• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's wrong with Mediablasters [dubs]?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Luc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I see the most of their Licenses are not dubbed which not encourages me not to buy these titles..... No offense to them I do respect their works but I really don't want to see Licenses subbed only!

I don't know what with this problem???? They are just wasting these titles for nothing....
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
As a person who prefers dubs I can sympathize. However, in the case of many of Media Blasters releases, they tend to have very limited sales potential. With anime such as these it is just not financially feasible to dub them. The high cost of dubbing is more than the sales adding a dub will generate. It's disappointing but thats just how it is with more niche anime. Ask yourself this though: would you rather a sub only release or no release at all?
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd state my theory, but it'd probably just be a repeat of what ikillchicken said.

Though really, I don't care if it's a sub or dub release. As long as it actually gets released and the translations are good I have no problems (in the case of dubs, the quality of the English voice acting is added.) Remember, subbed anime is still better than no anime.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
Well, to be honest, it would be much better if there is no release at all, first for saving money for better anime, second hoping for better stodio to release this anime.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
personally most of the series they are releasing Sub only I agree would not have good returns from dubbing

my tears go to GaoGaiGar the half dubbed. poor, poor GaoGaiGar
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many copies of a series MB needs to sell in order to break even with these sub only titles. I get the feeling that some of these titles might sell only a couple thousand copies. If dubs do cost $10,000 per episode as quoted before or $50,000-$60,000 per DVD that would divide into an additional $30 per DVD to cover the dub cost. These are theoretical figures since I'm not sure exactly how low some of these titles print runs are, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them sell under 2000 copies. I don't think people are willing to spend $50-$60 a DVD to cover the dub cost.

On the other hand according to ANN 40,000 copies per volume (average of 1-5) of Death Note were sold. This means that the dub only cost a little over a dollar per DVD sold.

Keep in mind the cost of a dub is divided amongst the number of units sold. It is just economically unfeasible to have dubs on titles which are not going to sell very well. I would love it if someone could give us a rough figure on how many copies most of these sub only title sell. I know that Emma had a hard time filling it's 1000 pre-orders before the deadline for peoples name in the credits, and I'm sure that series is more popular than some of the MB titles.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
Well, to be honest, it would be much better if there is no release at all, first for saving money for better anime, second hoping for better stodio to release this anime.

Then you simply don't deserve to watch anime if you can't enjoy it one way or the other. Saying you can't watch anime subbed is in fact worse than sub-only people, because then you'll never to get enjoy tons of anime out there.

A lot of the shows not receiving dubs were just never big shows. Even among the fansub-gotta-watch-everything crowd, a lot of titles like Emma, Toward the Terra, Aria, etc. were just never big like Code Geass or Haruhi or what have you. Media Blasters and TSRI/Nozomi are doing those fansub watchers a huge favor by even licensing these under-the-radar shows in the first place. And on top of that, they're selling them in amazing ways to entice us to buy it even more, and it worked. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my Emma DVD next week.

Also, why does it seem like you're not even giving the Japanese a try? Can you not read subtitles, do you hate the Japanese language? If you buy a DVD, why not watch both audio tracks and on a case-by-case basis decide which version is better?
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
I don't have anything against MB, but I also wish they dubbed more of their shows. Some of their titles interest me, but not having options to listen to them in english is a major turnoff.

I've only seen one show I would pay money for if it was a R1 subbed only release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
I see the most of their Licenses are not dubbed which not encourages me not to buy these titles..... No offense to them I do respect their works but I really don't want to see Licenses subbed only!

I don't know what with this problem???? They are just wasting these titles for nothing....

If you feel that strongly about it then buy lots of dubbed anime and encourage your friends to do the same. Media Blasters and other anime companies will do more dubs when it is clear that there is a market for it and that a dubbed release will earn a lot more than a subbed release. As long as people don't buy anime or seem perfectly happy with subbed anime there is no reason for them to risk going bankrupt because you and I want a dub. This is a business after all and they have kids and mortgages too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, why does it seem like you're not even giving the Japanese a try? Can you not read subtitles, do you hate the Japanese language? If you buy a DVD, why not watch both audio tracks and on a case-by-case basis decide which version is better?
I can't speak for the OP, but at least in my case I have listened to the Japanese track on several of my DVDs for titles I own and I once dabbled in fan subs (though I seem to have cursed a number of series by doing it.)

For me, I've found that I form much less of an emotional connection with the characters when I can't understand what they're saying without reading the subtitles. Also, the subtitles are distracting from the rest of imagery. Plus I've long prefered to read in complete silence, so trying to read my TV while the sound is on actually grates my nerves (and trying to watch anime on mute is just sad.)

Assuming that the OP can't read subtitles or hates the Japanese language isn't a good idea. Maybe the poster does but there are plenty of other possibilities.

@ lesterf1020: You're dead on right. The only way to change the trend is for English dub fans to start making our feelings known by exercising our wallets and our vocal cords. Also, I think English dub fans need to start banding together more. I've read numerous times how fans have been rejected by anime clubs or made to feel like second class fans because they prefered English dubs or at least waited to buy R1 DVDs rather than download illegal fansubs or buy bootlegs.

English dub fans need to either demand respect or just form a completely separate fan base. We're losing people due to the arrogance of a few jerks.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Richard J.! I believe I recently got a thread locked over this same issue. I was beginning to think I was the only one. PM me or send me a email so we can discuss this issue further. I don't think are dub supporting arguments are welcome here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
If you're not used to reading subtitles, of course they're confusing. Oh course it's up to you for what you decide to watch, but subtitles do get easier the more you watch stuff with them, eventually to the point of where you shouldn't notice them and they never distract from the show. Even if they do distract, the chances are that the current animation is completely stagnant except for a few repeated mouth flaps, so it's not like you're ever really missing anything.

Also, you guys are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. So a few extremely obscure shows don't get dubs, it's not the end of dubs, is it? It just means the companies felt that these shows with tiny fanbases wouldn't be able to make back the money if they had spent it on dubbing it. The only thing you can really complain about right now is the release of Gurren Lagann in July being undubbed, but that's because they recognize that they need to get the product out now to fans who simply don't care for dubs. Though it's not like they're not releasing the dubbed version next spring for those who care about that.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
That good to hear! But, remember some old titles like Voogie's Angel, Mouse, Fake and some othr more who have less than 4 episodes have been dubbed! These titles was produced during 2003-2004, It's really shame to see Futari echi subbed!

EDITED: MD has got Ikki Tousen Season 2, I would really pissed off if they subbed this title (Although I call this title a garbage because it has involved me in a very long trouble, but the anime was good).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It's not just a bunch of obscure shows that won't be dubbed. Some good stuff that could be popular if was and marketed properly could sell well. They are people out there that would give anime a chance if they didn't have to deal with subtitles. For instance, I told my mom about Emma and she seemed interested until I told her it would be subbed only. It will probably get to the point where unless an anime has the potential to be the next Naruto or Bleach, it won't get a dub.
Sloober

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It's a really big preference thing - there are a lot of people that don't like to read while watching a movie (Nothing against them at all!). I sort of go between the two, usually whichever (japanese/english) has the "more appropriate" sounding cast is what i'll watch - although I am biased to if i have seen the fansub first i tend to stick with the sub after I buy the series. Like I really like the GITS/Standalone complex dub voice cast, so I always watch them dubbed - same thing with a few other shows like samurai 7 and even slayers >>. (and azumanga and the list goes on and on so on and so forth ampersand et cetera!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6