• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
And why would Zero be "emo"? Well, let's see. He saw his parents were murdered right in front of him. He was forced to become a vampire against his will. He's in danger of become insane from bloodlust, meaning he'd have to be killed. His insanely jealous twin brother betrayed him not once, but twice. The girl he loved loves someone else and he recently found out she's a pureblood vampire like the one that turned him. And oh, he just found out that he's been turned into a weapon.

Yeah, he should be the picture of emotional health. Rolling Eyes Personally, I hate it the term "emo" and anyway it doesn't describe Zero. People who are supposedly "emo" whine and complain about trivial things. That's not Zero. Yes, he's depressed and he has every right to be. But he's not a whiner.
siken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
lmao i didn't call him one i just said he came off to me as one. Besides he's all closed up anyway. I love Zero, better than Kaname WHICH btw his parents were killed as well, but he seems fine. xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Me and the other people in the anime club had a lot of fun mocking him for this, but it is unwarranted. Acting emo only applies if you're overdramatizing your circumstances. This doesn't even apply to Shinji when you consider that he's mentally disturbed.

It suuuuure doesn't apply to Zero. I was pleasantly surprised by how proactive he was, actually, much like Yuuki.
siken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Idk, Zero reminds me of how Cloud used to be in the beginning of FFVII: Advent Children.
Btw, speaking of Zero so much. Say he used the Bloody Rose on yuuki before spoiler[she turned into a vampire] would that have mean she would've died?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The Bloody Rose and other vampire hunter weapons don't work against humans. So no, he could not have killed her.
siken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
But then how could Zero feel her inside of him? He's never drank from Yuuki the Vampire.. ughhhhh! >W<
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
yes, but it activated inside of him when she turned.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
siken wrote:
But then how could Zero feel her inside of him? He's never drank from Yuuki the Vampire.. ughhhhh! >W<

Well, that didn't sound sexual AT ALL. Wink

The blood inside of her "awakened," and this applied to, well, all her blood. Vampires are the undead, after all, and they drink blood to keep themselves from going dry. It doesn't go into their stomach, it goes into their veins and stays there until it runs out and they have to get more. The Yuuki-blood in Zero's veins awakened as well, so yeah, it was strong stuff and drove him a little batty.
siken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
siken wrote:

Well, that didn't sound sexual AT ALL. Wink

The blood inside of her "awakened," and this applied to, well, all her blood. Vampires are the undead, after all, and they drink blood to keep themselves from going dry. It doesn't go into their stomach, it goes into their veins and stays there until it runs out and they have to get more. The Yuuki-blood in Zero's veins awakened as well, so yeah, it was strong stuff and drove him a little batty.

alright, thank you Anime hyper No more questions! >_>;
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
I know I'm being nitpicky but I'd like to comment on JesuOtaku's comment on undead vampires. I don't think the vampires in Vampire Knight are supposed to be undead, they're more like a different species. In the VK universe, most people are born vampires, only humans are turned. And as for the former humans, I think "mutant" would be a better description since they don't necessarily die, just transform.

But then again, there do seem to be some similiarities between the undead variety and VK vampires, especially concerning the resurrection powers of the purebloods. They are the only one who are "immortal" and can die only by murder or suicide. Mixed blood vampires live much longer than humans but I think eventually die of old age. I think they can also die of illness or from serious accidents, though this depends on how powerful their lineage is or is not. The purebloods seem more like traditional vampires except they can have children in the same way humans do.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I know I'm being nitpicky but I'd like to comment on JesuOtaku's comment on undead vampires. I don't think the vampires in Vampire Knight are supposed to be undead, they're more like a different species. In the VK universe, most people are born vampires, only humans are turned. And as for the former humans, I think "mutant" would be a better description since they don't necessarily die, just transform.

But then again, there do seem to be some similiarities between the undead variety and VK vampires, especially concerning the resurrection powers of the purebloods. They are the only one who are "immortal" and can die only by murder or suicide. Mixed blood vampires live much longer than humans but I think eventually die of old age. I think they can also die of illness or from serious accidents, though this depends on how powerful their lineage is or is not. The purebloods seem more like traditional vampires except they can have children in the same way humans do.

They're not zombies or anything, but all vampires are "undead." You know the history of the vampire legend, right?

There's WAY too many versions, but most tie their origin to the Lord of Dragons, Count Dracula himself. He, for disparate and unagreed upon reasons, was excommunicated and stripped of power, which was given to his nephew or brother, depending on what you read. Desperate for vengeance, he promised his soul to the devil in return for an eternal life with which he would use to haunt the nobility and terrorize the denizens of Transylvania where he once held power. He was granted this power only after death, when the devil was sure that his thirst for vengeance really would not be satisfied. He was given power over darkness and supreme authority over all earthly demonic forces in return for his soul and the obligation to drink from the living to keep blood in his veins. Vampires, then, are viewed as the immortal combination of man, beast, and demon, and have only been depicted as attractive and masterful as of the last 150 years or so. They are not undead because they had to die before they became vampires, like zombies would, but they are in fact born dead, or at least devoid of their own life force, requiring them to absorb others' in order to keep "un-living." (You notice in the case of Yuuki that a vampire when first born needs blood immediately. Vampires in lore were always stillborn until their lust kicked in, often killing their first victim outright, sometimes their own parent.)

This is the story from which springs all European vampire lore. The rules may change with future generations and other reiterations, but unless the story changes its vampires' history (and almost none do, lest fans be confused) it's naturally assumed that the vampires of the current time period are the same cursed species. (Unless the story takes place somewhere other than Northern Europe, where the legend changes drastically. Few do. The European tale is the coolest.)

So yeah, they are their own race, but the idea is that it's not a "natural" race, but one born of a blood pact with the devil. (Don't they say something about being damned in VK? I don't remember.) In VK anyway, the purebloods are probably direct descendants of the first vampire lord, Dracula, who did not intermarry with human beings. The nobility goes down the line as such, with those who have intermarried and muddied their bloodline losing power down the line, etc., therefore making themselves more human and oddly enough, finite. That's a liberty of VK, but it explains the ties to the old legend.
siken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Can you be born undead though? I'm not very familiar with a lot of vampire things except True Blood and VK. From what I can recall though I don't ever remember them saying they were already dead unlike True Blood they say it rather quite a few times.

Theres only one immortal vampire in VKG right? spoiler[The one who took over shiki's body? Kaname's father died from some kind of sword but would that really happen the same way to that vampire?]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
siken wrote:
Can you be born undead though? I'm not very familiar with a lot of vampire things except True Blood and VK. From what I can recall though I don't ever remember them saying they were already dead unlike True Blood they say it rather quite a few times.

Theres only one immortal vampire in VKG right? spoiler[The one who took over shiki's body? Kaname's father died from some kind of sword but would that really happen the same way to that vampire?]

Yes, all vampires (that are born at all, some lore says vampires can't reproduce without a human, but VK and some others clearly do not) are born dead. They are stillborn and must drink a lot of blood immediately, usually a fatal amount that leaves them orphaned considering who the nearest target is...some stories say that, in animalistic fashion, the parents prepare a human sacrifice beforehand.

I think the implication is that no vampires are really "immortal," but the purebloods are tough SOBs. Rido hasn't actually been attacked by the anti-vampire weapons yet, right? I think that gun can put just about any vampire down for good. Still, the lower nobility is clearly weaker, being killed off with less power, even able to be killed by their own kind, (purebloods probably require actual Hunter weapons, and strong ones) and not being able to pass on the venom that spreads their curse like the purebloods can. (Actually, Vampire Knight has some pretty solid "vampire rules" that make perfect sense in context with the origins of the vampire.)
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
But there is no indication in VK that vampires are born undead. The vampire children of VK don't even drink blood; they absorb life force energy. (Plus, I imagine they feed off their parents and maybe other close relatives.) But not necessarily enough to cause death; well, at least Yuuki didn't die, but then she's a special case. Smile

As for Yuuki, of course she needed to drink blood. She was born a vampire and had never drank any blood. Shizuka also needed to drink after she got back in her original body which I think she said she abandoned right after she turned Zero.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
But there is no indication in VK that vampires are born undead. The vampire children of VK don't even drink blood; they absorb life force energy. (Plus, I imagine they feed off their parents and maybe other close relatives.) But not necessarily enough to cause death; well, at least Yuuki didn't die, but then she's a special case. Smile

As for Yuuki, of course she needed to drink blood. She was born a vampire and had never drank any blood. Shizuka also needed to drink after she got back in her original body which I think she said she abandoned right after she turned Zero.

No indication, no. It's just kind of the general lore, which VK may or may not adhere to. I forgot about that life energy thing, though. Vampires have an endless supply of that as long as their blood hasn't dried up yet. That WOULD explain why none of the vampires appear to have orphaned themselves. It's a good idea! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9