• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think this is from spoiler[Magic User's Club], where spoiler[A is a mysterious being, B is Takeo, and it, of course, happens when Takeo is in the bathroom.]

Correct! A's name is spoiler[Jinno], but it hadn't been revealed at the time this quote took place, so the answer is good.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Just rewatched this one recently. From the subs:

Character A: "It's impossible for the following five reasons."
Character B: "What?"
Character A: "First: you're stupid. Second: you're really stupid. Third: you're extremely stupid. Fourth: you're revolutionarily, cosmically stupid. And the fifth is. . ."
Character B: "That's enough out of you! Die!"
Character A: "******!"

***** = Another character's name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, that sounds like spoiler[Nagi Sanzanin] from spoiler[Hayate the Combat Butler.] Can I say that the last line is addressed to spoiler[Hayate]? >.> If not, I think that's when spoiler[she was threatened by Gilbert.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sakura of Avalon wrote:
Hmmm, that sounds like spoiler[Nagi Sanzanin] from spoiler[Hayate the Combat Butler.] Can I say that the last line is addressed to spoiler[Hayate]? >.> If not, I think that's when spoiler[she was threatened by Gilbert.]

Character B isn't Gilbert, but instead spoiler[the unnamed mecha with the S on its chest that chases down Nagi at the beginning of the first episode]. However, the rest of your answer is right so I'll give it to you.

Nagi has a lot of great lines that could have been used, but this one was probably my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Dub: "Here's the deal: I think we first go out for about a year. Then, when the Spring comes, we get married. I'd like about two kids. And if we have a boy, we'll call him 'Genki'; if it's a girl, we'll name her 'Shizuka.' You could work, but you'll have to take care of the family. And we could get a mortgage with a 5.5 interest rate on a brick thatch house with curb appeal and a white picket fence. Oh, and my mother could teach you how to cook!"

Sub: "I think that if we went out for about a year... we could get married, and I'd like about two kids. 'Genki' if it's a boy, and 'Shizuka' if it's a girl. And we could get a thirty-year mortgage on a small prebuilt house with a big window and a small door and..."
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Judging by her reaction, the school nurse to whom the teacher directed this speech isn't a fan of long-term planning.]
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, when I saw this I thought it sounded familar, so even though I feel like I'm being baited I'll guess spoiler[Onizuka says this to Nao Kadena in GTO]
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sorry, that's not correct.

Hint #1: spoiler[Judging by her reaction, the school nurse to whom the teacher directed this speech isn't a fan of long-term planning.]

Hint #2: spoiler[Like the ordinary junior high student protagonist, this man has been compelled to speak some unfortunate truths, ruining his plan to be alone with the addressee he carefully concocted the previous night.]

Hint #3: spoiler[Both the structure and the students of the school became victims of the magical girl protagonist's rival's attempts to best her, but they are fortunate to have avoided any direct exchanges of energy blasts.]

Last edited by Sakura of Avalon on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Sakura of Avalon wrote:
Hint #3: spoiler[The anime only rival to the magical girl protagonist bears the closest resemblance to the heroine's best friend in the previous manga that has an anime adaptation and is by the same author.]

While I don't think this is technically an illegal hint, can we please leave manga references out of clues for the anime tournament?

(And no, this is not the first time I've had this beef. Just the first time I think I've voiced it.)
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Hint #2: spoiler[Like the ordinary junior high student protagonist, this man has been compelled to speak some unfortunate truths, ruining his plan to be alone with the addressee he carefully concocted the previous night.]

Hint #3: spoiler[Both the structure and the students of the school became victims of the magical girl protagonist's rival's attempts to best her, but they are fortunate to have avoided any direct exchanges of energy blasts.]

Hint #4: spoiler[The task of retrieving a set of five magical objects assigned to one of the two maniacal protagonists is ultra hard practice for an exchange student.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Time's up.

Character A: Character B, you've always looked like you're in pain since I met you. In pain... in pain... your face showed so much pain. You had the same eyes as I did. Your face looked so lonely and painful, like you couldn't bear it. So... So...

Character B: [internal thoughts] I was the one being comforted...

Character B goes on for a while, so I cut it there, but I think you get the gist. I liked this one as soon as I viewed it. Both characters express important feelings, and Character B comes to an important realisation. It is a major turning point in the story, though at the time it was just a very heartfelt scene.
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
I believe that is spoiler[Teresa from Claymore] reflecting on the reason spoiler[Clare follows her (which Clare just said in the above sentence).] End of ep 5, if I remember correctly.

The answer to mine, by the way, is spoiler[Mr. Mikami talking to Ms. Tamura from Ultra Maniac.] This is in ep 13, where spoiler[Mr. Mikami accidentally got his hands on and wore a truth compelling vest and ends up blurting a series of unfortunate thoughts during his outing with Ms. Tamura.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
Sakura of Avalon wrote:
I believe that is spoiler[Teresa from Claymore] reflecting on the reason spoiler[Clare follows her (which Clare just said in the above sentence).] End of ep 5, if I remember correctly.

Well, I think it was episode six, but you're forgiven. Your turn.
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a budding yanderekko.

"It's not like I'm having fun. He just surprised me; that's all; and... Woah, look at that neck! How did he get such a long neck? Hey, I can't believe it! It's amazing! It's really amazing!"
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
spoiler[That's Lucy to Kohta in Elfen Lied, during the episode where as children, they went to the zoo. She's commenting about a giraffe.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 149 of 151