• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Ship Sola, True Tears in DVD Boxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy that both series are coming out. Sola and True Tears are excellent anime that I really want to add to my collection, and I'd been worried that they'd never see the light of day in R1.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm good to see they're out but i'll grab these when they hit a rightstuf sale or I can find them cheap on Amazon. And it is still too much- Media blasters releases their 13 episodes series for around $19. If it was that low, i'd pick it up now.

And i just bought Girl Meets Girl last night, sub only for $8.99 new @ rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
james039

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if this comes off as a flame, but (directed at those complaining about the price) you people are CHEAPSKATES!! First of all, if you don't like Sola don't buy it, no problem there, if you DO like it, the standard price of a show like this would be (going by media blasters super-cheap sub only discs) $19.99 / 5 episodes * 3 volumes = $59.97 total price. Bandai is selling this for $44.99 (all prices aforementioned are MSRP, you WILL find it cheaper). If this is too pricey for you, you may as well be a pirate expecting this to compete with the illegal fansubs.

Just last year, BVUSA was set to put this out for 5 volumes at $49.99 each or $249.94 MSRP and sub only. This announcement just shaved off $205 dollars from the price. Don't go telling me it's too expensive Razz
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Just goes to show how much anime is devalued in America...anime DVD's SHOULD cost 60-70 dollars per volume. That is the normal and natural price.

An entire one-cour series for just 45 dollars is ridiculously cheap. It's almost insultingly cheap. People can't complain about this.

Edit - fixed typo.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
I apologize if this comes off as a flame, but (directed at those complaining about the price) you people are CHEAPSKATES!! First of all, if you don't like Sola don't buy it, no problem there, if you DO like it, the standard price of a show like this would be (going by media blasters super-cheap sub only discs) $19.99 / 5 episodes * 3 volumes = $59.97 total price. Bandai is selling this for $44.99 (all prices aforementioned are MSRP, you WILL find it cheaper). If this is too pricey for you, you may as well be a pirate expecting this to compete with the illegal fansubs.

Just last year, BVUSA was set to put this out for 5 volumes at $49.99 each or $249.94 MSRP and sub only. This announcement just shaved off $205 dollars from the price. Don't go telling me it's too expensive Razz

Yes, one year has elapsed enabling the price to be lowered because they made some money off it in Japan already. That's the benefit of not having a simultaneous release. Also, the packaging will be cheaper and possibly no physical extras because it's an Anime Legends release. This also lowers the price. But....a MB initial release will have better packaging and therefore it's price will be higher. However, the discounts on and offline will be significant. So, in the end a MB release will still be cheaper and with better packaging.

Someone (britannicamoore) has finally made an apples to apples comparison.
Basroil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be picking up Sola and True Tears but with Bandai's problems with replication lately I'll be waiting for an all clear first before I buy.
Flaed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no new word on the status of Shigofumi.

And that was the only one of three I sort of wanted, too. Confused Oh well, it's not the end of the world, and maybe Shigofumi is still on the way.

I don't really think the price is unreasonable at all, but then again I have both of the Gunbusters sitting on my shelf, so maybe I'm just crazy. Razz Still, it's less at retail price than the first season of Victorian Romance Emma, which is three episodes shorter than sola and sub-only.
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well the prices on these are now in the range I will be considering them. They both look interesting but I wasn't going to pay Bandai Visual prices. so a win all in all.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Sub-only? Still?

Is Bandai TRYING to push people away? Are they TRYING to alienate potential fans?

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking the same thing. -_- I wouldn't pick up True Tears anyway, but I've seriously got to reconsider my interest in Sola with no dub. -_-;

Flaed wrote:

And that was the only one of three I sort of wanted, too.

Ditto, almost. Sola is alright, but I'm dying for a Shigofumi release here. The fact it will almost definitely be sub-only is crushing, even if it does come out however...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I would definitely have bought it at that price. I see a lot of people saying the dub was canceled because of popularity, but it says right in the article is was do to licensing issues which I'm guessing means they were still using BV sub-only agreement and couldn't (or chose not for some unknown reason) renegotiate.

Emerje

No, that was the trick that was pulled during the Bandai session. Honneamise came out first and cancelled them due to "licensing issues" then Bandai Ent came out near the end and announced them as new Anime Legend licenses followed by Honneamise announcing Akira Blu-ray.

Ah, I see, I had only read the news article and not the panel report. Still, that's really odd, for BV, a staunch sub only company to have wanted to do a dub only for Bandai Ent. to turn around and cancel the dub in favor of a sub only box set. It's a shame, I might have actually given BV a chance if they had done dubs.

einhorn303 wrote:
Just goes to show how much anime is devalued in America...anime DVD's SHOULD cost 60-70 dollars per episode. That is the normal and natural price.

Are you insane? You seriously think DVDs should be $60-$70 PER EPISODE? Even the Japanese wouldn't pay those kinds of prices. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Just goes to show how much anime is devalued in America...anime DVD's SHOULD cost 60-70 dollars per episode. That is the normal and natural price.

...yeahno. The only sort of entertainment I'd pay $3 a minute for would involve a lap dance. And unless those episodes come with a bonus hot chick who grinds her ass into you as you watch, then that's utterly insane. Razz
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no new word on the status of Shigofumi.

Hopefully because they are dubbing it. I think this one may warrant it.

Was kind of interested in True Tears, but oh well. It's no Emma, and it's not a classic, so I will probably let that one fall by the way side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
i'm reading over these posts and I'm noticing that people are saying that this is a "Anime Legends" release... can anyone please tell me what this means Question Embarassed
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
It means it's a bare bones brick.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The prices look good to me, especially considering retailers usually discount a nice chunk off MSRP. I see myself picking up both.

A DVD selling for <$3/episode (sale price not MSRP) has always been an instant sale in my book for a series I'm interested in.

Edit: I should probably note that I've never been a huge fan of dubs. If they are on a DVD it's certainly welcome (not every dub is horrible), but it's not a dealbreaker if they're not.

Last edited by cyberbeing on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5