• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Live Action DBZ from Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The best way to make this a good movie is by giving the Great Akira Toriyama creative control. Only he can write a good story for the DBZ movie. Anyway, we've got 4 possible anime-based live-action movies coming up.

1.DBZ
2.Astroboy
3.Evangelion (I don't know if Evangelion is known by a lot of people outside anime fandom enough to become a live-action movie)
4.Speed Racer

They better be good!

But are parents going to be naive about the movie? After all, they let their kids watch the edited episodes and think it's a kids show. The movie is said to be pg13 or R. (I read this in one of the earlier news on the DBZ movie at upcomingmovies.com)

Last edited by Animefan16 on Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm still skeptical that the live-action Evangelion will ever be made without a major studio backing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dustopants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
hey u guys... just look at how good the x men movies were... maybye the dbz movies will be just as good...
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
That's true. The x-men movies were good but my only complaint was that they didn't wear their signature costumes except storm and Magneto. Also, The first 2 TMNT movies (I haven't seen the others) were good. Hollywood showed that it could turn American comics/cartoons into blockbuster films. Let's see if they can do the the same for anime.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Do they even have signature costumes anymore? Seems like every time I open one of their books they have a completely new wardrobe.

But that's neither here nor there.

Anyhow, I don't think Toriyama will want much to do with this movie. He's pretty proud of his original works with DB and DBZ, and doesn't seem to like the idea of being associated with the extra projects (like DBGT). And this way if the movie fails he can save face, if it's a success he's praised as the creator, it's a win-win situation for him.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear god of anime, let more anime-baised live action movies in the USA come. In peturiar Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, Pokemon, Carcaptor Sakura or Inu-Yahsa. (I'm bad at spelling in case I mispelled any thing)

Last edited by Angel Lily on Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Sam.:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:46 pm Reply with quote
i think it will probably take like another 2-3 years before they are done with it. no less than 2 years. thats for sure. i mean they haven't got anything done yet. i think it will be tight if they get skilled people to work on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote
There's a sailormoon live-action already but it's in Japanese. I personally like to see a Lupin live-action movie, Detective conan, and Getbackers. They could also do a SLayers movie and hire Peter Jakcson to direct it.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Oh God no!!! Why is their being a live action movie being made of a anime series that is horrible (no plot, characters revive over and over, and fight scenes that drag on for over 20 episodes) Oh wait ADD kids + live action DBZ movie=$$$ For FOX. Twisted Evil

no plot? what the hell are you talking about? i bet you haven't even seen more than one episode and for your information Dragonball series are some of the most popular animes in Japan, Canada, United States, France and many other countries. So are you saying we all have ADD? And like some other dude said on the forum earlier, If you don't like it then don't watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyle Hebert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Kyle Hebert (well, Otherworld Steve) told us the truth about what he knew about the project from the best information source he could find, some receptionist at Fox. The receptionist would likely be aware of the status of the projects in active development, but a studio like Fox would have dozens, if not hundreds, of projects on the back-burner, things that aren't in active production but are ready to go into active production should Fox feel that the time is right, and I doubt a receptionist would be aware of the exact status of all back-burner items like the live-action Dragonball Z.

So, while Kyle Hebert has infinitely more credibility than some anonymous guy on a message board somewhere going "ROLAND EMMERICH IS TEH DIRECTOR AND TEH FLIM WAS MADE IN SECRIT IN BRAZIL AND HUGH JACKMAN WAS GOIN TO BE GOKU BUT HE WAS FIRED FOR HOLDIN UP PRODUCTION", he's still, more or less, "some guy" and a serious industry news source like Variety has far more credibility than he does.

But a lot of screenplays studios commission never get produced, so I wouldn't be preordering tickets to the live-action Dragonball Z just quite yet.

Again, to clarify, my webmaster called Fox.......not me. Though I'd like to consider myself credible, being a voice actor from the show. I'm not privy to any inside information regarding this. I've seriously got nothing to gain by personally posting rumors. My site is focused on many aspects of fandom, and while its no "CNN", I'd like to think items posted on my site can be trusted.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
I really wish Hollywood would pump their money into the anime industry by commissioning a Japanese studio to animate a DBZ movie, rather than make a live-action American version hiring the inexperience screenwriter of the Big Hit of all movies. I keep imagining how good a DBZ movie would look with multimillion dollar Hollywood-budget animation but looks like I'll have to keep on imagining.

I'm not that supportive of 4Kids, but at least they did the right thing by sponsoring a new Yugioh movie rather than making a live-action one.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
I think that there's some potential to this movie. However, I really hope they find a better screenwriter. I really think that DB would make a good trilogy of movies.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
I really wish Hollywood would pump their money into the anime industry by commissioning a Japanese studio to animate a DBZ movie, rather than make a live-action American version hiring the inexperience screenwriter of the Big Hit of all movies.

Actually, a new animation was another idea that Fox was toying around with along with FUNi as the franchise is going to dry up pretty soon. If the movie is a success you can bet they'll re-explore that option.

Proman wrote:
I really think that DB would make a good trilogy of movies.

The original news from FOX was that they'd be doing 4 movies, one for each major DBZ Saga (Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:09 am Reply with quote
Poppycock wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Oh God no!!! Why is :

no plot? what the hell are you talking about? i bet you haven't even seen more than one episode and for your information Dragonball series are some of the most popular animes in Japan, Canada, United States, France and many other countries. So are you saying we all have ADD? And like some other dude said on the forum earlier, If you don't like it then don't watch it.

Lol. Actually I have seen the entire series in spanish in mexico. I admit I was wrong your right it does have a plot which is a villain that is super evil wants to destroy the good guys/take over the universe, the good guys fight the bad guys , the good guys lose good they go back into training were somehow they get 1000* times stronger then they beat the bad guy recycle/repeat this plot in every saga. Great plot huh. Rolling Eyes

I used to like the series until I was 14 years old until I was smart enough to know that DBZ is not a good series. Back then I thought a character powering up for 3 episodes was UBER COOL!!! and beat each other up for 20 + episodes was AWESOME!!! Now I look back and regret that I was interested in that series. I really feel sorry for my friends buying the tapes which they spend a lot of money a few years ago they now regret because now their more matured enough to know it isn't a good series and they just wated their time watching that series(that's their view on the show now). Now the series that they watch are Berserk, Rahxephon, Noir and GTO.

Just because a series is popular doesn't mean it's a good series if that would be the case then movies like Hellboy, Charlie Angels,Bad Boys 2 are "great" movies because they were popular.

Quote:
And like some other dude said on the forum earlier, If you don't like it then don't watch it

Uh isn't that obvious of course I don't watch it and I won't be watching the movie if it's made either.

Read this review it pretty much has the same opinions on how I feel about the show.
http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=79

Last edited by ZODDGUTS on Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Proman wrote:
I really think that DB would make a good trilogy of movies.

The original news from FOX was that they'd be doing 4 movies, one for each major DBZ Saga (Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga).

Emerje

I hate disputing anything you've said in the thread, but I'm pretty sure that information was just a rumour. Certainly, whoever's handling this would have some sort of continguency plans for sequels should the first one do well, but, if this thing is ever going to get a greenlight, Fox would only greenlight the first film initially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8