• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - August 9th - 15th

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
The changing AS Saturday schedule is a bad sign that anime still can't hold its own in the ratings....

The sky isn't falling. Bleach is still their #1 ratings on Saturday, has been for a while. When they took comedy off Saturdays, you didn't claim it's a good sign that anime is finally becoming a phenomena in America. Why claim the opposite when the reverse happens?

I didn't claim anything. Giving AS all anime is kinda like taking the training wheels off the bike and seeing if it doesn't fall. When anime can ride consistently again, then it's a good sign.

The ratings are always compared to the competition - not only against other rivals in the same timeslot but also compared to their own timeslot in the past to see improvement.

There's no conspiracy; it's just business.

AS Anime on Sat always gets around 200,000-300,000 views a week these days. Has for months. Nothing's really changed. And since IFC and Sci-Fi refuse to reveal the Ratings for their anime blocks, we have no comparisons for other late-night blocks to tell if 200k-300k is common. Does Toonami ever give out their ratings online? Seems like it'd be fairly high compared to Adult Swim.

On an unrelated note, it looks like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie will be airing this Saturday instead of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Aquateen Hunger Force... now that is a waste of a show.

Anyway, loved the kid's questions. I totally giggled. Now I'm curious, where does a person die by having their mouth filled with gasoline and a match lit? Sounds awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
The changing AS Saturday schedule is a bad sign that anime still can't hold its own in the ratings....

The sky isn't falling. Bleach is still their #1 ratings on Saturday, has been for a while. When they took comedy off Saturdays, you didn't claim it's a good sign that anime is finally becoming a phenomena in America. Why claim the opposite when the reverse happens?

I didn't claim anything. Giving AS all anime is kinda like taking the training wheels off the bike and seeing if it doesn't fall. When anime can ride consistently again, then it's a good sign.

The ratings are always compared to the competition - not only against other rivals in the same timeslot but also compared to their own timeslot in the past to see improvement.

There's no conspiracy; it's just business.

AS Anime on Sat always gets around 200,000-300,000 views a week these days. Has for months. Nothing's really changed.

That could be a problem. A few years ago, the top 3 anime ratings were hovering around 400k-500k. They want to get back to that loft.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
And since IFC and Sci-Fi refuse to reveal the Ratings for their anime blocks, we have no comparisons for other late-night blocks to tell if 200k-300k is common. Does Toonami ever give out their ratings online? Seems like it'd be fairly high compared to Adult Swim.

Yeah, Toon Zone keeps track whenever CN publishes their ratings. Toonami (ratings age 9-14) usually get at least twice that of Adult Swim (ratings age 18-34). Notice they measure different target demographics.

TheTheory wrote:
Ugh, Aquateen Hunger Force... now that is a waste of a show.

And yet, it gets quoted more by the mainstream media than anything else on Adult Swim. The public consciousness of it is larger. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2