• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bulma's Emmy Rossum Discusses Live-Action Dragonball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Michael Bay?

I liked Transformers, though. You didn't?

Was I supposed to give you some rebuttal for Bay? I just didn't really care about it? I always thought people hated him. >_>;;;
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Every pseudo fan apparently hates Bay since he headed the Transformers project, and how he "botched" the movie. All sorts of things are attributed to it, which I think is kind of sad that we all can't be peaceful about the fact that we got a movie that was pretty good, despite other adaptions of series or games that I have seen.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that I saw Transformers on its 2nd opening day (like 11 in the morning). The theater was packed mainly with people in their early to late 20's (AKA people who grew up with G1). At the end, after Optimus' speech, the audience stood up and applauded.

I'd take that as a very strong sign that Bay succeeded in pleasing the majority of the G1 fanbase. The majority of the flamers seem to be the uber G1 fanboys who can't take any sort of different take on Transformers (sadly, this will often include other series as well, such as Beast Wars, which was IMHO the greatest TF series of all).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
fighter: It's pretty good for a Bay flick you come into with low expectations, but wretched for a Transformers movie. [I'm still loyal to the '86 one, and moreso now because of that pompous jackass having the gall to align himself with the "old-school" directors who actually cared about scripts.[Rant against L.A. Times ad featuring him.]]

doctor: The people who liked that dreck like all of Bay's vanity projects. But no one who likes good movies(i.e. those which don't lower your IQ or overwhelm you with bad camera-work and editing) likes Bay.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: It's pretty good for a Bay flick you come into with low expectations, but wretched for a Transformers movie. [I'm still loyal to the '86 one, and moreso now because of that pompous jackass having the gall to align himself with the "old-school" directors who actually cared about scripts.[Rant against L.A. Times ad featuring him.]]

doctor: The people who liked that dreck like all of Bay's vanity projects. But no one who likes good movies(i.e. those which don't lower your IQ or overwhelm you with bad camera-work and editing) likes Bay.

Did you just praise the 1986 Transformers movie, and then criticize other films for lowering your IQ with bad camera-work and editing in your next breath? Did you read that movie's actual reviews, from people "who like good movies," in 1986? The 1986 Transformers movie was and still is a fun, guilty pleasure. A fun, guilty 2-hour toy commercial pleasure.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
testor: If it's just a guilty pleasure, Paul Thomas Anderson wouldn't swipe one of its songs for Boogie Nights.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: If it's just a guilty pleasure, Paul Thomas Anderson wouldn't swipe one of its songs for Boogie Nights.

Boogie Nights included Transformers: The Movie's "The Touch" because the song is a guilty pleasure. Just ask the song's writer and performer, Stan Bush:

"Also, the movie Boogie Nights featured "The Touch" in a scene where Mark Whalberg is trying to resurrect his career as a rock singer. It was deliberately bad and was kind of a spoof on the eighties."

http://tformers.com/Interview-Stan-Bush-Rocking-Transformers-Again/6697/news.html
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Michael Bay?

I liked Transformers, though. You didn't?

Was I supposed to give you some rebuttal for Bay? I just didn't really care about it? I always thought people hated him. >_>;;;

Bay could've made a better DBZ movies, because he can add in his trademark "explosions."
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
testor: Perhaps, but Bush wouldn't have a career without it, since it was ironically viewed by nostalgic fans as an example of the best of the 80s. And Anderson himself would probably agree, since that's one of the few positive moments of the film.

Anyway, new link which hasn't been shut down.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
All I know is that I saw Transformers on its 2nd opening day (like 11 in the morning). The theater was packed mainly with people in their early to late 20's (AKA people who grew up with G1). At the end, after Optimus' speech, the audience stood up and applauded.

That's how it was too. Me and my brother actually went to go see it the first day it came out, and there was a line extending all the way out to the other side of the theater. We all didn't exactly stand up but the crowd was cheering when Optimus Prime said his own name.

GATSU wrote:

And now that I think about it, it was all of your stupid comments that actually made me enjoy the movie more. At least I know that I was able to enjoy it unlike some hardcore fanboy that I know.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: Perhaps, but Bush wouldn't have a career without it, since it was ironically viewed by nostalgic fans as an example of the best of the 80s. And Anderson himself would probably agree, since that's one of the few positive moments of the film.

Do you realize that you just contradicted Stan Bush's statement and your own? Wink Sometimes, it's easier to let Gatsu undermine his own off-topic argument.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
testor: I didn't say it wasn't just a guilty pleasure, just that it was more than that for fans. And I didn't disagree with Bush's original intentions for the song, but he clearly realizes how much it ironically meant to people who watched the show, or he wouldn't continue playing it at concerts.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: I didn't say it wasn't just a guilty pleasure, just that it was more than that for fans. And I didn't disagree with Bush's original intentions for the song, but he clearly realizes how much it ironically meant to people who watched the show, or he wouldn't continue playing it at concerts.

Wow, you keep digging that hole, Gatsu. Wink Just do it somewhere where it isn't off-topic, please?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
testor: I wasn't even the one who brought up the other film in the first place, but you're just dragging it out, because you get off on nit-picking.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU, yes, GATSU wrote:
you're just dragging it out, because you get off on nit-picking.

That's irony. Smile Now, please apply your criticism to yourself. That's all we ask.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7