• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Average Joe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'm ready to live in a world where watching Kanon to forget about what went down in Joe vs Joe--an anime which offers up the Master Asia / Schwarz Bruder-approved wisdom that is "Men have certain moments where the only way to express feelings is through their fists" RIGHT THERE ON THE COVER--is offered up as a recommended course of action. Truly a shocking thing to encounter after a weekend spent rewatching Cyber City Oedo and admiring that part where the world's smartest Hokuto no Ken thug went to Tokyo Tower and Shoryuken Dragon Punched that evil Robocop in half.

Edit: When I clicked Post, the message returned was "Failed sending email" something or other instead of "your message has been posted." Not sure what's that about, but I can only assume that the pro-Kanon / anti-Joe punching forces of the Internet are trying to silence me yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I'm just curious...

When you used the word over the top to describe Kanon, were you referring to how it can get a little out of control with the drama?

I was referring to the ridiculous melodrama, and the sheer absurdity of the story. It's just... too much. Very Happy

Zalis116 wrote:
Wait a sec, I thought 65F was jacket weather in southern California Very Happy

Sadly, I think 65 may be coat weather for California natives. I'm from Colorado, though, so anything above 80 is too hot. ;p

Also, as a fellow grammar Nazi, I appreciate the "bated breath" correction.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For instance, one of the Joes is a great up-and-coming boxer, but he's got inhibitions about punching people—because of some sordid childhood trauma that vaguely involves him beating up another kid.

I just have to ask, how exactly does one become even an up and coming boxer if they're unwilling to hit people?
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vs. Joe sounds HILARIOUS. I gotta get that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I just have to ask, how exactly does one become even an up and coming boxer if they're unwilling to hit people?

that's probably one of the reasons it was placed as 'perishable' Wink

Zalis116 wrote:
Okay, I'm officially confused here. You're saying the Kanon dub was an improvement over Air's, so why do you dread them getting Clannad?

I thought the same thing. But I'm mainly just hoping that Clannad gets liscensed soon. Very Happy

Man, I've been missing a lot of news lately because I had no idea that FUNi even picked up the liscense for Kanon. I sure am glad though, having just rewatched it from the beginning I'm dying to see how the end plays out. It's obvious what Ayu's story is, but I just know that I'm going to Crying or Very sad ...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought Funi was "re-releasing" all of Kanon as singles, so what is this talk of 4 & 5 being super-rare? It would be understandable (yet greatly suck) if the only volume 5s out there are those BestBuy leaked because ADV cannot sell more and Funi is delaying because they took over "after release." That and how stores could transition the item numbers for neo-Funi titles in their catalog but not our canceled orders.

AH-HAH, the pictures show both depths of his manga shelves. That makes sense now .. couldn't figure out why there were two copies of everything on the top of his very similar looking shelves.

SakechanBD wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Wait a sec, I thought 65F was jacket weather in southern California Very Happy

Sadly, I think 65 may be coat weather for California natives. I'm from Colorado, though, so anything above 80 is too hot. ;p

That would explain much ... coat below 70, prefer 85-95 (depending on humidity.) Guess that makes me:
Quote:
people who, for some terrifying reason, even like the warm weather
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
lol @ out of place bootleg Full Metal Panic boxset.

Particularly when the owner has an autographed Patlabor: The Movie. Laughing
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I kinda feel sorry for the Shelf-Obsessed submitter. I have family in Victorville so I've been there. It really is in the middle of the desert. There's hardly anything up there. -_- A city gal like me would go insane!!

And yeah, 65F is coat weather for most native socal people. I know I freeze when a slight breeze blows and I bundle up in the winter. Laughing
MBF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
It really is in the middle of the desert. There's hardly anything up there. -_- A city gal like me would go insane!!

Owner of said shelf here and Feral hit the nail on the head with that statement about Victorville. At least the good thing about the area is that theres FIOS, but thats beside the point. Also, the singles release of Full Metal Panic had reversible cover inserts, plus if you look at the bottom of the FMP disc cases, you'll see the ADV logo.
Manji13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
lol @ out of place bootleg Full Metal Panic boxset.

Particularly when the owner has an autographed Patlabor: The Movie. Laughing

I'm pretty sure that it's not a bootleg. The owner just preferred the alternate side of the reversible covers.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Anime World Order. Given the choice, when the enjoyment of watching men express their feelings through manly fist-a-cuffs loses over watching girls with down syndrome move around like chickens with their heads cutoff and making stupid noises just for the enjoyment of perveted otaku is not a world I'm really ready to live in yet.

At least have the decency to rate a horror/mystery flick (read XXXHolic )over that pile of crap.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
Come live in the UK. You'll never have to worry about hot weather ever again. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2