• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2008 Announces Numbers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmfrosty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
bmfrosty wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
There are a *lot* of ways to come up with numbers at a con. Paid attendees or badges sold is one thing, total people on the floor, including staff, etc., is another, and estimates only ever count for so much.

I'd think that the best way would involve the number of badges printed. It should give them a very good level of control, as they'd be able to subtract any particular subsection of the number that they wanted to.

Sounds like a fairly simple method. So is AX reporting "room nights", "paid admissions", or the actual number of unique attendees?

Someone has to know, but I doubt they're speaking.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm glad it's Downtown, since I don't have to pay for a hotel, but it'd be nice if, after being forced to wait in the heat for a popular GOH, that I can be allowed to return, if I suddenly need to use the restroom. [*cough* David Hayter *cough*]

GATSU: if this is anything, me and my friend spent only 120 dollars by commuting to and from LA than staying in a hotel. I couldn't believe it. And the exits are so convenient it was amazing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
fighter: But were the hotels fumigated? Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: But were the hotels fumigated? Wink

Fortunately we didn't park at the hotels Wink
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear the numbers went up at least. The only con I attended this year (OMG!!Con in Paducah, Kentucky) had an attendance raise of almost three hundred people, so I'm so happy to know people are at least still going to conventions. All we need to do now is to get people to buy the DVDs, manga, and merchandise to support the companies who make it possible for us to watch our favorite animes legally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
What was the ratio of kids to adults this year? When I first got into this hobby many years ago just about everyone was college-age or older. Now it seems like many of the adults have dropped out and been replaced by kids too young to drive.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Remember, whoever asked earlier, that these numbers are NOT "attendee days" but rather "individuals".

In most trade shows and expos, including the big ones in Europe, you're looking at "turnstile" numbers -- if the same person attends all three days, it would count as three. Those sorts of things tend to be focused on the exhibit halls, which can hold massive amounts of people.

Expo offers a variety of ticket options and, like most cons, tends to peak on Saturday. Saturday, I can believe 40k-plus people were there. It's a big space and it was pretty full.

Anyway, comparing numbers doesn't quite work that way. I'd estimate that Otakon's attendance number is approximately ~60k turnstile (about 2.5 times the number of registered members since not everyone is there on Friday or Sunday, though that wouldn't matter for most reporting purposes since the usual number is paid attendee days); I'd wager that Expo would come out somewhere near 80-90k because of different multi-day pass options, including the exhibits-only passes. Thursday and Sunday felt pretty light compared to Friday, and Saturday was pretty full.

We were hearing 29k by Thursday night, which must have included all of pre-reg and thursday's at-con totals. But Expo would really have to be the ones to formally address their numbers.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
What was the ratio of kids to adults this year? When I first got into this hobby many years ago just about everyone was college-age or older. Now it seems like many of the adults have dropped out and been replaced by kids too young to drive.

That's a good question to find out. With last year and this year, I've been seeing how some con-goers seem to be getting younger and younger. And without adult supervision at the particular moment that I saw them. Though I don't think that necessarily means that there isn't somebody watching over them. Although I have to also say I did see a fair number of parents accompanying their cosplaying children.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:

That's a good question to find out. With last year and this year, I've been seeing how some con-goers seem to be getting younger and younger. And without adult supervision at the particular moment that I saw them. Though I don't think that necessarily means that there isn't somebody watching over them. Although I have to also say I did see a fair number of parents accompanying their cosplaying children.

Or, it could be...we're getting old! Shocked
DrSlump

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the article is incorrect. The numbers that AX typically reports is not total paid admission but rather total population. When I used to oversee Reg for AX, I did calculate separate values for paid admission and I posted it to the ACML back for 2006. I don't think I posted to the ACML for 2007.

I'm fairly certain that 43k is total *population* which includes everyone. Feel free to contact the current reg heads for clarification on this.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
math4origami wrote:

So if you add the numbers, then you get a similar magnitude. AX just happens to be the biggest. The US is much bigger than France, so many people just go to their local convention.

This is true, but it's more about distance than population. Within X miles of paris, there's more people than in the same distance of LA. North America is much more spread out, so it's a lot harder for someone from say, New York, to travel to AX than it is for someone from Berlin to travel to Paris.

Also, while the USA has a large anime market, the market for Japanese pop-culture in Europe is much larger. While anime leads the market in the USA, in Europe it lags behind other aspects. For example the French manga market is about the same size as North America's, and if you combine it with Germany, those two countries alone have a larger manga fan-base and more manga sales than the USA.

-t
Jaebird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So this bolsters the statistics that con attendance is rising, whilst sales of physical product is falling sharply. Hrm. Confused

I wonder if one took the total number of anime DVD units sold in the US in any given year, and divided that number by total number of unique con attendees (I know such a number would be impossible to calculate since some people attend more than 1 con I'm sure), I wonder what number you would get. What is the average number of DVDs that the average con-goer buys over the course of the year?

I think at this point I'm at around 15 or so (that includes a couple of box sets being counted as a single unit, so total number of discs is probably over 20).

Unfortunately, due to the economy generally, that's a drop for me from past years, though I hope to make up for it at Otakon Very Happy (I know buying there is more expensive than online, but there is just something about buying your stuff in a dealers room).

Wasn't there a poll somewhere for the number of dvds that one buys per year? I think just like there are people who watch but don't buy to skew the numbers one direction (by watch, I mean both CN and fansubs) there are those who skew it in the other direction, haha, which is what I'd do. I buy a lot, I just don't watch it... I'm a very slooow person in this sense. But it helps the anime market either way, as they don't really care if I watch it, just that I buy it. Errrr.. anyway, was there a poll? (got a bit distracted)

Oh, and to the person who wondered at the number of people for the con in the US, the list that was posted of other cons, didn't even cover all of the rest. Those are just the more well known ones.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
With last year and this year, I've been seeing how some con-goers seem to be getting younger and younger. And without adult supervision at the particular moment that I saw them. Though I don't think that necessarily means that there isn't somebody watching over them. Although I have to also say I did see a fair number of parents accompanying their cosplaying children.

This is also something that Justin pointed out at the fansub panel. Back in 1992 when attendance was a whopping 2000 people I remember a good amount of fans being older than me and my college aged buddies. It is quite mind boggling that the convention is now over 20 times as big as it was back then since AX 92 seemed so big especially compared to the 200 people who attended the first Fanimecon.

Quote:
I'd think that the best way would involve the number of badges printed.

I think we only printed around a dozen badges which were used exclusively by the staff for the first Fanimecon (mine had Ashura from RG Veda on it) which were all custom made on Warner's fancy color printer. Then again this was a free convention and the name which my friend Aaron came up with (at my house) was a wordplay/pun for F(ree)animecon and the convention was a sort of response to Anime Expo which had left us all poor. I of course wanted the name Otaku-1/Otakuwan which would have been a play of the Japanese convention Daicon/Daikon but the double pun didn't work as well for those who didn't know Japanese.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
bmfrosty wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
There are a *lot* of ways to come up with numbers at a con. Paid attendees or badges sold is one thing, total people on the floor, including staff, etc., is another, and estimates only ever count for so much.

I'd think that the best way would involve the number of badges printed. It should give them a very good level of control, as they'd be able to subtract any particular subsection of the number that they wanted to.

My badge printed several times thanks to some computer problems, and I'm sure that the system counted all of them, so unique registrant ID numbers, which is what they're using now, is probably better.

The number confusion probably comes from Ms. Karahashi's estimate at the beginning of the con of 44k versus the actual count at the end of the con.

Always pay close attention to the words people use around the attendance number. Some cons (not AX, obviously) will use "turnstile" numbers, which just means how many people come in and out of the con hall every day. That could be the same people many times over, of course. Some cons count a 4-day badge as 4 people, which is just ridiculous, too. That the press release said "unique" and "paid" is good. It means they're not counting all the press and industry people, like myself, who got in for free.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
AX's press release said "43,000 unique attendees".
ANN posted "There were 43,000 paid attendees"

These ARE NOT the same thing. Unique attendees can include people who attended but did not pay.

Except for 2006, when they published detailed figures on exactly what types of badges made up their total, AX usually just reports on TOTAL attendance, including staff, guests, press, dealers, etc. (That 2006 breakdown also confirmed that AX was reporting total attendance and not just paid attendance.) That leads me to believe that this 43,000 number is also a total attendance number and NOT a paid attendance number.

ANN posted:
Quote:
When staff, professionals, press, and dealers are included, Anime Expo's total number of badges issued has likely broken the 50,000 mark.

Even if there were 43,000 paid attendees (and there were not), this is a poor assumption to make.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3