people actually buying dvds were the case.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
But the MADs that they are aiming for would have come from people who have access to the physical media to obtain source material to make the videos. This is different from watching a fansub or raw video.
Kevin_Clouser

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
This isn't really that new.

Universal Music Group has been doing the same thing recently for the past few months. Basically, if they ID the mp3 you use in your AMV, they will flag it for copyright violations. Most of the time, they allow the AMV to stay online, and just slap advertisements on the page. I don't really have any problems with what they are doing...it is their material, and they have every right to make dollar off of it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But the MADs that they are aiming for would have come from people who have access to the physical media to obtain source material to make the videos. This is different from watching a fansub or raw video.

The people watching are still not paying. Fansubs and raws still rely on one legitimate seed copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
Nowadays, MAD-makers (which is, AFAIK, the name Japanese give to their "amv" videos) are increasingly relying on fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2