• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite form of fan expresion?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime is something that allows fans to express themselves in many ways. With fan art, fan fics, fan parodies, fan sites, AMVs, Cosplay, LARP, modeling/kitbashing, toy customizing, and anything else you can think of, I'm curious what peoples favorite form of fan expression is. Also if it isn't too much trouble go ahead and explaine why.

My favorite is AMVs, quality ranges from simple music set to clips (blah...) to very technical works that require state-of-the-art video editing techniques (watch "Shameless Rock Video", it's an FLCL video and there's nothing out there like it.) My next favorites are probably fan parodies, fan art, customizing and modeling/kitbashing, cosplay and so on.

What about the rest of you.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:32 am Reply with quote
Myself, I love writing fanfiction. I enjoy AMV's, I enjoy building models, but fanfiction gives me the chance to explore things that weren't explored in the series, or resolve things the way I'd like to see them resolved. In fact, fanfiction was the very first thing I did in anime fandom.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:39 am Reply with quote
I like watching cosplay. I haven't really found anyone that I would reallyreally enjoy dressing as (though I did do Rally Vincent one year), but I love watching the people that pull it off well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ghoti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:07 am Reply with quote
As for me, I like drawing (various styles and techniques)...

This is something that I enjoy. It gives me pleasure, feeling of doing something creative, and is helluva lot of fun! Smile
BC Anime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:18 am Reply with quote
i like fanart =D
i haven't drawn much lately cause of school starting and vacation and stuff, but i've done ff art, dbz art, mtg art, and others
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:55 am Reply with quote
I really like building models too (espcially the MG and HGUC Gundam models)... Unfortunately, I've run out of space in my room Confused . I'm actually not too expessive that I am anime fan out in public... I guess you can call it being a closet otaku.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am Reply with quote
i really like cosplay/conventions. nothing beats being around people who have the same interests as you do, and you can be your anime-obsessed crazy self without getting strange looks. damn school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:01 am Reply with quote
I don't fansub (in some people eyes, that is a way.) Confused But I'm trying to work on a AMV once I finally have some free time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:45 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I can do that cosplay stuff...
Supposedly it is pretty fun to do, but if I ever did cosplay I would have to go as an anonymous MS pilot. Figure a flight suit, combat boots, a leather bomber jacket, order a few Feddy patches... and woola! A Fed pilot 0083 style.
arllyra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Considering I don't DO much anime-wise except watch it....

I think I enjoy taking in AMV's the most. Many are hilarious, or really well-put-together. I know Kusoyaro is pretty much a stamp of a good AMV, in my book. Consistently good work there.
I also do enjoy taking in cosplay. I think I spent most of my time at my first convention just gawking at the people in costumes. It's too bad I'm camera shy from both sides of the camera, 'cause I missed about 75% of the good costumes because I was too shy to ask for pics. Ah, well. There's always next year.
Fansubbing is my 3rd favorite fan expression at this point, since these very generous souls put a lot of time and energy into making sure we fans get our fixes of stuff that's not licensed in the States. Until I actually learn the language, fansubbers are my lifeline.
Meson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:58 am Reply with quote
Webcasting soundtracks is my form of fan expression. It's like having a news site like ANN, but larger and more complex in scope and content. Buying CDs, encoding them, making playlists, making sure those lists are legal, setiing everything up to play,paying royalties and server fees, and so on, and that doesn't include any live events that I have planned for the future. Check it out from time to time. I bet you will enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Sad I'm the only fic-writer.... doesn't anyone out there still put pen to paper to encapsulate thought and emotion?.....

Maybe I should get to work on my Initial D AMV set to Don't Look Back by Boston.....
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Anything with nudity.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:47 pm Reply with quote
fics! I write fics, plenty of em! But i think cons in a whole are better than fics in a way. you can't really converse with fans, unless they email you personally, so...but fics are good too :p
arllyra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst:
I DO write, but not about anime or manga. I feel that I would be paying disrespect to the stories I love so much by either expanding or changing a storyline.
Here's where i frantically add that I'm not going to force my particular beliefs on anyone else.
Sometimes fanfics are amusing. Sometimes they even go off in a way I would've liked to have seen animated, or on some whole other trip I'd never foreseen. But, for the most part, I prefer to leave those holes to my own imagination. The closest I'd ever come to advertising these thoughts is "what if" conversations with friends.
I prefer to work with my own characters. Not shape someone else's into something I want them to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2