• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love & Pop US DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
What Tempest said.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:57 am Reply with quote
BTW, the final specs are now up at http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=707
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
Ugh.

That tagline is so embarassing to read that I don't think I'll ever get to see Love and Pop, just because I'd be too ashamed to bring it up to the counter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote
Well that's the premise of the film.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, but they don't have to be so blunt about it. And it's still embarassing to read. "Schoolboy by day...rapist by night!" and "Being the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are rape, ultra-violence and Beethoven" both mean the same thing, but I'd be ashamed of watching A Clockwork Orange if they had picked the first one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 am Reply with quote
jfrog: I'm more ashamed that whatever rape was in the Clockwork Orange book got changed to consensual sex in the movie, which sort of defeats the purpose of making Alex detestable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jfrog: I'm more ashamed that whatever rape was in the Clockwork Orange book got changed to consensual sex in the movie, which sort of defeats the purpose of making Alex detestable.

What? Did you even see A Clockwork Orange? It wasn't consensual sex. What about the entire 'Singin' in the Rain' sequence?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:26 am Reply with quote
Yes, the old geezer got beat up, but Alex still got laid. He hit on some girls, and got into a threesome with them. (But if it was rape, it was fast-forwarded to make it appear otherwise.) The book(with the original ending) is better.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, the old geezer got beat up, but Alex still got laid. He hit on some girls, and got into a threesome with them. (But if it was rape, it was fast-forwarded to make it appear otherwise.) The book(with the original ending) is better.

Yeah, but that threesome wasn't until a bit later in the movie. What Zac is refering to is in the scene right after the old man gets beat up, when Alex rapes his wife.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Kubrick seemed to tone it down by suggesting it was an affair or that he just killed her. I always wonder how that film got an X rating in the first place. Again, the book is better. Kubrick's just horrible at adaptations.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Even if you ignore the fact that Alex's buddies were holding her while he sliced off her clothes to very obvious protest, later in the film the old man says that "she was very badly raped." So where the hell are you getting all this?

And yes, the book was better (the movie was too detached), but Lolita and The Shining were both great. So no, Kubrick does not suck at adaptations.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
jfrog: Well ok, I either didn't pay attention to that part, or the English accents were too thick, but I guess what bothered me about it is that the book portrays him as the monster that he is, and the movie just makes him look like a misguided criminal. I haven't seen Lolita, but the Shining's overrated. Anyway, getting back to the topic, I commend Kino for telling it like it is for Love and Pop, and rebuke Kubrick for twisting the message of the book for his own convenience.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd pick this up simply because it's Anno, but it just looks so ridiculously... ecchi. I would be ashamed to buy this, but maybe I'd rent it at Blockbuster in a generic case... heh...

As for Kubrick goes, I love Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, which was an adaptation (a comedic adaptation, but still) of a book called "Red Alert." 2001: A Space Odyssey was based on a book as well, if I'm not mistaken. So I wouldn't say that he's horrible at adaptations. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange yet, but I've read a hell of a lot about it.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quote
The movie 2001 came before the book, but we should probably stop discussing Kubrick now.

I don't think they're telling it like it is. All the reviews of Love and Pop I've read said it's neither sleazy or depressing, and the most memorable thing about the film is the wide variety of Really Neat Camera Angles. And I've never seen anything that makes it sound like a remake of Angel, the movie Kino stole the tagline from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2