• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoko (not ono's) very best?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
We all know Yoko Kanno's good, but just how good?

What do you think is Yoko's very best work to date?

I would have to say the work she did for Escaflowne. The music was excellent, always flowing.

I also enjoyed her work on bebop to a slightly less degree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, this is a hard one for me, so I'll just go with what I've been listening to a lot lately, which is the Wolf's Rain soundtrack. I love pretty much all of her stuff, and I don't know what it is about the Wolf's Rain osts, but I just don't get sick of them. Maybe in another couple months I will.

I can't seem to get the song "Strangers" out of my head. I think that's perhaps one of her best vocal songs. That and "Blue" *from Bebop* are I think my faves when it comes to her vocal work.
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Macross Plus is pretty good too... as is Escaflowne.... as is Arjuna... damn, it's just so hard to choose....

I'm gonna have to go with the Bebop on this one, though.... great stuff.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I would say Escaflowne, but the credits clearly state it's Kanno-sama and the very talented Hajime Mizoguchi-sama.

So if I were to pick a soundtrack based on Kanno-sama's talent alone, I'd go with Bebop.

Until I heard it (Bebop,) I never cared much for jazz. But now... WOW! Shocked I can't get enough of it.

However, after hearing some of her more recent work from Wolf's Rain, I think I'm starting to like it (WR) more... Rolling Eyes

She's probably my favorite anime composer of all time right now. Cool
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, that's a tough one.

Arjuna probably fascinates me the most. But I enjoy listening to Wolf's Rain much more. I think I'm numb to Bebop at this point, but it's still darn good. Esca, Brain Powered, and Macross Plus are great, too.....

For now, uh.....I'll say Turn-A Gundam because people never seem to mention that one.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
I like the Escaflowne compostion she did with Hajime Mizoguchi.
I haven't heard a lot of music from Wolf Rain but its still very well done. The Jazz music in Bebop is simply superb; its still difficult for me to choose the best piece yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
Being a big lover or Jazz, I really like her work on Bebop. It has the classy-ness that alot of other stuff really lacks these days. It's just so perfect.

Her work in Wolf's Rain is also pretty good, but I have a hard time noticing it unless I really try. Like, it's too much in the background. I kinda have to try hard to hear it. But it's still pretty good. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My favourites of her work are anything from GITS:SAC I love the OST and the 'Be Human' album. Wolfs Rain was also very good, Arjuna was too, and the stuff for the CB movie rules...but GITS:SAC is my fav Smile
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the most difficult ones to pick from. I'm probably going to go with the Escaflowne movie music though. There was more in there that moved me than anywhere else. In the end though, I'd say that I enjoy all her work thoroughly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:21 am Reply with quote
Saturday, something cool happened.

I had just gotten the Arjuna OSTand I was listening to it for the first time while getting ready for my Saturday night doings and I sat down by my computer to check a schedule and at that moment I started to really listen to the music.
I finished my task, but I didn't get up, I was caught up in the music. After this song I said.
I sat there until not doing anything while I listen to the approximatly the last third of the soundtrack, the last song twice, absolutely enthralled. My friend came in at some point (I was busy paying attention to the music) and saw me, sat down and listened.
The first words out of his mouth was, "Could you burn a copy of that for me."
You now, this is the second Kanno soundtrack I own (Cowboy Bebop, another favorite was the first) . Now I want them all.

All the best,

Nani?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:39 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
You now, this is the second Kanno soundtrack I own (Cowboy Bebop, another favorite was the first) . Now I want them all.

Very Happy And let me be the first to welcome you to the "must have all of Yoko Kanno's Cds" club! Together we can support earch other through the hard times of searching and collecting, and if we must, withdrawls!
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper at littlegreenwolf. That was quite funny.

I just ordered Cowboy Bebop: Future Blues and it arrived this morning. I may just have found my favorite new Yoko Kanno track ever. 7 minutes is pure melodical heaven... *floats away*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
well...damn this is a really hard decision...for me it is a toss up between her live Bebop stuff, and the Ghost in the Shell stuff she has done just blows me away. I have to agree with the own every yoko cd, because i'm always looking to buy as many as possible, as often as possible lol. Damn you Yoko, for keeping me constantly broke! lol j/k
Koe

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I like her work on Wolf's Rain the most. ^^ Like what littlegreenwolf said, they just don't get boring at all. Anime smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
damn, so many. id have to say that i like Wolf's Rain the best, but in terms of quality, id have to go with bebop. that OST has so many forms of music in it that its amazing. the most overlooked would be arjuna.
i gotta say that GitS:SAC's OST is up there. its cool how she combines rock and trance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2