• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ghost Hunters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I've been looking into Ghost Hunt and sampled the first few episodes on Funi's official "Ghost Hunt" page. I think it was pretty good and considering picking it up. From what I've read (although I skipped posts if I thought they would lead to spoilers), it sounds like the series picks up a bit.

I'll definately look into getting this. . . when I've got the money! LOL

As a side note, while I'm sure xxxHolic is good, it (seems) a little to whimsical for me. . . IDK if thats the case thats just the impression I get. Though I definately want to start collecting Tsubasa.

As for the other two DVDs mentioned here, I've really no interest in either.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
With the exception of the destruction preferences (game system cables as opposed to Gundam figures) the shelf person for this week has described my cat perfectly. Or maybe it's just all cats.

Also, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only person with the Kamichu box set.
escahime65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I happen to be watching my set of Ghost Hunt as I'm reading this. I really enjoy it, especially the arcs that will be coming with the second boxset. Lots and lots of blood in one of the arcs. Twisted Evil

Also, it has a lot more of the mystery element rather than horror, so if you like detective stories definitely give it a try!
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
championferret wrote:
...wow. Ghost Hunt shelf-worthy?
Not that I'm trying to insult your judgement or anything, but I found this the lamest show ever created.

^^;; I think it's because I'm a giant sissy, so I'm easily scared. Even trailers for horror movies scare the hell out of me.

The thing is I'm exactly the same (I scare the crap out of myself if I read allegedly 'true' ghost stories at night), and that's why Ghost Hunt disappointed me so much. I usually like stuff like this, but the only thing I really found scary about it was the fact that JC.Staff (in my humble opinion, which doesnt reflect everyone's) churned out something so bad.
The only thing that made watching it any fun for me was( besides waiting for Gurren Lagann to come) trying to predict what was going to happen next in every given scene (which always seemed to be right).
To me the best thing about the series is the guy that spoke english near the conclusion of that arc with the mansion. (which wasnt a bad arc, I just feel that any decent ideas in this series are poorly executed) It was just so funny that "III'M LEAVING" became a meme in our anime club for a while.

@taiyz: What I meant was the first episode kinda promised to be something interesting, so I came to the following week's screenings with high hopes, only to have the whole thing fall apart with the lamest resolution to that first case possible. I guess this disappointment coloured my view on the rest of the series.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I was surprised to see Ghost Hunt as shelf worthy and XXXholic as only a rental. It's not that I disagree, as I have not seen either of them, but XXXholic seems to have a pretty loyal following and often seems to be held in fairly high regard. I mean, it's no Haruhi or anything, but when it's mentioned it is almost always positive that I've seen.

Maybe she is still reveling in the horrifying reality that is the Total Recall style mutant man hands. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StealthLink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
good shelf I just got into collecting anime and manga about 3 years ago too, but surprisingly my cat looks almost exactly like yours except she has a little nick of ear missing from fights with my neighbor's cats
MBF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Now that sounds like my cat Stealth. I'd post a photo, but the only one I can find is the one that I submitted to Icanhascheezburger.

Getting back on topic, I found that the first 13 episodes of Ghost Hunt were good, but not that scary imo. If I wanted to be scared, I'd watch one of the live action japanese horror films.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one surprised by all the sudden dub hate for xxxHolic? I personally have rather enjoyed Colleen Clinkenbeard as Yuko, and I thought Todd Haberkorn's Watanuki fit the character well. Of course, the 5.1 mix for the English track doesn't hurt either since I prefer 5.1 mixes over flat stereo mixes. Oh well, to each his own I guess!
Peothra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I will take your suggestion and take a look at Ghost Hunters. I love things that try to scare me...although I usually outthink the plots or the monsters and find myself bored.

I also noticed your mention of Ghost Stories. That is an EPIC anime. I have only seen the english dub, but how can you not like a series that mocks both President Bush, Hilary Clinton and pokes some serious fun at American Culture!

Thanks for the heads up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
I bought Ghost Hunt blind, without knowing anything about it, and I enjoyed it. I am a fan of JC staff, and I like the mix of comedy and supernatural horror. The last story arc ( of the first set ) spoiler[was, imo, the saddest so far. Looking forward to the last half.] I was glad that they completed the last arc on the first set, instead of making me wait to see how it is resolved, if you have ever bought sets, you know what I mean....I am looking at you, Naruto and Bleach !!

Edited to add a spoiler, just in case !

Heh... I bought the manga series of Ghost Hunt without knowing anything about it. I was very much rewarded with an enjoyable, and sometimes confusing, story. I'm still waiting for volumes 10 and 11 to make it to America...

Taking a glance at the collection, its rather nice and cat is adorable. I have one that just similiar to it. From the DVDs, I have Bleach, Gunslinger Girl, and Tsubasa. From the manga, I have Tsubasa, Death Note, and Chrono Crusade.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
I will take your suggestion and take a look at Ghost Hunters. I love things that try to scare me...although I usually outthink the plots or the monsters and find myself bored.

I also noticed your mention of Ghost Stories. That is an EPIC anime. I have only seen the english dub, but how can you not like a series that mocks both President Bush, Hilary Clinton and pokes some serious fun at American Culture!

Thanks for the heads up!

Ironically, I liked Ghost Stories too, but not for the dub. Let it be said I am a BIG dub fan, but this dub turned me off big time. Seriously, you had the same 4 or 5 insult jokes run into the ground. To each his own, though. However, I watched the show subbed and found the story far more engaging and enjoyable. Personally I prefer script accuracy in my dubs, but that is not to say re-writes can't work. I found the Shin-chan I have seen on AS to be quite funny to watch.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
You're not a wuss.
I watched the first dvd & had to pick my teen up ffrom work at 10 PM & I was looking over my shoulder a lot.

It's not scary in the modern "We'll overload your senses with blood & violence" or "Jump out of dark places at the screen to make you jump" (That pissed me off in 6th Sense"), but Ghost Hunt is a good, solid, old fashioned spooky sort of tale. I've long been of the opinion a lot of what anyone likes or dislikes is what they bring to the table (seat) when they view it. Few of us actually come empty-handed so we're really pre-disposed to a certain opinion. "I really want to see Gurren Laggan, what's this crap on ahead of it?" They are really 2 different types of titles entirely (I was disappointed in GL myself & I have my share of mech titles). When I saw Speed Racer in the theater I wasn't expecting anything, but I loved it probably because I expected it to be lame as anything & it was actually fun.

I came to Ghost Hunt from the manga because of the 12 Kingdoms connection. My first personal gauge for an anime of a manga title is "Who's in the cast?" I only follow male VA's, but the only name I recognized from this one was Ken Narita, the eternal "big brother" type it seems as Lin. I also happened to recognize one of the chicks from Slayers-not bad for me, but it also suggests they studio was cheaping out using less known VA's. Yeah, it's impossible to follow all the VA's in Japan, but I am familiar with over 100 common male VA's at least by name to the point I can associate them with one other title. (It was on Marmalade Boy where it was pointed out anime studios often do 2 modes for casting--a bunch of names or 1 or 2 names with a bunch of new artists who will hopefully learn something from the vets on the set. On Area 88, the director or producer or whoever they were interviewing was totally amazed at how the vets just knocked out the scenes, rarely flubbing)
However, I was fond enough of the manga story to try the anime, though I had it for a week before I watched (nervous it would suck). The first 3 eps aren't a bad start, following the manga pretty well, but yeah, I could see a lot of people walking away at that point. 13 eps in, we still aren't getting as deep as we are in the manga. We learn there's a reason Lin is so curt (having to do with the war & the Japanese attrocities committed on the Chinese) which I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't make it into the anime, but will seriously undermine the character if it isn't brought in. I seem to recall we learned more about Naru during the spoon ep, or spoiler[maybe it was later we learned about the relationship between Lin & Naru being more keeper & dangerous animal. ]

As for the higher rating than XxxHolic, it is up to the viewer to decide & it was stated an issue was Watanuki's lack of growth. Some people are slower than others. We are just getting to that in the manga it seems where MAYBE he's getting somewhere. Clamp is Clamp & Clamp is huge so dis their stuff at one's own risk. I'm waiting for this & Tsubasa as a box myself because I'm always disappointed in Clamp anime projects almost never being as complex & layered as Clamp manga. Only CCS worked as an anime for me wile the others just leave too much out/change too much. That's the baggage I bring to Clamp titles on anime--that I love their stories so much no one can seem to live up to faithfully reproducing them.
Dardre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I found that I really like Ghost Hunt. Is it super-scary? Not really, though I thought the Doll House episodes were pretty creepy. The series isn't strictly Horror, so much a Occult Detective; that means that the stories are a bit more focused on solving a mystery rather than freaky stuff happening (though there's plenty of that). So if you're looking for The Ring or something similar, you'll probably be disappointed.

If I had to nit-pick it, I'd say that the humor (of which there is actually quite a lot of) can sometimes break the 'mood'. Of course in at least one case, it actually made that particular episode one of my favorites so far Laughing .
animem@ster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
the kitty is so adorable!! Very Happy Very Happy
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Secondly, make sure to keep them honest on the price. Occasionally some stores screw it up... BB is still charging $54 for Bleach S2, while Amazon and Wally world are $39.99, but they will match.

Any tips you care to share on training BB staff to price match with Amazon are greatly appreciated.

Caught the Dead Space (game) special Tuesday night on SciFi, and toward the end, one of the producers is going on about "how they had come up with all this backstory and history, but it wouldn't fit in the game. So they made a separate comic and animation." I guess we should be lucky they pulled the garbage out of the game, so all we have to do is take one look and pass. Special edition add-ons do not make for good merchandising or blind purchases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4