• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lain's ABe Self-Publishes Manga on iTunes in 20 Nations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Sorry people, it's an apps store program. =/

Strictly iPhone and Touch as far as I know...

But, you regular iPod users have Song Summoner, can't be THAT bad that you're missing out...

But seriously, it's a little bit of a below average translation job. Regardless, I'll probably get it, being it's only 5 bucks.

Yep,

Here's the requirements..

iTunes wrote:

Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch
Requires iPhone 2.0 Software Update
halo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
Well with no iphone or ipod i guess my 5 bucks was just a straight donation to aBe. Sigh, i wanted to read that.

Somehow I imagine his royalties per unit sold isn't that great, probably less than a buck.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Grico wrote:
Well with no iphone or ipod i guess my 5 bucks was just a straight donation to aBe. Sigh, i wanted to read that.

Somehow I imagine his royalties per unit sold isn't that great, probably less than a buck.

Actually, the developers of all these apps get every bit of cash as far as I know.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm a big ABe fan but I wish I had known that you needed an iPhone or an iPod Touch to view it. Maybe they'll release a patch for iTunes that'll let you view it without the device.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I'm a big ABe fan but I wish I had known that you needed an iPhone or an iPod Touch to view it. Maybe they'll release a patch for iTunes that'll let you view it without the device.

...Probably not, a key thing about the apps store is that it pretty much does everything that the mythical google phone was supposed to.

They're gonna keep it locked up if I had to guess.

EDIT: God, I had to rework this post 3 times, it's a mere two sentences! I need to go to sleep. DX
Diego Coruña

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I'm a huge ABe fan and I really enjoyed this piece (even though I'm not big on the official translation, which is rather leaden).

The translation does seem a bit awkward in places (examples: "You are impolite to customer!”, “I can’t because I’m a social withdrawal”), but I'm glad it’s good enough to allow readers to follow the story without doing more than the occasional head-scratch.

I purchased it earlier today but then I got really busy, so I haven't made it past the first few pages. Still, I like what I've seen so far: the images are crisp and clear, the text is sharp and perfectly readable (even on the iPod Touch’s relatively small screen), and of course the art is excellent.

By the way, ABe himself announced the release on his blog: http://abworks.blog83.fc2.com/blog-entry-415.html. The post is in Japanese, but there's a brief note in English towards the end.
Mevious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
halo wrote:
Grico wrote:

Actually, the developers of all these apps get every bit of cash as far as I know.

Besides, doujinshi usually sells for about US$2-5 anyway. He's probably not getting much more or less then he would've gotten normally. Although the lack of printing costs help increase his profit, I don't know how much he has to pay to have his work up on iTunes.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:

Mevious wrote:
Besides, doujinshi usually sells for about US$2-5 anyway. He's probably not getting much more or less then he would've gotten normally. Although the lack of printing costs help increase his profit, I don't know how much he has to pay to have his work up on iTunes.

This US$4.99 electronic comic actually combines three volumes that ABe published individually in Japan. According to Apple, the creators keep 70% of the sales revenue from the App Store.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote
You could always buy the app, then download the actual doujin from one of the Usual Places. Think of it as a glorified 'donate' button.

::edit:: Actually, I recommend doing this anyway (paying AND downloading from elsewhere). Whilst you do get a 'zoom' function, the images themselves are only the same resolution as the iPhone's screen itself. Paying £3 for an english version of a doijin I'm perfectly happy with. Paying £3 for a doujin scanned at 480x320 I can't say I'm too happy with at all.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The concept behind this is fantastic. Now if only it could be used on a bigger scale, and with more than just iTouch/iPhones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2