• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Jungle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Part of me cries every time I see what they did to "Crayon Shin-chan" (a children's show)....

....but then the other part of me starts laughing too hard. I don't think I'd buy it, but I love it every time I catch it on Adult Swim.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, what kinda frames be on the cel/background? My first intinct is an off-the-shelf 16x20, but I'm not familiar with the sizes on backgrounds, so it could be custom. (Please say custom, it's much better for preservation on stuff like that...)

championferret wrote:

It's a real shame the animation budget is so shockingly low at times. However, me and fellow fans have good fun making fun of that aspect. At least it improves in leaps and bounds...about 100 or so episodes later.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Actually, the Arlong arc (what most consider the hooking point) will be spread around both boxsets 3 and 4, so it might be accurate to say the hooking point won't occur until 4. However, the hooking point for me was specifically episode 37...

Honestly, this right here is why I don't watch shonen shows. If I have to invest 14-36 hours of viewing before it "gets good", something's not being done right. That's just me.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know that someone else out there has a VERY understanding spouse. I've got one too, only it's a husband, not a wife. I hope you appreciate yours like I do mine! <3
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
I resent that statement about American comics being shallow...! Evil or Very Mad

Deadpool, shallow!? Hmm!? ...Hmph!

And what about the Super Amig-...., ....no comment...
Axle911

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
i was having trouble making the leap in logic, between "American comics are single-minded" and then having 5 shelves full of naked little girl toys, but oh well
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Now, a bit about my (lack of) fandom. When the first Voltron series first aired, I hadn't even been born yet.
Wow, that makes me feel so old. Sad
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Honestly, this right here is why I don't watch shonen shows. If I have to invest 14-36 hours of viewing before it "gets good", something's not being done right. That's just me.

My feelings exactly. That's weak storytelling.

varmintx wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Now, a bit about my (lack of) fandom. When the first Voltron series first aired, I hadn't even been born yet.
Wow, that makes me feel so old. Sad

That was my first thought as well, varmintx. *le sigh*
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Part of me cries every time I see what they did to "Crayon Shin-chan" (a children's show)....

....but then the other part of me starts laughing too hard. I don't think I'd buy it, but I love it every time I catch it on Adult Swim.

Sadly, you likely won't get to laugh at them anymore, as I believe they already announced that AS was done with Shin-chan. Not to mention it seems like CN is abandoning anime for the most part, what with the announcement of the end of Toonami.

I didn't care for Voltron much (yes, I was around when it first aired stateside in syndication), but I am very appreciative of this release from Media Blasters. It is nice to see the differences between the 2 shows. And this from a self-admitted dub fan!
MBF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Voltron started airing in the late 80's at least, around the same time as G1 Transformers, right? If that were the case, Bamboo would have to be at least....
*quickly does some math in his head*
I agree with what Varmintx said.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Who said it wasn't good BEFORE that? It's just at that point it goes from good to great and keeps getting better as time goes on. So it might be at "rental" level right now, but it soon goes into "buy" level as time goes on.

Now for those of fully caught up with the series, we shake at our heads at those who are judging it simply by earlier episodes and don't realize what they're missing out on.

In fact, can't this be said about tons of anime, or fiction altogether? Bebop's first 4 episodes aren't as impressive as the ones afterwards. Harry Potter's first two books pale in comparison to the later books. But neither one is actually bad in the early stages, ut's simply not as good as what comes later. That's not poor writing, that's taking time to establish story/characters and THEN getting to the really good stuff.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd be very interested in knowing about where you purchased that figurine of Chi draped over a chaise lounge. I happen to have been given one as a present, and I was told that only two were ever officially imported into the UK, so I wonder if it's equally rare in other countries, and how you came by it. ^^

*~Pips~*
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Axle911 wrote:
i was having trouble making the leap in logic, between "American comics are single-minded" and then having 5 shelves full of naked little girl toys, but oh well

'Word. I believe I noticed a naked flat chest somewhere in there...

ANN, how dare you! How dare you! The audacity! The immorality!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

My feelings exactly. That's weak storytelling.

Lord of the Rings is weak storytelling?
Harry Potter?

Shonen is in that longwinded perspective--the adventure drags on forever. If the story works, it's great (We're up to vol 30 of Samurai Deeper Kyo & I'm still not bored).
I see 2 issues here for One Piece.
1-the glass is half full or half empty. As one of the 5 people who didn't see what all the fuss was over Dark Knight (& even felt the director sort of blew it in several places) I'm willing to see some of my disappointment was everyone jumping up & down saying how much it rocked while I'm wondering when the hell the stupid thing was going to take off. Ledger was great. Freeman was Freeman, same for Caine & Oldman, but the rest...slow, dull, listless. So you can go to these things expecting to be disappointed & maybe be wow'd, but if you've set your sights too high, it'll probably fail. Most films I love are ones I expect to like (these can disappoint) or ones I had no expectations for (Speed Racer) & thus was wow'd because it delivered.

Other issue is some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla.
Not everyone will like One Piece.
It is an incredibly fun romp. The characters are easy to like & the action is nicely paced. Jump over to the Japanese track & Luffy is kid Krillin (same VA)-innocent in some ways, but evil in others. I honestly hate him sometimes when he gets his mind set on whupping Zoro, but it's hard to stay angry with him because he is an idiot. Forget Naruto, One Piece does a far better job of capturing the fun & carefree side of DB/Z.
I liked the first few stories & felt Chopper's intro arc was actually dragged out too far. I hate Enel
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Well personally I disagree that it doesn't get good until the Arlong Arc. It just wasn't until the Arlong Arc that I realized just how much I loved this series and the characters. But if you think about how long One Piece is compared to other series 14-36 hours to "get good" is not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Of course I also disagree with the statement on Shelflife that everyone loves One Piece. I know quite a few people who really dislike it. It is a long running shounen series and no matter how good some people claim it is not everyone is going to enjoy that type of series. Even if One Piece stands out in the genre it is still very much a part of the genre.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I was paying too much attention to the figures before. Unless I'm just not seeing it, this guy doesn't own Cowboy Bebop, owns a bootleg of FLCL, and owns all of what's been released of Naruto so far. Forget the figures, his wife should be mad at him about that! Geeze.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5