• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Announces New Manga Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Why are they announcing new titles after announcing they are cutting a ton of old titles and not finishing some series? I'm not too happy with this at all... They let the fans down who were getting the other titles...

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the only ones they specifically cut permanently are some of the ELO manga. The normal manga, they just pulled from solicitations and/or postponed them.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, Kaicho wa Maid-sama and Togainu no Chi in 1 day? This is almost too good to comprehend. Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
Why are they announcing new titles after announcing they are cutting a ton of old titles and not finishing some series? I'm not too happy with this at all... They let the fans down who were getting the other titles...

Have they specifically announced they're cutting any titles? From my understanding they're just going to be releasing fewer volumes per year.

The status of most or all manga are unclear at the moment. I'm not sure if any manga have been confirmed canceled. However, they have definitely canceled several novels. Frankly, they aren't going to be able to reach their projected goal (cutting their number of releases in half) without canceling titles. Titles that have been removed from solicitations are, with perhaps a few exceptions, as good as canceled.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
More Natsuki Takaya stuff? Hurrah! Hopefully it's as good as Furuba.

Also, hurrah for the .hack//GU novel! I've just started getting into the world of The World, so I'll prolly buy this (as well as the other .hack novels published by Tokyopop)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
First Phantom Dream and now O Motsu Mono. TP's really cleaning up with Takaya's manga. Now if they could just announce Twinkle Stars, I could die happy. Anime hyper Come to think of it, I don't much care who gets it, so long as it is licensed, and with any luck, sooner rather than later.

Quite a number of series I recognized, and some I doubt-- equally happy about 'em all! Maid-sama I've only read a little bit, but it seemed okay. And I'm all for more .hack. Anime catgrin
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
.HACK//G.U NOVEL!!!1 <3
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasa o Motsu Mono?! Sweet!!!! Anime hyper I was so happy when Natsuki Takaya's Phantom Dream was announced a while ago, but now that Tsubasa is announced as well, I'm ecstatic! Thank you so much, Tokyopop, for being interested in Takaya-sensei's other works! Now, I can only hope that her other works will be picked up and published as well. I still want to know a few more details about the changes going on at Tokyopop and their affected titles when the people there are allowed to share more about what's going on, but this news will sooth my frustration--for now. Cool
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware there even was a Konomimi anime. Has it been confirmed that they are changing the title from "This Ugly and Beautiful World" to "This Ugly yet Beautiful World" like ADV did?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm all over Togainu no Chi, though it does seem strange to have new titles when they just did cut backs, but it is possible that they have these in the workings for a while and waited till now to announce them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're still picking up light novels. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more light novels translated, but I don't understand the decision from a business perspective. light novels typically retail for less than graphic novels, but require 10 times more work to translate so it seems to me there would be significantly less profits per unit sold.

/me makes plans to order more light novels anyway to encourage more to be translated. even if it doesn't make sense.
erilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Like others posting, I have to wonder how can they be anouncing more licenses when they are going to cut back? Does that mean even though the announced the license now, it will be 2-3 years until we see anything? I have to wonder about the industry right now, companies keep buying up licenses, then cancelling or posting series.

I am at the point I buy no anime until they whole series is released. I can't stand uncompleted sets. As for manga, it is nice that so many of my titles are licensed, but I hate having to wait years for them to show up on the shelves. The scanlators tend to stop finishing the title, so I never know how they end. Since there is a huge lag between the license and release, I honestly forget about the title never buy them.

I think the industry really needs to get a handle on what the fans want and try and make some money before they crash and burn. I rather them cut back on what they are releasing and licensing so it can be better quality (both in DVD and manga). I don't know how many times I have bought a manga and the print is so bad so I can't read it- or words are chopped off- or you can't read anything near the middle since the binding is so bad. At $9.99 and up, I would expect a better product.

I still love my anime and especially manga, so I will keep buying to support the industry even though I am so frustrated by all the companies. I know they want a positive bottom line, but you have to stop overextending yourself otherwise you just go under. Look at Geneon! They are gone even thought last year at Anime Expo they had that nifty booth. Being a CPA, I see what happens when companies over extend themselves and just hope that does not happen to many of the anime companies.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Most of what they are dropping are their OEL series and some poorling selling Animanga and manhwa.
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kaichou wa Maid-sama and two more titles from Nanae Chrono!! Very Happy
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Two Nanae Chrono series bodes quite well for the first Peacemaker series and the soon to be released Vassalord, so I'm quite happy with this. I have no idea what Momo Tama is, but I'll probably pick it up on blind faith as I love her stuff.

And, more importantly, Togainu no Chi! The little I've read had a lot of potential so I can't wait to finally get a chance to read more. I just wish someone would bring the game over too. Then maybe someday down the line I could actually get a chance to see some iteration of Lamento...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
For some reason that my old brain cell can't comprehend, the book images only half download.

My guess is that it must relate to the chances of them ever coming out in published form. The more of the cover you can see, the more likely you will ever see them up for sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3