• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Eva

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I took a stroll today to my local comic shop to kill some time, and saw the new animerica (Which I used to buy before I found out about ANN) was in. On the cover was EoE, and let me say just one thing, and I undersatnd this may turn into a heated argument but...
Well, read the synopsis and seen parts of the movie and to be honest after watching the TV series, I think a movie was unnecessary. To me the TV series was awesome... sure it was a bunch of cliches paying homage (or parody) to mecha shows past and present. But the realyy great thing about this series that amidst all the cliches it's a story about a young boy finding his way, and it is resolved in the most unique fashion thta I have ever seen (and I've watched a good deal of mecha anime). The message I got at the end of the TV series, was if Shinji isn't happy now, what makes you think piloting a mecha will be any better?
Maybe EoE was for those people who took the cliches literally (and before some of you start getting pissed, chill out, I mean no offense. If that's the way you enjoy the show that's cool too), to give you a more definitive answer to the fate of the human race, Seele, etc.
Now that I think about it, maybe that is why Eva is so great. There are two different types of conculsions depending on your view of the TV series.
But if you haven't seen it yet (for those of few of you who haven't), don't take up my opinion or the opinons of anybody else on this forum, just sit back and watch , and draw your own conculsions.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Interesting idea, but...

...maybe you should wait until *after* Manga releases EoE so they don't read your post and change their minds =P
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Some pretentious schmuck who writes for this site wrote a way-too-long feature on his thoughts regarding Evangelion Wink , so I won't go too much into this, but I think the movie was necessary if only to conclude the narrative, which simply disappears after episode 24. Sophisticated-types can go on about unintelligent people being unable to appriciate the TV ending...but I don't care how smart they are, part of them asked "so what the hell happened to everybody?" the first time they saw the final episodes too.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:48 pm Reply with quote
End of Evangelion unnecessary? Only for those who haven't invested in queludes. Seriously, I can appreciate "art" as much as the next person. But when you slip from actually expressing something (albeit Dali-esque) to near nonsensical babble simply for the purpose of confusing the hell out of your audience and making sure that nothing ends as they'd expect it to, you get the raspberry in my book. I enjoyed Eva, somewhat. But if there is one thing I CANNOT STAND it is Eva-snobs who try to cram the series down your throat as the greatest thing ever put to celluloid. It isn't. To me, it's a great story about people and how their lives are affected by catostrophe and manipulation that got totally lost in a sea of random philosophical gibberish.
Shocked Wow, have I opened myself up for possible flaming. This is going to ruffle more than a few feathers I'm sure.
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:11 am Reply with quote
No, Raygal, no offense taken, that wasn't flame (at least to me). Thanks for sharing you opinion.
HothJedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished the series last week and have watched the whole thing over the past 2 weeks. I certainly thought it was a great series, but I wouldn't say it is the best by far. At first the conclusion to the series confused/annoyed me, but after a while, and another viewing, I came to understand it a little more, and I thought it was a very good ending, and was a fine conclusion, if not a satisfying one.
For people who like to have definitive endings, this series is a letdown, i think. Also, with series like this that get a big fan following, people like to know everything about it, and know what happens with every character. (Un)fortunately, the series does not provide any of those answers, as Reaygal mentioned, and this bothers a lot of viewers.
So, it took two different tellings of the ending to try and satisfy everyone. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, and the series shouldn't be criticized because of it.

I haven't seen End of Eva yet, but I will when I find it.
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoth Jedi, Manga is coming out with the End of Evagelion DVD on 9/24.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:34 pm Reply with quote
If you're interested in exploring the roots of Eva's less conventional moments, I'd recommend digging into the New Wave films of the sixties, like 8 1/2, Persona, Breathless, Jules & Jim, and (my fave) Last Year at Marienbad. I had less trouble understanding Eva than I might have because I'd seen these movies first. Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:09 am Reply with quote
The fault that eva had was that it took a story that it had developed with one type of "style" or "art", and then basically said "screw that" and did something completely different and FAR more abstract at the end.

Along the lines of slim shinji's comment; no matter how much you thought the ending was intelligent, artsy, or whatever; it still sucked. It was still a failure as far as being and ending is.

For a piece of artwork, you can do anything you want, true, but when you factor in a plot and continuity, you can't just change it to your whim AND have it remain good. It has to fit, it has to cap it off in a manner that was at least eluded to during the series. Had the fact that the world would return to its natural state of real life photos and crayon drawn pictures been somewhat hinted at throughout the series, maybe the ending would fit. But as it is, it was a lame, over the top artsy excuse for an ending.

By the way, I didn't like either version of the ending. EoE was good, but I just didn't like what happened. It made the whole series meaningless.
HothJedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:41 am Reply with quote
Well, I have yet to see EoE, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the series ending was not an ending. I definitely wouldn't say it was crap. Sure, everyone was wondering what happened, but isn't that part of what makes it an interesting and groundbreaking series?

Also, thanks for the release date info. I already knew about it, Its just a matter of finding it down here in SC once it arrives. As usual, I'll probably just order online Smile
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I have seen EoE a couple of years back, and to this day, I still enjoy it. Why? It made the ending to X the movie look nothing at all. To say why is to spoil it, so I won't Razz But need the less, I'm still get EoE when it comes out on DVD so I can finally put my VHS verison away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, Eva is my 2nd favorite Series (after FLCL which finally gets released this Tuesday barring anymore short notice delays)

I loved the show. It had a multitude of characters that almost anyone could find some one in the show to identify with. It had an underlining story of a young boy coming to terms with his purpose in life. The "Giant Robot fights Monsters" motif was just a vehicle to carry this story about these people. It had a little something for everyone.

It also had the interesting effects that a director's mental breakdown can have on a show. If you watched the 8th episode (Asuka Strikes, one of the most light hearted episodes) then watched the 24th episode, you might think that there was a different director for the second half of the show.

But, the last 2 episodes were such a departure from the show, that if I am showing the series to a friend, I recommend that they skip them and wait for the movie. Everything that is in the last two episodes is in "A Pure Heart for You" but it doesn't take 1 hour of still shots, stock footage, and low quality animation to do it.... it only takes about 10 mins, plus you get to see what is happening to the other characters while Shinji is having his little mental holiday, and you get to see what happens to him after he comes back the reality

In short, the movies are how the show would have ended if they had any money left. I don't buy Anno's story for a second that he wanted the show to end that way so he could do something "artistic".
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:57 am Reply with quote
A lot of the frustration that people have with the final episodes comes from a Hollywood-based sense of the "rules of narrative," but if you watch movies like Last Year at Marienbad you'll see that Anno didn't "violate the rules;" he just followed a different set of rules, rules that have been around for decades, but Hollywood has ignored. The structure of Eva makes perfect sense from a New Wave or postmodernist perspective.[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Judau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion. Yes, mind numbing in the end but still one of the most beloved series in anime. I won't go so far as to say EoE is not needed, but the original end is amazing. before I saw the series, I had heard about eps 25 and 26, and I thought watching them that I would be dazed and confused. Then I bought the series. I found that they are easy to understand, the only problem is that the plot (which we find out is almost irrelevant) gets thrown out the window. So to a certain standpoint EoE doesnt matter, since it was made for plot ties (and just brings more thought in). BUT, that doesn't mean that it is not a great movie, nor important to Eva and its fans. It is nice to just have extra footage of the great show, but the movies are wonderful and do help the series tie together, making it more enjoyable, rather than... a cliff hanger with no plot ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1