• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh great. After championing Mr. X (writing the guide, providing the picture, I think I even nominated him), I then dismissed him on the basis of Naruto being popular and well-known. What happens? Mr. X is currently beating Shikamaru by four votes to three, and one of those votes listed the guide - the one I wrote - as being a factor.

So this is irony, huh? Oh flugger.

This is probably the reason why his guide entry is substantially more negative and less compelling than the others. As much as I like the idea of having a guide, they can be easily abused. Personal prejudices can easily affect them. For example, someone with a bias against a character will inevitable write a less compelling guide. I believe that Shikimaru's guide should be rewritten by one of his supporters not by someone who initially supported his opponent. Right now his guide sticks out like a sore thumb and it also seems less than befitting for a character chosen as a seed for this tournament.

On a side note, thank you Tony. I haven't audibly laughed that hard from reading a whine post in ages. It also seems very out of character for you. However, this is given that I have never met you, heck I guess you could be a madman or just a normal someone who happened to be genuinely miffed and just decided to vent.

My votes will come later today. I have been very busy. =/
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have a copy of the character guide? Key's is still 404.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The Guide link on the opening post never had a problem; that was only with the link on the Group A pairings. It has now been fixed.

Olliff wrote:
This is probably the reason why his guide entry is substantially more negative and less compelling than the others. As much as I like the idea of having a guide, they can be easily abused. Personal prejudices can easily affect them. For example, someone with a bias against a character will inevitable write a less compelling guide. I believe that Shikimaru's guide should be rewritten by one of his supporters not by someone who initially supported his opponent. Right now his guide sticks out like a sore thumb and it also seems less than befitting for a character chosen as a seed for this tournament.

Um, huh? I wrote the Guide entry for Shikamaru, and don't see how you're considering it that inherently negative. I have nothing against Naruto (hell, I'm still watching it even through the fillers) and wouldn't have picked Shikamaru as a seed if I didn't think he was more worthy than 90% of this field to be here. There are entries in the Guide that are immensely weaker than his, primarily because I had trouble coming up with any concrete evidence to support the characters being here. (About 15-20% of the field probably doesn't actually belong in this tournament - like Kenshin, for instance - but the first round should weed most of them out.) Shikamaru, however, is going to be one of the easier competitors to do clips for in later rounds because he shows off his intelligence more obviously than most.

Last edited by Key on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
This one is against my bracket, but I think Near sounds cooler than Rowe.

Um, did we watch the same shows? Alex was silent and feral, while Near was closer to a smarmy imp.

Onward! All of my votes are pretty conservative, most are based on my bracket, a lot of which went by the initial voting process for the shows I didn't know. And there are many.

Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.
Dr. Kosaku Tokita, Paprika

Voting For: L
Reason: L is brilliant, and a lot of his reasoning made sense (unlike his smirking successor.) For much the same reasons as everyone else has said, he deserves to move on without much debate. I'm sure there'll be some heated debates much later, but not for now.

Group A-2
Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Yuko
Reason: The popularity of xxxHolic combined with that picture. She just looks at you like she's smarter than you.

Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig vs.
Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise

Voting For: Kazundo Gouda
Reason: I'd put my money on a GitS villain any day-- I've only seen GitS:SAC but the quality of that season is enough to convince me that this character should probably move on.

vote change
Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil vs.
Choji Suitengu, Speed Grapher

Voting For: Suitengu
Reason: Derek convinced me

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Makubex
Reason: I have no idea, just going with my bracket on this one.

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Kanzaki
Reason: An IQ of 200? That settles it.

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Voting For: Motoko
Reason: Anyway who has seen the GitS franchise would be hard-pressed to vote against the competent, quick, and commanding major at this stage in the game.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Alex Rowe
Reason: Give me a break, Alex commands the most feared ship in the sky and has enough foresight to spoiler[hide the last of the four mysterium from the evil Delphine, not to mention exact his revenge upon her.] In contrast, Near's reasoning felt far-fetched to me.

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits vs.
Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun, UC-related Gundam titles

Voting For: Char
Reason: Based solely on what I've heard.

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Ayumu
Reason: I love Kenshin, but he really isn't right for this tournament. Saito is!

Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko
Reason: I don't remember any of the Sailors being particularly clever, and the word cunning could never be used to describe any of them.

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico vs.
Ichigo Morino, Please Teacher!

Voting For: Yurika
Reason: The entry from Please Teacher is borderline, and Yurika is much like a more flamboyant Tessa Testarossa.

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku vs.
Dewey Novak, Eureka Seven

Voting For: Dewey Novak
Reason: Though I like Shuurei and she's certainly book-smart and clever, Dewey is more calculating and creates the large-scale plans of a mastermind.

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Autor
Reason: The Guide

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances(aka Kare Kano)

Voting For: Miria
Reason: This is a vote against Yukino. Sure she's intelligent and booksmart but that is barely a focus of the series, and it is more important for her to have emotional insight than intelligence, which puts her good grades in the back seat for me.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru
Reason: Because he's a seed, even though I too have trouble believing that this type of intelligence was born in the world of Naruto.

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.

Voting For: Kosaku Tokita
Reason: Most people are probably going to vote for L because Death Note is such a popular anime. I've seen neither, so I can vote for the underdog just because Razz Also, Tokita seems like quite a smartie.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-2
Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Yuuko Ichihara
Reason: I've seen xxxHolic, and Yuuko-san came across as very intelligent indeed.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-3

Reason: Much as I dislike him, I have to admit Gouda is one cunning bastard all right.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-4

Voting For: Yuko Amasawa
Reason: I've seen Dennou Coil, and think she was quite clever.
Possibility of Change: Might change when I get around to watching Speed Grapher.

Group A-5
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Makubex (changed)
Reason: After watching PSME, Kobayashi turns out to be little more than a mean brat who abuses his superpowers.
Possibility of Change: already changed

Group A-6
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Shima Katase
Reason: From the descriptions she seems to show more intelligence than Kanzaki.
Possibility of Change: I've added Stellvia to my to-watch list.

Group A-7

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: Having seen all of GITS, Rutherford would have needed to be very smart to win from Kusanagi. From his description he seems to be little more than a prodigy musician.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Alex Rowe (changed)
Reason: Considering the arguments again, Rowe doesn't seem like such a bad choice; and Near is way too popular.
Possibility of Change: Already changed.

Group A-9

Voting For: Minoru Kokobunji (changed)
Reason: Arguments made for Kokobunji convinced me that he is smarter than I thought from the description alone, and Aznable isn't.
Possibility of Change: Already changed.

Group A-10
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Ayumu Narumi
Reason: Himura seems to be skilled/trained rather than smart.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-11
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko Uchida
Reason: Her description sounds more convincing.
Possibility of Change: I could be convinced.

Group A-12

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru
Reason: Both seem likeable, but Misumaru seems to show more of her intelligence.
Possibility of Change: I could be convinced.

Group A-13

Voting For: Shuurei Kou
Reason: She uses her intelligence for good instead of evil.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-14
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Gilbert Durandal
Reason: Seems to show more intelligence; described more convincingly.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.

Reason: I've seen her in action as a leader and investigator. Yukino seems to be no more than a smarter-than-the-average-highschooler.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Mr. X
Reason: Mr. X seems the more impressive of the two. Much more so. And dtm42 asked me to vote for mr. X.
Possibility of Change: Nope.

There are several cases where I have seen neither anime, and the description of the character I voted for is only marginally more impressive. I'll look over the other votes to see if someone convinces me to change mine.

Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
rainbowvourage wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Um, did we watch the same shows? Alex was silent and feral, while Near was closer to a smarmy imp.

No, we did not, because I haven't seen a lick of either. When I said "sounds cooler," I was referring to their descriptions.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

You've got the wrong Yuko there. That picture is Yasako (Yuko Okonagi).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
rainbowvourage wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

No, we did not, because I haven't seen a lick of either. When I said "sounds cooler," I was referring to their descriptions.

In his defense, Near is cool as a cucumber. Actually, they both have a notoriously monotone approach to handling the tough ones. Near's is just in the body of a pubescent boy. He manages to keep his cool even when spoiler[all but four of his team members suddenly fall over dead around him, some in violent fashions.] Alex proves himself pretty cold in many circumstances, but nobody can accuse Near of being smarmy by comparison.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Key wrote:

You've got the wrong Yuko there. That picture is Yasako (Yuko Okonagi).

Ugh. That's the problem with doing image searches; the engine picks up background words that don't connect to the actual picture and still shows the picture as being relevant because of that, even when it's wrong or for an entirely different series.

Can someone who actually knows the series recommend a proper shot of the correct character, then? I'll do an update if I have solid material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had to go most of the way down the page in Google's image search to find one of her. Here you go. It's not quite as big as most of the other pictures, but it's plenty clear, and it's the right character.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Can someone who actually knows the series recommend a proper shot of the correct character, then? I'll do an update if I have solid material.

Here are some shots from the net. Had I known you needed some of her, I could've taken all the shots you wanted just a few days ago. Ah well.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven
Is that enough?
konkonsn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

Reason: Pft. Tokita is some uber-techie, but L pretty much outwits every genius or convoluted plan that comes his way. Tokita couldn't even figure out who was screwing with his own device.

Group A-2

Voting For: Yuko Ichihara
Reason: Though I actually have seen Case Closed by not xxxHOLiC, I have to say that Yuko's mastery of various subjects and ability to read ahead of the situation is far more impressive than the childish detective antics of Kudo.

Group A-3

Reason: I think outwitting people in cyberspace where everything is connected to everyone's minds and vast information is available is way trickier than military tactics.

Group A-4

Voting For: Choji Suitengu
Reason:Manipulating everything behind the scenes vs. using your general wit to outwit a bunch of fighters? Hm...yeah...

Group A-5

Voting For: Rin Kobayashi
Reason: Too bad the descriptions weren't better. Makubex doesn't sound very impressive as just a computer genius.

Group A-6

Voting For: Shima Katase
Reason: Finding away around her weaknesses? And being at the top, top, top? Yeah, voting for her.

Group A-7

Voting For: Major Kusanagi
Reason: Agh, this was a hard one because they're both really good leaders. But Kusanagi totally gets it for being such a tactical expert in her era.

Group A-8

Voting For: Near
Reason: Yeah, you're going to need something better than a ship's tactician to beat the successor of L.

Group A-9

Voting For: Char Aznable
Reason: Um, Chobits vs. Gundam pretty much wins it for Char, but if you want something better, you've got a kid who's a wiz with computers vs. a guy who just wins. Everything.

Group A-10

Reason: Kenshin's good at reading his opponents, but it's more battle instinct and experience, I think, than out-and-out genius. He doesn't seem to display this level of ability outside of battle. Ayumu outwits teenage killer after killer. I gotta give it to him.

Group A-11

Reason: I love Amy, but a bookworm doesn't win against a quantum physics researcher who talks with alternate world geniuses.

Group A-12

Voting For: Yurika Misumara
Reason: Ichigo may be observant, but that seems to be about it. Yurika, on the other hand, wins the respect of other captains.

Group A-13

Reason: Shuurei is pretty smart, but nothing too special for a shoujo heroine. I'll take the writer's word for it that Dewey's complicated plan is really that complicated.

Group A-14

Voting For: Gilbert
Reason: The Author in Princess Tutu isn't really all that smart; he just has super-powers that the other characters can't really contend with. Gilbert is once again some sort of mastermind that sounds pretty smart.

Group A-15

Voting For: Mira
Reason: Being the top of your class in a Japanese school is impressive, but not really all that special?

Group A-16

Voting For: Shikamaru Nara
Reason: Someone that gets promoted even though they lose? I'd also say he sounds like a real natural genius rather than a smart maniac.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Group A-14

Voting For: Gilbert
Reason: The Author in Princess Tutu isn't really all that smart; he just has super-powers that the other characters can't really contend with. Gilbert is once again some sort of mastermind that sounds pretty smart.

No, no, no. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop That's a really valid argument...against Drosselmeyer. But Autor isn't Drosselmeyer, Autor is the teenaged boy that serves as a mentor to Fakir and doesn't have any powers to speak of. (He says he does, but the anime seems to go out of its way to point out he doesn't.)

(Annnd off I go to work on my own voting...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Group A-3

Reason: I think outwitting people in cyberspace where everything is connected to everyone's minds and vast information is available is way trickier than military tactics.

If you put it like this. I say in terms of military tactics that Yang Wen-li outwitted all of the admirals form LotGH as he was never defeated.

konkonsn wrote:
Reason: Though I actually have seen Case Closed by not xxxHOLiC, I have to say that Yuko's mastery of various subjects and ability to read ahead of the situation is far more impressive than the childish detective antics of Kudo.

Her ability to see ahead into the future does not make her smart she is a dreamgazer she can see the future in her dreams, and thus, act accordingly. It's ability like seeing or hearing it's not an indication of cleverness.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
L,
Death Note vs.

Reason: I love Dr. Tokita, but he doesn't have the intelligence to beat L. Honestly, he's naive enough that I found myself going "What an idiot!" while watching Paprika--I never felt that way towards L.
Possibility of Change: None

Group A-2
Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Reason: I've only seen bits and pieces of each of the character's shows, but from what I've seen of Yuko, she's a bit more clever--she seems to handle things on a much grander scale, and like someone else pointed out, she tends to have things figured out from the beginning (to the point where she seems to be able to see the future, although I don't think she can actually do this.)
Possibility of Change: Fairly high, I keep going back and forth on this one.

Group A-3

Reason: Guide
Possibility of Change: Medium

Group A-4

Voting For: Choji Suitengu
Reason: Guide--if he's manipulating most of the events in the series, that sounds pretty clever.
Possibility of Change: Possible, but unlikely

Group A-5
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Rin Kobayashi
Reason: Guide--a 7-year-old that manipulates everyone? I think I need to watch this series.
Possibility of Change: Unlikely

Group A-6
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Urumi Kanzaki

Group A-7

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: Admittedly I'm more familiar with GITS, but the Major has SO many areas that she shows her intelligence that it's hard to vote for Eyes.
Possibility of Change: None.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Near
Reason: Familiarity, plus the guide didn't give me a good enough argument to vote against Near.
Possibility of Change: Not much.

Group A-9

Voting For: Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun
Reason: Not hugely familiar with either series, but I've definitely heard of Char, and his guide entry sounds as impressive as his reputation.
Possibility of Change: Extremely low

Group A-10
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Reason: In hindsight I probably should've voted against Kenshin in the nomination process, but oh well. Ayumu's guide entry definitely makes him sound much more fitting for the tournament.
Possibility of Change: None.

Group A-11
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Reason: Guide--As a kid I viewed Amy as a highly intelligent character, but she's not a quantum physics researcher.
Possibility of Change: Low

Group A-12

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru
Possibility of Change: Low

Group A-13

Group A-14
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Autor
Reason: Admittedly, I'm a Princess Tutu fangirl, and Autor's one of my favorite characters. But after checking with a friend of mine that's a big mecha geek, it sounds like the plot surrounding Durandel is pretty far-fetched and flimsy. And Autor is impressive because he's one of the few characters (if not the only character) in the series that relies on intelligence, not magic or physical strength, to make an impact on the story. Not to mention he's the only character in the series to figure outspoiler[that Kinkan is being controlled by a story without actually being a character in the story itself]. The rest of the population is entirely oblivious to that fact.
Possibility of Change: None. That's a fangirl for you...

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru Nara
Reason: I looked at the guide and other's votes, but I was still indecisive, so I flipped a coin.
Possibility of Change: High
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 90